G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Just got my 6MT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got my 6MT

Thanks for all the informative posts on this site. Just got my car Friday and my first speeding ticket 5 days later!

I think my first mod will be the factory aluminum pedals from EverythingG35. They look awesome on the coupe.

Any better suggestions for first mod?

Old 03-01-2005, 10:41 PM
My only word of advice regarding mods is to hold off on any performance mods until you've thoroughly broken your car in. I can't believe how many people buy new cars and mod them out before they even see what the car can do. Granted I'm 37 and not 17, but I don't feel the need to make any performance mods. The car is PLENTY quick enough as it is, and the exhaust note is a thing of beauty. Additionally, the gas mileage is already a problem for some people, so if you start changing out the exhaust, adding CAI, springs, etc, you may end up with a 5% gain in power but also suffer a 5-7 MPG loss in fuel economy.

I'm going to add clear corners, aluminum pedals, window tint (20%), and I just got the 3M paint protection. Aside from that, this car is beautiful STOCK! Why mess with perfection?

Old 03-01-2005, 10:44 PM
What is your take on the paint protection? I turned down the Simonize paint and interior protection form the dealer.

Old 03-01-2005, 11:00 PM
I would NEVER, ever, ever buy a dealer solicited paint/interior plan. PERIOD!!!

Not to sound high and mighty, but I know the detail shop owner who does all of the paint/interior protection for Infiniti of Kirkland here in the Seattle area. Infiniti quoted me a price of $1295 for the 3M clear bra, which I obviously declined. I then called THE SAME detail shop they use and had it installed for only $650 incl. tax for the full kit. Better yet, that same detail shop will now give me 10% off of any additional services I have done with them. Tint, detail, engine clean, etc.

To answer your question, I do believe in paint/interior protection for new cars. Very much so in fact. The thing is, a product like Zaino that you do yourself gives you every bit of the protection that the "dealer installed" stuff does for 75% less money. As for the interior, you can simply scotch guard the carpets (YOURSELF), buy some nice leather cleaner/conditioner spray (or wipes), and a california mini-duster and you're good to go. Put on a UV dashboard protectant (not armor-all) once every 3 months and you're set. Don't spray the crap out of your interior either. Most people think that if they put down tons of chemicals, their cars will be "even more" protected. NOT TRUE!! Go light with the leather conditioner, and VERY LIGHT with the dash treatment. Using too much of this stuff either vapors off onto the windows or saturates the leather. If you treat both the exterior and the inerior of your car every 3 months, you'll have a lifetime of good looks. Of course you want to wash your car weekly and vacuum often, but do not feel the need to chemically treat your car every week. Good luck!!

Old 03-01-2005, 11:09 PM
By the way, I think the 3M clear bra is one of the best products on the market today. For $500-$700, you can ensure that your car will have 75% fewer chips than if you choose not to do it. My wife is now driving my 2001 Nissan Maxima. I babied that car, but it still has AT LEAST 25 chips in the lower portion of the hood. The bumpers also have chips, and the side mirrors have some chips and scratches. Most of these would have been avioded with the 3M clear bra.

Yes, I'll still get the occasional rock chip, but it will be a lot easier to touch-up one or two as opposed to 20 or 30. Look into it. 3M isn't a fly-by-night company.

Old 03-01-2005, 11:09 PM
Unimaginative, Indecisive User
osclib2... since you have diamond graphite, i'd get the clear corners, tint, or both. i think those make the DG color a lot sleeker than it already is. congrats!

Old 03-01-2005, 11:16 PM
Infiniti of Nashville was quoting around $795 for the clear bra and $600 for the paint/interior protection. I will have to shop around for some other quotes. The clear bra really sounds like a good idea.

G35Girl, I will take your ideas into consideration...thanks.

Old 03-02-2005, 01:26 PM
For your first mod - I would suggest a radar detector.

Old 03-02-2005, 04:00 PM
BobbyG123 - Who did you use for your 3M? I purchased my G35 6MT at Infiniti of Kirkland as well and declined their offer. I was thinking of going to Stongard in Bellevue to get it put on.

Thanks for info you can provide.

Old 03-02-2005, 08:43 PM
You are right. I need a gooood radar detector

Old 03-02-2005, 10:20 PM
Grotman, I went with AccuTint. They have offices in Bellevue and Downtown Seattle, and best of all, they hold the contracts for Barrier, Mercedes, BMW, Porsche and Infiniti. The Bellevue branch of Accutint is under contract with Infiniti of Kirkland, so they'd rather not jeopardize that contract. No problem though, you can use their downtown branch and it will be handled by the same installer. Their "rack rate" is $699, but you can get 10% off if you agree to have your windows tinted by them OR get a detail job done down the road. The bottom line for me is that if they're good enough to land the contract for $80K Porsche 911's, then they're good enough for my Infiniti. Good luck!