G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

help first g35 transmissin fluid change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 06:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
help first g35 transmissin fluid change

Hi i have a 2005 g35 sedan it has about 114k miles and i wanted to know if i should do a complete flush or the simple drain and fill...i heard if you do the full flush it will harm the transmission. To be honest i dont even think the car has even had its first transmission oil change. I look at the fluid is brownish and smells burnt i knew something was wrong gotta fix her up and i need your help.*

Also is there a difference between matic j or matic s, or should i just stick to matic j. But mainly let me know if you think a flush would be better off or if a simple drain and fill would be safer thanks.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:29 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Just to be on the safe side, I would drain n fill and change the filter. Honestly, at this point I feel like flushing is a scam. I've read/heard too many bad things happen. That super high pressure air has to be disturbing to internal parts.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:08 AM
How do u change the filter is it easy or hard? Also i was hearing about changing the radiator fluid is that something i should do since im draining transmission fluid??

Old 01-16-2015, 02:41 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
There isnt a true filter. There is a screen you can access if you drop the pan. Search on here and you will find it. I am at 196k (orig owner) and only thing i have changed are fluids, belts and brakes. Eveything else is original so these cars can last if cared for. Fyi I use castrol import multi vehicle trans fluid in my 5at and have sice 120k or so. I drain and fill every 10k or so, oil every 5k and rear diff every 20-30k.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:51 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
Just to be on the safe side, I would drain n fill and change the filter. Honestly, at this point I feel like flushing is a scam. I've read/heard too many bad things happen. That super high pressure air has to be disturbing to internal parts.
Mr. Knowledgeable there's no filter in Infiniti ATs! Rather than doing a flush have a drain/fill done now and again on your next oil change, that should keep your trans happy for miles to come...Gary

Old 01-16-2015, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am sort of in the same situation, I recently have been researching the best way to do the exchange and have seen all kinds of responses so I cant pick my own solution easily.

I recall reading that if it hasnt been on a regular flush schedule every 30k (maybe the very first at 60k) then it is too much of a risk to flush. The risk is that some of the metal that gets removed from a flush, the gears relied on for friction and with it gone, it can slip and then add a very costly repair/replacement down the road. Also I have seen that if the fluid hasn't been changed in the first 100k, many places wont want to touch it and just say leave it be at that point. Not sure if that's purely for flushes or even drain and fills as well.

I have seen multiple ways to exchange the fluid and I am even confused as to what is technically the best recommended method. Multiple Infiniti dealers will give varying responses as to what they do or recommend, I find it odd they do not all do things the same way.

I have seen the following options: simple drain and fill of about 4 Qts, fluid exchange with either the car running and the pump doing its own pressure or maybe an outside tool to force it through a bit to exchange 12 Qts, and a true flush with cleaners involved as well which I recall reading a Nissan or Infiniti report claiming that you should never run cleaners through the system. So Im not sure how some dealers can still suggest a flush, obviously a big reason they push for it is the much higher cost, but if its risky and was officially stated to not run cleaners through the system, it doesnt make sense that they can do it anyway.

Im not sure if a dealer's drain and fill will include dropping the pan to clean it out ever (I think there's a magnet or something in there to catch metal flakes), but if they are merely unscrewing the plug to drain 4ish Qts and replacing it, then I believe its really no different than a DIY as long as you also use the Nissan Matic S fluid (used to be J).

So assuming the basic ~4Qt drain and fill is the way to go no matter what maintenance schedule you had used, is it a super simple DIY? I have seen a video on it, but cant tell if a lift or jacks are required to do it so thats where I wonder about the difficulty factor.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:32 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
Mr. Knowledgeable there's no filter in Infiniti ATs! Rather than doing a flush have a drain/fill done now and again on your next oil change, that should keep your trans happy for miles to come...Gary
Damn..you got me..BTW, what color panties came with your car?

Old 01-16-2015, 06:08 PM
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Just drain and fill people. Replace with the same amount that came out. It's that simple.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:13 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
Damn..you got me..BTW, what color panties came with your car?
SLICK came with high and tight whities and they're still white and clean, thanks for asking!
Gary

The following users liked this post:
Hotdawwgman (01-16-2015)
Old 01-16-2015, 11:52 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Mine came with a maxi pad.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:29 PM
I just got my transmission fluid (only 4 quarts matic-s and plan on doing the drain and fill. I have about 114k miles on my g35 and never gotten any kind of transmission fluid change. I plan on doing the simple drain and fill with the biggest drain bolt but i also seen a video were they did a similar drain and fill thru the transmission nd pumping 2 quarts back is that nec5 for me right now?

Also i heard you have to change out the filter and clean it out. Do i need to switch the filter or would i be ok till next 10k miles were i do another drain and fill???