G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35 Refinement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Refinement

Hi,

I just traded in my E36 BMW 325i '93 for a '03 G35 M6 sedan and am loving the power and increased size.

Compared to the E36 I'm finding the engine to have quite a bit more vibration and be noisier. The engine is quite droney in comparison. The shifter has much more vibration compared to the bimmer.

I checked with the Infiniti service department and the car is fully and recently serviced. The car only has 27,000 km (16,767 miles) on the clock.

In refinement, handling and "feel" I'm definitely missing my old bimmer.

Has anyone else had these observations?

Old 02-18-2005, 05:28 PM
Sold my 2003 325i for my current G35 6MT. Not even the same car. In exchange for more room and power, you gave up handling and cabin noise. My 3 was very quiet and smooth on the road. It was also very slow.

Old 02-18-2005, 06:18 PM
Hi,

I sold my 328i, '98 with 126K on it. It was killling me to pay for the maintenance and I'm glad to move on. I do miss the *extremely* smooth acceleration and the agility. It may not have been very powerful (~190 HP) but it sure felt fast. This sensation was only tempered by the nagging question of what teutonic part would next fail, requiring immense cash to fix.

I really like my new '04 6MT, it's promise of reliability, power, and handling. The rwd was super important to me, especially after test driving an '04 TL and wrestling with the torque steer.

On the G, I wholeheartedly agree regarding the NVH as you climb the rpms. I've also noted that the shifter bounces around somewhat strangely. Oddly enough, it's most evident when you are cruising on some relatively smooth highway, hit a bit of a bump, and watch the stick boing around. It's less apparent when you're hitting cobble stone pavers, etc.

Old 02-18-2005, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by Toruki
Hi,

I sold my 328i, '98 with 126K on it. It was killling me to pay for the maintenance and I'm glad to move on. I do miss the *extremely* smooth acceleration and the agility. It may not have been very powerful (~190 HP) but it sure felt fast. This sensation was only tempered by the nagging question of what teutonic part would next fail, requiring immense cash to fix.

I really like my new '04 6MT, it's promise of reliability, power, and handling. The rwd was super important to me, especially after test driving an '04 TL and wrestling with the torque steer.

On the G, I wholeheartedly agree regarding the NVH as you climb the rpms. I've also noted that the shifter bounces around somewhat strangely. Oddly enough, it's most evident when you are cruising on some relatively smooth highway, hit a bit of a bump, and watch the stick boing around. It's less apparent when you're hitting cobble stone pavers, etc.
I also test drove a 6 spd TL before I ordered the 6 spd G and was turned off completely to the torque steer of the TL. You can't be an enthusiast and live with that. I will be selling my 1995 540i 6 spd when I get my G. I know the driving experience will not be as good as my 540 but the 540 is 10yrs old and has cost me mucho dineros in the past 3 yrs in repairs. But the G is not a bad substitute for a much cheaper price with much better reliability.

Old 02-20-2005, 09:29 PM
An inline six cylinder engine is always going to be smoother and more refined than a V6, unfortunately, see <http://www.answers.com/topic/straight-6-1>. My 03 G35 was rougher out of the box than my old E28.

Handling, I think, can be fixed. The FM platform is really quite good in terms of weight distribution (one of the plusses of the shorter V6 engine), the suspension is pretty decent stock, and the steering is well weighted.

If you car came shod in the same Eagle RS-As that mine did, you might find that a good first thing to do would be to buy stickier tires.

Old 02-21-2005, 10:19 AM
Based on my test drive its not as refined as my E46 BMW, but on the other hand, its much more refined than my gone but not forgotten ERA 427 Cobra.

Old 02-21-2005, 11:42 AM
Considering the hype about the Nissan 3.5L engine (10 best and all that) I'm just really surprised how raucous and unpleasant the engine noise is. I really take absolutely no pleasure from extracting the performance this engine offers (and it does offer plenty) due to the noise and vibration. The drivetrain is just has so much more NVH than I'm now used to having driven my '93 325i for the past 7 yrs. In fact, it reminds me of my old Miata in so many ways (thrummy engine, gearbox). I drive the 6MT and on the overun during gear changes, the noise is like the Subaru my friend drives.

Its just that the drivetrain to me doesn't seem to live up to the sophisticated and elegant exterior styling.

Just my $0.02.

Old 02-21-2005, 01:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Edwin
Considering the hype about the Nissan 3.5L engine (10 best and all that) I'm just really surprised how raucous and unpleasant the engine noise is. I really take absolutely no pleasure from extracting the performance this engine offers (and it does offer plenty) due to the noise and vibration. The drivetrain is just has so much more NVH than I'm now used to having driven my '93 325i for the past 7 yrs. In fact, it reminds me of my old Miata in so many ways (thrummy engine, gearbox). I drive the 6MT and on the overun during gear changes, the noise is like the Subaru my friend drives.

Its just that the drivetrain to me doesn't seem to live up to the sophisticated and elegant exterior styling.

