G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Gas tank sensor???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 12:12 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Gas tank sensor???

Hello all,

This is only the 3rd time I filled up the gas tank on my car. Noticed something strange. 1st time during filled up, just like any car, the pump stopped when it was full. 2nd time, it didn't trigger to stop and it was late when I realized gas started dripping out on the car. I just came back from my 3rd filled up. It stopped about 10 times which I was pumping gas. I drove about 235 miles this time so I know that means 10+ gallons at minimum so I filled up about 10 gallons and of course the tank wasn't full. Is there a problem? Is there a sensor on the gas tank telling the pump to stop? Could it be just two bad pumps in a row or something I should be concern about? The weather here is awful about 9 degrees in NY, not sure if that makes any difference. Thanks

Old 01-22-2005, 01:20 AM
It's not the critic......
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a problem with my gas tank when I first bought the car, 2004 5at coupe, I couldnt get any gas in the tank! Imagine standing at the pump, with an almost empty tank, brand new g and the gas nozzle would keep clicking off! Each time I squeezed the handle it would squirt a drop or 2 in there, but then click off no matter how I turned the nozzle.......man ....frustrating! Took it to the dealer and they replaced the tank (turned out I wasnt the only one with this problem cause I had to wait a week, it was on backorder......the dealer was able to squeeze in about a 1/2 a tank (they held the nozzle upside down and hopped on 1 leg or something) so I had enough gas to wait.......they said there was a quality issue with some of the tanks.......you might want to take it to the dealer for a check.......

Old 01-22-2005, 01:26 AM
Originally Posted by shooter
I had a problem with my gas tank when I first bought the car, 2004 5at coupe, I couldnt get any gas in the tank! Imagine standing at the pump, with an almost empty tank, brand new g and the gas nozzle would keep clicking off! Each time I squeezed the handle it would squirt a drop or 2 in there, but then click off no matter how I turned the nozzle.......man ....frustrating! Took it to the dealer and they replaced the tank (turned out I wasnt the only one with this problem cause I had to wait a week, it was on backorder......the dealer was able to squeeze in about a 1/2 a tank (they held the nozzle upside down and hopped on 1 leg or something) so I had enough gas to wait.......they said there was a quality issue with some of the tanks.......you might want to take it to the dealer for a check.......
Hmmm...like what i said earlier...the first time, it filled up fine. Hmm...just now when I filled up, it stopped almost like every 1.5 to 2 gallons. That sucks...I just read in the forums I found similar problems. I would think they should fix it for an 05. Should I wait for next fill up or should I call dealer and schedule an appt? I hate to waste my time and bring car in. At least I think they are open on Saturdays. I've owned the car for less than 1 month with only 700+ miles on it.

Old 01-22-2005, 06:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem. I found that you can't push the nozzle too far down into the tube or it will contanstly click off. I push it in about a 1/3 of the way, then lift the handle maybe 1/2 way and engage the lock.

This works. I can't imagine how replacing the gas tank would fix a problem like this though. I think it has something to do with the angle the fill tube takes as it enters the tank.

Old 01-22-2005, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by socketz
I have the same problem. I found that you can't push the nozzle too far down into the tube or it will contanstly click off. I push it in about a 1/3 of the way, then lift the handle maybe 1/2 way and engage the lock.

This works. I can't imagine how replacing the gas tank would fix a problem like this though. I think it has something to do with the angle the fill tube takes as it enters the tank.
Hmmm...interesting. But the sensor senses when the gas is full. Why would how far the tube goes affects it? *Confused*

Old 01-22-2005, 02:51 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeee2
Hmmm...interesting. But the sensor senses when the gas is full. Why would how far the tube goes affects it? *Confused*
It will affect venting of the displaced air in the tank-- The further in the nozzle goes into the filler neck, the more it blocks that air that must exit.

I've found that this is especially true when filling the first half of the tank when filling up quickly and displacing a lot of air, so eazing up on the initial half tank should help.
C.

Old 01-22-2005, 03:35 PM
Milkee2,
Your probably out playing in the snow, but next time you have this problem try reducing the flow rate of the fuel. Possibly poor design of the filler neck has the effect of making the auto shut off sensor at the end of the nozzle more sensitive than on other cars...sooo much for making a fast pit-stop.

