G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Noise Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise Noise

Man, I'm still hearing a roaring noise... not like road noise from a tire but rather a ... warmp.....warmp..... warmp......warmp..... between 60 and 70 mph..... does anyone know whats causing this noise...... (new tires... Yoks 420's.... good tire pressure........ etc..)

Old 02-14-2005, 08:15 PM
hmmm all I can suggest is having the tire/wheel balancing checked out...or worse it could be a wheel hub bearing on its way out. Best thing to do is take the car to where ever you had the new tires put on and simply tell them what your hearing and show it to them(test ride).

peace

t3k

Old 02-14-2005, 08:21 PM
Thanks..... just put new tires on.... watched them balance the wheels.... 0's all the way.... maybe it the wheel hub.....

Thank you man

Old 02-14-2005, 09:02 PM
Is it wind noise????????

Old 02-14-2005, 11:41 PM
I have a similar problem as yours. Is it a noticable but faint deep pitched "whhoooomph....whooooomph" noise? I am going to the dealer on Wed and let you know how it turned out.

Last edited by JKRD101; 02-15-2005 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:58 PM
Thanks JKRD101... keep me posted......

Old 02-15-2005, 07:20 AM
I'd check the rotors to make sure they were within runout specs. I would ask the mechanic to check them on the vehicle because this way you can also check the throwout bearing. If the bearing is going south (was a recall on many Ford vehicles in the snow belt), the mechanic should be able to tell rather quickly.

Old 02-16-2005, 09:45 PM
What happened at the dealer

Hey, JKRD101.... what did the dealer say about the noise today?

03GEE

Old 02-17-2005, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by 03GEE
Hey, JKRD101.... what did the dealer say about the noise today?

03GEE
I just picked up my car this morning, they said it was becasue of my front tires were cupped, they rotated and balanced my tires, replaced front and rear rotors and brake pads (under warranty). The technician said the noise is now in the rear and will disappear with more wear.

My verdict is the sound is still there, I am not sure if the noise is coming from the front or the rear, but I can still hear it (I have an ear infection today so that doesnt help) .

I have Bridgestone Turanzas EL42's and they are pretty worned out. When I had an 03 loaner with the same tires, that similar humming noise was there also but not as loud, loaner had 22k miles, I have 28k miles.

Let me know how your situation turned out. Is your front wheel bearings ok when they inspected it? Also can you go at a steady speed (like 70mph) and put the gear in N, if you can still hear it, its most likely not mechanical related (engine, transmission). In my case, I can still hear it so I am assuming its the tires .

Last edited by JKRD101; 02-17-2005 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:08 PM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You will be very pleased when you get rid of those EL 42s! Spend the money now and be
rid of them.

Old 02-17-2005, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by cato
You will be very pleased when you get rid of those EL 42s! Spend the money now and be
rid of them.
I will, very soon , I was thinking about getting Avon Tech M550's. My father has them on his 2003 CL500, VERY quiet, and good grip. One annoying issue is the tires flatspot, and it takes some miles to become normal.

03GEE, if you didnt have the noise prior to changing your stock tires, I think your new tires are causing the noise.

Old 02-17-2005, 03:18 PM
Picking it up from the dealer

I actually had new goodyear RS-A's on the car and the noise was still there... I did not think it was tire noise....because I also drove a loaner with the same noise and the tires were in good shape.....I actually dropped my car by the dealer with a technician ride-along and explained that the tires were only a day old and it was not tire noise... he said ok and agreeded that it was something else.... (Todsy) the service advisor informed me that they changed both front wheel bearings... when I asked the advisor if this was common... he stated that my car was the first.... I'm not sure on that When I asked if the bearings showed any visiable wear or burn marks.. he said that it was not possible to tell by a visual inspection.... If this is the case, Infiniti may need to produce another TSB,....... a lot of people are chalking this noise up to bad/loud tires...... (I will pick it up later)..... not sure if it fixed the noise or not... I will post the outcome late tonight.....

Old 02-17-2005, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by 03GEE
When I asked if the bearings showed any visiable wear or burn marks.. he said that it was not possible to tell by a visual inspection.... If this is the case, Infiniti may need to produce another TSB,....... a lot of people are chalking this noise up to bad/loud tires...... (I will pick it up later)..... not sure if it fixed the noise or not... I will post the outcome late tonight.....
The type of wheel bearings we have are sealed (supposed to last around 100k miles http://www.babcox.com/editorial/cm/cm39924.htm ), I guess it cant be disassembled like the others thats why they cant take a look at it. I drove my G again tonight and the same noise is there even though they rotated the tires, so its not a tire issue . Please let me know how your fix went...

Last edited by JKRD101; 02-17-2005 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:47 AM
No Longer Hearing Noise

JRKD101,

Got my car back from the dealer and the noise is gone.... the tech placed the mic on the car to isolate the sound and found it was truely the wheel bearing... they replaced both front bearings and now it rides and sounds like a champ..... .... 60-90 mph on the hwy and relatively high speeds in the curves... (to build up my confidence in the Yoks 420's....) they also fixed several other noise issues... center console... added foam tape.. no noise... rear seat.... TSB along with replacing the bolts in the subwoofer no noise.....

The tech who actually worked on my car was faily new to Infiniti.... He has done better then several of the more experienced guys.... (maybe its beginners blessedness... I'll take it....)

Since most cars are reaching the 30-40K mile range there may be more issues with the bearings. Let's see how many others...

The dealer is here in Dallas Texas.... Sewell..... as your dealer to contact them if they need to.....

By the way.... all was covered under warranty....

Old 02-18-2005, 02:37 PM
03GEE, that is some great news

I will speak to my dealer and tell them to replace the bearings, they told me if I still hear it despite tire rotation, they will replace them. Infiniti needs to do something about this, I have heard similar noise in the loaners.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Noise Noise