G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

popping noise that is going to drive me insane!

Old 10-17-2015, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
popping noise that is going to drive me insane!

So when I bought my car over a year ago, the front suspension was pretty shot, all the rubber was crumbling, so as I've earned the $, I've replaced both ball joints, both lower control arms, both compression arms, both upper control arms, both sway bar links, both struts, and the sway bar bushings. BUT I still have a clunk/pop. It mainly happens when I'm moving, and I I've had to hit the brakes and then let off the brakes. but it will also still pop/clunk when going over a dip in the road (and very very seldomly a bump, but mainly a dip) . It is on the drivers side, I can almost feel it through my feet as well as hear it. I checked again this morning everything I've touched is properly torqued into place and installed correctly, including the wheels.

Has anybody else had this issue, or is there anything I am missing? its first of all driving me crazy, especially in rush hour traffic when I'm in stop and go, and its "clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk" but i'm also afraid of something breaking/falling off, and this being an unsafe car.''

Since I will be asked, its a 2005, 167K miles, Sedan, Base model.

Old 10-17-2015, 11:29 AM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by aroundincircles
So when I bought my car over a year ago, the front suspension was pretty shot, all the rubber was crumbling, so as I've earned the $, I've replaced both ball joints, both lower control arms, both compression arms, both upper control arms, both sway bar links, both struts, and the sway bar bushings. BUT I still have a clunk/pop. It mainly happens when I'm moving, and I I've had to hit the brakes and then let off the brakes. but it will also still pop/clunk when going over a dip in the road (and very very seldomly a bump, but mainly a dip) . It is on the drivers side, I can almost feel it through my feet as well as hear it. I checked again this morning everything I've touched is properly torqued into place and installed correctly, including the wheels.

Has anybody else had this issue, or is there anything I am missing? its first of all driving me crazy, especially in rush hour traffic when I'm in stop and go, and its "clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk" but i'm also afraid of something breaking/falling off, and this being an unsafe car.''

Since I will be asked, its a 2005, 167K miles, Sedan, Base model.
Have you checked the top center nut on your struts? Mine made noise and it turned out the nut wasnt completely tight. Fyi, you need an impact gun to tighten it if it is loose. Ratchet tightening moves it too slow and it will just spin. But you can check it by trying to use a ratchet. If it spins, it is loose.

Old 10-17-2015, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by 5150DS
Have you checked the top center nut on your struts? Mine made noise and it turned out the nut wasnt completely tight. Fyi, you need an impact gun to tighten it if it is loose. Ratchet tightening moves it too slow and it will just spin. But you can check it by trying to use a ratchet. If it spins, it is loose.
I did replace those, and torqued them on, but I can try them again.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:06 PM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
I think I have the same sound on my G. It has been doing it for years. Seems to happen while I am turning AND going over a dip or bump.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
This is related to "Sway."

Check the "tightness" on the bolts holding your sway bar end links on. They tend to squeak and pop when loose... Or broken.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:16 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by dukehotty
I think I have the same sound on my G. It has been doing it for years. Seems to happen while I am turning AND going over a dip or bump.
I have the same noise. Mostly happens when one side of the car dips.

Common sense logic would say it's sway bars, but putting the car on stands and banging and pulling the suspension around has yet to reveal the culprit

Happens more when colder. In the summer it's gone. So def bushing related

Old 10-21-2015, 01:52 PM
Went through both sides, and just make sure everything was good and torqued into place.

Sway bar bushings are brand new polly, Sway bar links are brand new and torqued into place.

Its MOST noticeable when I am moving, even at a slow speed, hit the brakes, coming to a full stop, and then letting go of the brakes, you will hear and Feel a Pop. like something is rotating forward when I brake, and then being let back when I left off the brakes. at least that is the best way I can describe it.

I was able to duplicate it for my wife in the driveway, it is coming from the front driver's corner...

Old 10-21-2015, 03:36 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Got a GoPro?

If so, stick it in the wheel well zip-tied to the suspension and see if oyu can get some video of the problem when the noise hits.

I only suggest this because a coworker just did this to find out what was hitting on his car, and you can clearly see in the video the sway bar endlink had some slop.

Decent idea. I have a gopro, i'll give it a shot. Not sure if it will work though, especially if it's a compression rod and the movement is very slight

Old 10-21-2015, 04:44 PM
Don't have access to one. Well I have one, but its broken, so its no use to me I had the wife move forward and back in the drive way, and I could not figure it out standing there.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same issue. It happens when first driving. the front passenger side will make a popping noise when going in/out of a stop.

Old 10-31-2015, 01:01 PM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
Could it be motor mounts?

Old 06-09-2017, 01:39 PM
Popping noise

Originally Posted by faiz23
Could it be motor mounts?
Have you found what the problem was that was causing the popping noise? I have this same issue with my 2004 infiniti g35x. It just started making a pip noise when turning slightly and going over uneven road. It's most when I'm going slow too. Any info to help me would be great.

thanks

Old 06-12-2017, 11:01 PM
i have similar noises, i will check on it in a week when i get coilovers for my g35x. i'll try to post a photo and a video.