G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Request Bumper Repaint?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 03:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Rear Ended Color Matching Bumper Possible?

My parked car was rear ended earlier this month and I went with my insurance's recommended shops.

The bumper wasn't cracked so they just replaced the absorbers and repainted the bumper.

Their work is guaranteed, but do you think they can actually make the color match closer? The rear bumper is not aligned properly as well. They told me it's the best they could do...

Keep in mind the vehicle was repainted by the dealership last year when they replaced the doors.

Thanks

Last edited by InfinitiGeeX; 05-26-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:42 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
I have the same problem but not as bad as yours. While silver is one of the toughest to match, looks like they didn't try too hard on yours. In my case they blended at the doors on the quarterpanel on one side that also had to be done. I wish they had done a blend from bumper cover to quarterpanel on the other side. Mine is Liquid Platinum. In the right light though you can still see the blending transition on the doors.

The following users liked this post:
InfinitiGeeX (05-27-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 04:45 PM
Forgot to say...yes I'd ask for a do-over on the paint.

Old 05-26-2016, 06:19 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Wow that would annoy me. I would deff ask for a repaint. It seems like they didn't put an effort into trying to blend.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:53 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
If the first photo is an accurate portrayal of the actual colour difference, that is totally unacceptable.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:02 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
lol wow jus wow

Old 05-27-2016, 02:22 AM
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Request Bumper Repaint?

Originally Posted by InfinitiGeeX
My parked car was rear ended earlier this month and I went with my insurance's recommended shops.

The bumper wasn't cracked so they just replaced the absorbers and repainted the bumper.

Their work is guaranteed, but do you think they can actually make the color match closer? The rear bumper is not aligned properly as well. They told me it's the best they could do...

Keep in mind the vehicle was repainted by the dealership last year when they replaced the doors.

Thanks

bumper looks closer to DG than silver. make Em respray it, or better yet have then pay for a real paint job to be done. that's unacceptable

Old 05-27-2016, 03:29 AM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Wow... the colors don't match at all, the bumper is in a much darker shade... did you notice any color mismatch when the dealership did the repaint? Looks like the shop messed up the paint mixing/matching, as said above this is totally unacceptable. And you're right the bumper is not aligned properly as well, because it's damaged during impact, even though it's not cracked it still needs to be repaired so it lines up with adjacent body panels. If it's beyond repair then it should be replaced.

By the way, do your reverse lights on the truck sit flush to the outer taillights? From the picture it looks like they're tucked in a little. If that's the case, your truck lid got pushed in during the impact, and will need to be repaired as well.

If your insurance company is paying, I'd definitely make a formal complain to them and get the car properly repaired. I can't imagine any insurance company would approve this kind of repair job.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the responses. The car is DG lol. I guess the dealership painted it lighter last year. Great point Ray, I will check to see if the trunk is pushed in. I will get them to replace the bumper with a new one and match the paint this time.

Below is the car that rear ended my parked car. Major damage compared to the G.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:45 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
That shop needs to learn how to match paint, looks like a "One Day Autobody" quickie! Glad you're taking it back, let's hope the do a better job the second time...Gary

Old 05-27-2016, 02:13 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
id think dg is one of the easiest to match. i had my rear quarter repaired they blended it to the door. cant even tell work was done to it

Old 05-27-2016, 03:44 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
From the look of the damage on the other car, the damage to your car could be greater than it looks, you should also pull the trunk mats and check if the trunk bed and spare tire well are crumpled. If they are then they need to be pulled to be properly repaired to its original state. It's more work, more time, and more money, but it's necessary.

All in all this is a unqualified repair job, call that guy's insurance company and make them do it right.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:30 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I went through this last year with my DG colored sedan except my bumper was too light. I went back through the insurance carrier which forced the shop to do it again. Just don't ever give in until you are satisfied with it since they may not be happy about having to do it over again.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by InfinitiGeeX
Thanks for the responses. The car is DG lol. I guess the dealership painted it lighter last year. Great point Ray, I will check to see if the trunk is pushed in. I will get them to replace the bumper with a new one and match the paint this time.

Below is the car that rear ended my parked car. Major damage compared to the G.
That's not a car. It's a go kart.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:17 PM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
That's why you don't go with who insurance recommends. They go with shops they know will cut the corners necessary to keep costs down. Not enough people complain for them to change. That's how despicable body shops like Service King stay in business.

You'll probably have to go through your insurance company, make sure they know how unhappy you are with the terrible color match. It is harder to match the bumpers since they are plastic and they have to use paints with a flex agent in them since plastic expands on contracts more than metal with temperature variations, plus to add some impact resistance due to minor impacts. But a competent body shop can get the color pretty close, at least enough that it isn't readily obvious.

Did they use a new or used bumper? Because if the bumper was used and wasn't properly stripped, th the remaining color underneath can affect how the color on top looks.

Blue Dream (07-30-2016)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Request Bumper Repaint?