Just my $0.02.

Hmmmm....maybe the previous owner beat the heck out of the car?

I have an '04 Coupe 6MT and I think the car is too quiet! No NVH problems here.

Old 02-21-2005, 03:56 PM

Just my $0.02.
Hype is defined as deception or promotional publicity of an extravagant or contrived kind. Wards has given an honest opinion of the VQ35 and for 11 consecutive years has awarded the engine it's ten best award. That, my friend, is not hype.

Wards goes on to say about the engine, "The VQ V-6 family, which comprises several displacements in other markets, started in the U.S. as a gem-like 3L that instantly caused a commotion in the powertrain sector with its scintillatingly low levels of noise, vibration and harshness, spectacular flexibility and high specific output."

I guess not everyone agrees with you that the engine lacks sophistication.

And if you find "no pleasure" from driving the car it's clearly not the right car for you.

Just an observation.

Cale

Old 02-21-2005, 05:35 PM
Noise/Vibration

This is an interesting thread in that you have ex-BMW guys getting into G35's. I am looking to get into an 05 performance sedan myself (4 doors a must) and noise is a consideration.

Have reduced my choices down to G35 6MT and 330i ZHP 6MT. Test drove both and have to say the BMW is very smooooooth and takes turns like nothing I've ever driven. It is far more refined inside and feels more precise and tight with very little NVH at all rpms. The 6sp hi perf. transmission of the BMW is superior to the G35 IMHO. If these two cars were priced the same there is no question that the BMW would be my choice.

The G has the torque advantage (althought not by much over the ZHP-equipped BMW). It is a bigger car inside and you feel that immediately as you enter the cabin. The engine is simply excellent but the rest of the drive train can be made smoother IMHO. However where the G35 really shines is the price. Can get it fully loaded for $4.5K less than a comparably equipped 330i ZHP and this is after you include the recent $3800 manufacturer-2-dealer incentive on the BMW.

Since the current 3-series sedan is being redesigned I am hoping that over the next few weeks BMW will offer even bigger incentives to clear dealer lots and make room for the new car. This should bring it more in line with the price of the G. If I can get a loaded 330i ZHP for 35-36K I am taking it. If not, then the G35 is my car (no TL or A4 or IS300 or anything american).

Old 02-21-2005, 07:45 PM
"And if you find "no pleasure" from driving the car it's clearly not the right car for you."

Cale[/QUOTE]

I'm starting to think the same myself. Anyone have a cheap 330i to sell me =8)

Old 02-21-2005, 08:30 PM
I'm beginning to wonder if something's up with your car, Edwin.

I've done long trips in several bimmers and I don't see a big difference in engine noise compared to my G (also an 03 M6). The only time I ever noticed the engine was when I forgot to shift into 6th gear to cruise (and I can go half an hour without realizing that).

Any chance you could hitch a ride in another G to compare? The early manual transmissions are thought to be a little fragile, and a problem there might explain some of what you're seeing.

Old 02-21-2005, 10:53 PM
Hi,

I just traded in my E36 BMW 325i '93 for a '03 G35 M6 sedan and am loving the power and increased size.

Compared to the E36 I'm finding the engine to have quite a bit more vibration and be noisier. The engine is quite droney in comparison. The shifter has much more vibration compared to the bimmer.

I checked with the Infiniti service department and the car is fully and recently serviced. The car only has 27,000 km (16,767 miles) on the clock.

In refinement, handling and "feel" I'm definitely missing my old bimmer.

Has anyone else had these observations?

Either there is something wrong with your car or you are joking. Cannot speak to your shifter vibration but the G's engine compares quite favorably to my old 330. It may be just a tad harsher at the top end but the 330 was way more droney. On the highway that drone at around 3200 rpm at 70 would wear on me after a while. The around town torque is like day and night with the G being much more responsive. Never notice if the top end is harsh when you do not need to rev the engine to drive in traffic enjoyably.

Sure the 330 was turbine smooth but it had to be revved to get the most enjoyment out of the engine.

I've gotta say that though I loved my BMW, I don't miss it much. The G is a more than adequate replacement.

Pags

Old 02-21-2005, 11:02 PM
Talking Gspotter, u have a funny *** name.

Originally Posted by gspotter
Hmmmm....maybe the previous owner beat the heck out of the car?

I have an '04 Coupe 6MT and I think the car is too quiet! No NVH problems here.

Dude, you have an awesome name=(gspotter), hehe. Anyways, you think the coupe is quiet, then that makes our sedans like mutes! hehe.

Old 02-22-2005, 01:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G-Pimp
Dude, you have an awesome name=(gspotter), hehe. Anyways, you think the coupe is quiet, then that makes our sedans like mutes! hehe.

Thanks!....my Coupe is very quiet at highway speed. Just a little tiny bit of wind noise from the top of the door window glass. It only gets somewhat loud from tire noise on certain pavement surfaces. Maybe I'm deaf from the HKS HiPower exhaust on my other car, a 300ZX.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 Refinement