Old 01-22-2005, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by XcarGO
Milkee2,
Your probably out playing in the snow, but next time you have this problem try reducing the flow rate of the fuel. Possibly poor design of the filler neck has the effect of making the auto shut off sensor at the end of the nozzle more sensitive than on other cars...sooo much for making a fast pit-stop.
HAHA.....yeah I am back from playing in the snow. Will post an update on the other topic "blizzard 2005". I stopped by the infiniti dealer to pick up power steering fluid. Since I got the car a month ago, I noticed they never filled it up and it was right on the border of MINIUMUM. Anyway, I asked the guy who's in the part dept and he knows about the "gas tank" problem and said it happens all the time to call in and schedule an appt.

Old 01-22-2005, 08:15 PM
It will affect venting of the displaced air in the tank-- The further in the nozzle goes into the filler neck, the more it blocks that air that must exit.

I've found that this is especially true when filling the first half of the tank when filling up quickly and displacing a lot of air, so eazing up on the initial half tank should help.
I think you hit the nail on the head. I've found that filling from empty is alot worse than filling up from a 1/2 tank.

So what is the actual sensor looking for (pressure) ? Maybe the fix is as simple as moving the sensor to a different location.

Old 01-22-2005, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by gsedanman

C.
So that's how you've been filling up gas ever since you found out that was the problem? I just found that weird when my 12 year old accord fills up full tank with no problem. How come you didn't bring it to dealer to get it fix? I paid for a brand new car and I think it's silly you have to watch the way you pump gas. A cheap used beat up car you buy for 1,000 bucks and you don't have to worry about that.

Old 01-22-2005, 08:38 PM
O.F. Administrator
Originally Posted by socketz
I think you hit the nail on the head. I've found that filling from empty is alot worse than filling up from a 1/2 tank.

So what is the actual sensor looking for (pressure) ? Maybe the fix is as simple as moving the sensor to a different location.
To my mind, the sensor and sending unit in our ride don't have as much bearing on filling as does the venting of the tank while filling, and the sensor in the filler nozzle.

Another thing I've discovered (the hard way) is that there is a flap at the bottom of the filler neck that helps prevent splash-back (and hence spillage) into the tube and possibly to the outside.
I discovered this on another ride I had (Ford Contour) where the flap went bad and didn't release properly when filling and prevented the fill tube from draining down quickly when filling. This caused the fill nozzle to think the tank was full and kept shutting it off. (now that was a PITA.....took forever to fill the tank.)
Just another possibility....

I think the main issue we're having with our Nissans/Infinitis is that you just can't fill too quickly due to slow venting, and that filling slower is a must.(instead of very quickly as you can in other rides).

Food for thought.

Old 01-22-2005, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by gsedanman
I think the main issue we're having with our Nissans/Infinitis is that you just can't fill too quickly due to slow venting, and that filling slower is a must.(instead of very quickly as you can in other rides).
Food for thought.
How do you fill it slowly? You pull the gas pump triggle and it pumps regardless of how you squeeze the pump I think.

From the forum, by doing a search seems like some people changed some kinda sensor and even changed gas tank and fixed the issue.

Old 01-23-2005, 04:52 AM
O.F. Administrator
Originally Posted by mikeee2
How do you fill it slowly? You pull the gas pump triggle and it pumps regardless of how you squeeze the pump I think.

From the forum, by doing a search seems like some people changed some kinda sensor and even changed gas tank and fixed the issue.
The self-serve nozzles I use can either be adjusted by pressure on the trigger, or by setting the flow on the ratchet adjustment (low-medium-high flow).
I believe the sensor in the tank, along with the float assembly, has more to do with signalling the gas gauge than anything else.
I'm not clear on this sensor in the tank business that has been mentioned b4.
I have nothing concrete, but suspect that the problem is more with poor venting than a sensor. I could be wrong.
As I mentioned b4, there is a flap at the bottom of the filler tube that may come into play here too.
What I do know for sure is that I can't fill my Coupe up very quickly (ie- have to ease back on the trigger), and neither could I fill my Sedan or my Maxima very quickly.
I'm assuming it's more or less designed that way to help prevent spillage, and can be aggravated by the venting and flap problems.
C.

Old 01-23-2005, 10:39 AM
It's not the critic......
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After my tank was replaced, I can fill the tank as fast as the pump will go, from an empty tank, or 1/4, or 1/2 all the way to the full.............I had a defect in the tank/fill tube assembly......

Old 01-23-2005, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by shooter
After my tank was replaced, I can fill the tank as fast as the pump will go, from an empty tank, or 1/4, or 1/2 all the way to the full.............I had a defect in the tank/fill tube assembly......
Hmm...how long did it take for them to install a new gas tank? Did you get a loaner car? I mean, if it bothers me I rather ask for a new gas tank than having to watch the way I pump in gas. Afterall it's a luxury car that I paid for not some cheesy 80's oldsmobile.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gas tank sensor???