G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Vibration and kick coming from rear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2015 | 11:51 AM
|
Veteran: NavyVeteran: Army
Kinetix V+,Z1UpperArms+HFC,FujitaIntake,Nismokit,BCCoils,HKSexh,G37rims,CFtrunk,nWpTB,SPCarms
Vibration and kick coming from rear

Ok so I've been experiencing a vibration issue whether I turn left or right. Happens at all speeds. I've taken it to a couple mechanics and they can't fully figure out what the issue is. They have said it was a driveline issue and that it may in fact be related with the rear differential. Has anyone experienced something similar? I'm willing to pay to have it fixed but just want to see if anyone else has had the problem. If I'm at a dead stop and turn the wheel and start pressing on the gas you will feel a kick at the rear wheels and then in the floor board you feel a vibration. My car is an 04 G35x. Anyone with some insight would be greatly appreciated. ☺️

Old 06-11-2015 | 12:09 PM
If you jack up both rear wheels and spin one, does the opposite wheel spin easily in the other direction?

Do you have any abnormal wear in the rear tires?

You should have an open differential out back, but i wonder if something is grabbing when you turn and dragging/slipping one one of the rear wheels?

Old 06-12-2015 | 09:13 AM
|
Kinetix V+,Z1UpperArms+HFC,FujitaIntake,Nismokit,BCCoils,HKSexh,G37rims,CFtrunk,nWpTB,SPCarms
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
If you jack up both rear wheels and spin one, does the opposite wheel spin easily in the other direction?

Do you have any abnormal wear in the rear tires?

You should have an open differential out back, but i wonder if something is grabbing when you turn and dragging/slipping one one of the rear wheels?
Well I went to a meet yesterday and one of the members is a mechanic and he says try changing the fluid on the transfer case. he says ford explorers have had the same issue and that he's only experienced the same feeling on those rides😅 so it maybe worth a try

Old 06-12-2015 | 09:36 AM
Do you have any warning lights on in the dash?

Old 06-12-2015 | 12:19 PM
|
I've had ces on awhile but from emissions evap sensor, the fluid didn't do nothing

Old 06-12-2015 | 12:48 PM
With both rear wheels jacked up, and trans in Nuetral, can you spin them freely or do you feel anything grabbing?

I'm wondering if your rear differential is failing. In a straight line it would be fine, but as your turn, if the teeth are al jacked up, it would definitely feel rough.

Old 06-12-2015 | 12:57 PM
|
well he did roll the wheels forward and the other wheel went backwards, he found chips but nothing to be concerned about, he also checked the rear driveshaft and the axles front and rear. he feels a bit of play on the infamous passenger axle but it's still fine. already replaced the drivers side cv axle, lower control arm ball joints, front control arm energy suspension bushings and front driveshaft and U-joints. Will be taking it to a guy that's a Nissan tech but now owns his own shop and works mostly on gtr's now, booked for a couple weeks. need to get to the bottom of it soon. * sigh. if you know something lemme know. ☺️ forgot to mention that the rear tires are more bald I am one of them you can actually see the I forgot was called but it's the lines that to the line when you get to the very end of the tire for you it's even with a l forgot to mention that the rear tires are more bald I am one of them you can actually see the Tread depth indicator on one of the tires. the other still has tread I may actually get two more new tires in the rear

Last edited by ㄴㅇㅇㄱ™ ninja; 06-12-2015 at 01:31 PM. Reason: had to add
Old 06-12-2015 | 11:02 PM
|
Also found something regarding the transfer case going bad with similar attributes https://g35driver.com/forums/drivetr...-case-bad.html

Old 06-13-2015 | 05:43 PM
Super Moderator
Premier Member
Might be a dumb question, but do you think your front wheels could be contacting the firewall/suspension?

Old 06-15-2015 | 09:14 AM
If you feel it from the rear, I don't think it's a transfer case issue. The xfer case is pretty much right under the pass seat. So if you feel it out back, I don't think it's related.

You can try unplugging the AWD fuse. That should permanently disengage the transfer case clutch mking the car mostly RWD. If the issue is still there, I think you need ot check out back.

Are you running OEM wheels? Lowered?

Old 06-15-2015 | 11:52 AM
|
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
If you feel it from the rear, I don't think it's a transfer case issue. The xfer case is pretty much right under the pass seat. So if you feel it out back, I don't think it's related.

You can try unplugging the AWD fuse. That should permanently disengage the transfer case clutch mking the car mostly RWD. If the issue is still there, I think you need ot check out back.

Are you running OEM wheels? Lowered?
I was lowered on revised 350z springs when I noticed it and didn't think anything of it till after I installed BC coils but ride height isn't affecting it. only happens when I turn left or right. And our AWD, is really mostly RWD anyway isn't it? it only kicks in when the wheels are slipping. I'm riding on 19" m45 wheels. 245/40-19 Fronts and 255/40-19 Rears

Last edited by ㄴㅇㅇㄱ™ ninja; 06-15-2015 at 11:53 AM. Reason: edit a word because of autocorrect
Old 06-15-2015 | 11:55 AM
|

Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Might be a dumb question, but do you think your front wheels could be contacting the firewall/suspension?
It never crossed my mind when I was on z springs the gap was too large. now the gap has been minimized on BC coils. and it's the same effect

Just an example of how low it is on BC's

This was when I was on Z springs. the wheel gap is definitely larger in the front than in the 1st pic

Last edited by ㄴㅇㅇㄱ™ ninja; 06-15-2015 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-15-2015 | 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by ㄴㅇㅇㄱ™ ninja
And our AWD, is really mostly RWD anyway isn't it? it only kicks in when the wheels are slipping.
From a dead stop, it is partially engaged. Split is somewhere around 75% rear, 25% front. At around 10MPH or so, car goes full RWD unless slip detected.

So if you are crusing around a parking lot very slowly, the fronts are somewhat engaged.

Nice looking ride btw

The following users liked this post:
ㄴㅇㅇㄱ™ ninja (06-15-2015)
Old 06-15-2015 | 03:25 PM
|
ok so I took it to a Nissan tech today and he said it's definitely the rear diff. he sat in the backseat and he says he can feel the jolt whether I turn left or right at slow speeds. he's getting me a price and off the dealer price they get parts cheaper through Nissan plus an add'l 15% off which is cool so I gotta see how much it will be at the very end.

Old 06-20-2015 | 05:06 PM
|
still an arm and a leg he quoted me $1263 for the rear diff and panel for $651. These are new, guess I'll look for a used one for the fraction of the cost ��

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vibration and kick coming from rear