G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Troubleshooting Brake light + Battery light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Troubleshooting Brake light + Battery light

New G owner, with a used G35x. I've had the car for only two days, and there is already an issue. I'm heading back to the mechanic I got it from tomorrow for unrelated stuff, so I'd like to have some idea before I get there and ask him to take a look.

During my test drive, and during the last few checks I did with the mechanic, this issue never came up. Anyways, I noticed on a highway drive that the battery light, and even more faintly, the parking brake light would sort of flicker.

Since then, even during city driving, the lights have only been on with full brightness together for possibly 2 minutes. Any other time, they've simply flickered, with the battery light being much more prominent nearly 100% of the time.

I've done the searches throughout the forums, and it seems like the most likely candidate is the alternator; with the battery being a close second. In one of the threads, it was also suggested about a loose ground.

It's probably worth pointing out that on certain turns in my routes, the lights have disappeared only to reappear during a straight. They also flickered and disappeared while on a bumpy road. I'm not sure if that gives more credence to a loose ground, but I'm just trying to be prepared.

Other notes:

- 2005 G35x sedan
- 170k on it
- All fluids seem fine

If anyone has any insight or questions, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Matt

Old 06-04-2014, 09:46 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Sounds electrical to me.

Have you actually popped the hood and inspected the battery and connections? The battery could be not secured and moving around in the battery compartment.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,020 Likes on 937 Posts
I replaced my negative connector a few months back because it was to big for my aftermarket battery. The new one was much more rugged and well worth then $5!

Old 06-05-2014, 11:55 AM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
I'd go with the ground cable first it's pretty flimsy.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Sounds electrical to me.

Have you actually popped the hood and inspected the battery and connections? The battery could be not secured and moving around in the battery compartment.
Yes. After lurking through the forums, I popped the hood and started checking connections and such. Everything from my limited knowledge seemed fine.

For anyone interested, I mentioned it to the mechanic, and after checking the battery and connections themselves, they saw that the alternator was charging fine, then they looked at this box (not a pic of my car):

Troubleshooting Brake light + Battery light-wpbcmpf.jpg

Not sure what it is since I'm not really car-inclined, or if it's even related but they unplugged it and rusty water seemed to come out of it. They replaced it and after driving about 200km, the lights haven't re-appeared yet.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:08 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
That's a nice clean engine bay for having 170 km's on it.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:40 AM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by divito
Yes. After lurking through the forums, I popped the hood and started checking connections and such. Everything from my limited knowledge seemed fine.

For anyone interested, I mentioned it to the mechanic, and after checking the battery and connections themselves, they saw that the alternator was charging fine, then they looked at this box (not a pic of my car):

Not sure what it is since I'm not really car-inclined, or if it's even related but they unplugged it and rusty water seemed to come out of it. They replaced it and after driving about 200km, the lights haven't re-appeared yet.
Isn't that the hood sensor?

Old 06-09-2014, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
That's a nice clean engine bay for having 170 km's on it.
Not my car, though the one I got is pretty nice under the hood as well.

Originally Posted by coffeysm
Isn't that the hood sensor?
If that includes a plastic box with two connectors running from it, then I guess so. If you're referring to the rubber-covered **** that depresses when the hood is closed, then no, but they're right next to each other.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:01 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That is the DRL module. If you unplug it you will have no DRLs and no driver's fog light/high beams with the low beams on at night. (I dunno it's weird.) If unplugging that fixes the issue you likely have a loose ground coming out of the passenger side loom.