G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

04 G35 (sedan) overheating need help!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 01:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 G35 (sedan) overheating need help!!!

A few weeks ago my radiator cracked I replaced it and the thermostat it began to overheat I took the thermastat back and replaced it thinking it was faulty well that wasn't the case after 3 thermostats it was still overheating I've already replaced the water pump and the head gasket is all good no leaks and now the coolant is flowing to the top of the coolant resivor tank and it is bubbling.

So I've already replaced the radiator,thermostat, and water pump any other suggestions

Old 07-12-2013, 01:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You must bleed the air from the system using the crappy white plastic bleeder screw on one of the hoses. I think its on the return line kinda behind your engine. A quick search should yield a diagram and write up.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:19 AM
my car overheats, when i get the rpm up to 4000, and steady on that fro above 5 minutes, it aslo overheats when i am stuck in traffic with the ac on, i ruled out the fan because it actually overheats at top speed which shouldnt happen if it was a fan problem, what could be the problem with this g35 sedan 2003 model

Old 07-19-2013, 09:16 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
2003 model...do you have the electric main engine fan, or the mechanical fan which uses a secondary e-fan?

Old 07-21-2013, 10:27 AM
Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts
First, have you pressure tested the cooling system per factory recommended test procedure? If there are no leaks, check the lower radiator hose after some time to see if it is hot, this would indicate the thermostat is opening correctly. Once most of the air is out of the system, you should see the coolant level rise and fall with the radiator cap removed and spill free funnel attached. If the radiator cap is defective or the wrong pressure, it can cause the coolant to boil prematurely, causing it to spill and bubble out of the reservoir. Similar symptoms can occur is the coolant is allowed to get too hot because a fan is not working.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:30 PM
I have an overheating problem and I didn't want to start a whole new thread, although my problem is a little different. I'm knew to the forum and I've only had my 03’ G35 (183000miles) for about a yr, but I'll do my best to describe it correctly.

Last January it started overheating in traffic one morning on the way to school. I let it cool and was able to get it back home by pulling over frequently and letting it cool. The next day with a mechanic it started overheating after driving less than half a mile. The mechanic replaced the thermostat 1st and then the water pump based. After that for month or so it drove fine back and forth to school which is only about a 25 min drive. We drive my wife's car the rest of the time usually. Then we took a small trip about 140 miles all freeway during which it ran fine. When we arrived, parked for a short time, and then restarted to leave it began overheating almost immediately. The coolant was at the top of the reservoir. After letting it cool the coolant level returned to normal and I added a small amount since some had boiled out. I was then able to drive about another 10 miles to our final destination with no problem. A couple hours later we left there to shop a little and after driving a 15 minutes in town it started overheating again. I let it cool a couple hrs again while we ate. Then I got on the freeway and drove the 140 miles back home without stopping. It drove fine until I got off the freeway and stopped at a couple lights near my house. I let it cool again and drove it the last .25 miles home. I realize was crazy for doing that but I couldn't afford to have it towed back home along with the 4 passengers.
The annoying part is that when I took it to the mechanic it wouldn't overheat. He said he drove it several times all day and then let it idle for over an hour. He pressurized the system and said there were no leaks, all the fans worked, and he could find no other problems. We replaced the radiator cap and I drove it for about a month and a half back and forth to school always looking at the temp. No problems.
Once again I had to drive more than typical one day and sure enough it started overheating. I let it cool and drove it home fine. I have since driven it for about 3 months now and it has overheated about 2 times, only after driving it hard for a couple hrs with frequent stopping and starting. Each time the coolant is at the top of the reservoir with a little bubbling. After cooling for 15-30 min the coolant returns to its normal level and it runs fine, but I always drive it home just in case.

Any help would be appreciated!

Old 08-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Does anyone have a solution that has worked? Was the radiator replaced original parts?

Old 08-05-2013, 03:00 PM
Do you have a solution yet? My car has the same problem.
QUOTE=Robie;6789273]I have an overheating problem and I didn't want to start a whole new thread, although my problem is a little different. I'm knew to the forum and I've only had my 03’ G35 (183000miles) for about a yr, but I'll do my best to describe it correctly.

Last January it started overheating in traffic one morning on the way to school. I let it cool and was able to get it back home by pulling over frequently and letting it cool. The next day with a mechanic it started overheating after driving less than half a mile. The mechanic replaced the thermostat 1st and then the water pump based. After that for month or so it drove fine back and forth to school which is only about a 25 min drive. We drive my wife's car the rest of the time usually. Then we took a small trip about 140 miles all freeway during which it ran fine. When we arrived, parked for a short time, and then restarted to leave it began overheating almost immediately. The coolant was at the top of the reservoir. After letting it cool the coolant level returned to normal and I added a small amount since some had boiled out. I was then able to drive about another 10 miles to our final destination with no problem. A couple hours later we left there to shop a little and after driving a 15 minutes in town it started overheating again. I let it cool a couple hrs again while we ate. Then I got on the freeway and drove the 140 miles back home without stopping. It drove fine until I got off the freeway and stopped at a couple lights near my house. I let it cool again and drove it the last .25 miles home. I realize was crazy for doing that but I couldn't afford to have it towed back home along with the 4 passengers.
The annoying part is that when I took it to the mechanic it wouldn't overheat. He said he drove it several times all day and then let it idle for over an hour. He pressurized the system and said there were no leaks, all the fans worked, and he could find no other problems. We replaced the radiator cap and I drove it for about a month and a half back and forth to school always looking at the temp. No problems.
Once again I had to drive more than typical one day and sure enough it started overheating. I let it cool and drove it home fine. I have since driven it for about 3 months now and it has overheated about 2 times, only after driving it hard for a couple hrs with frequent stopping and starting. Each time the coolant is at the top of the reservoir with a little bubbling. After cooling for 15-30 min the coolant returns to its normal level and it runs fine, but I always drive it home just in case.

Any help would be appreciated![/QUOTE]

Old 08-14-2013, 05:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Robie
I have an overheating problem and I didn't want to start a whole new thread, although my problem is a little different. I'm knew to the forum and I've only had my 03’ G35 (183000miles) for about a yr, but I'll do my best to describe it correctly.

Any help would be appreciated!
Is your fan working properly? It could very well be the fan thermostat that's not working properly. I remember there was a TSB on the fan thermostat some time back. Check it.