G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Bumpers and speakers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 10:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bumpers and speakers

I'm wonder which front bumper to do on my car. My stock bumper is just old and damaged and I want to replace it. I've been looking at the nismo one but I was wondering if there's any out there, even newer stock ones, that look somewhat stock just a little more aggressive. Also, I'd like a little more performance from my 6x9 subs and was wondering which o as would be a good replacement. I'd prefer to use the stock amp but I'm okay with having to install a more powerful amp if necessary.

Old 02-18-2018, 01:33 PM
Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
My favorite bumper is the kuruma z. Elegant, classy, and sporty all at the same time. And the price used to be double of what they are now. The problem with a lot of bumpers is they don't bolt right up and require modification. The kuruma z is the best fit from what I've read and the body shop had no problem with mine except a little work for the side marker lights. Concept z makes the original mold

Old 02-18-2018, 01:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks

Originally Posted by FreshLikeAG
My favorite bumper is the kuruma z. Elegant, classy, and sporty all at the same time. And the price used to be double of what they are now. The problem with a lot of bumpers is they don't bolt right up and require modification. The kuruma z is the best fit from what I've read and the body shop had no problem with mine except a little work for the side marker lights. Concept z makes the original mold
I'll take a look at those. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 02-18-2018, 01:52 PM
For speakers I figured for how much driving we do might as well make it the most enjoyable getting to where we need to go. If I had an aftermarket exhaust that's all I would need. The g35 exhaust is a music of its own. However, I always listen to music when I drive so I went with JL audio speakers in the front and rear deck and took out the rear side speakers. You wont hear much, if any, difference unless you're in the back seat since the rear deck speakers bounce the sound off the back glass sending soundwaves forward instead of side to side. The difference with high quality speakers and low will be heard at loud levels. Go too loud on a low quality system and the sound gets distorted. I havent been able to reach a level of distortion with mine vecause I would like to have good hearing in 30 yrs. But the difference in a stock vs new system is HUGE. Of course it helps if you can add a little bass with a sub so you can set the bass from the speakers to almost zero for a crisp sound. The entire bose system imo sucks

Old 02-18-2018, 07:33 PM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
Stock HU, Alpines work great. Really amazed how excellent they sound in my Accord. Probably do the same in my G35 since for now I have no plans to do much else.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:45 PM
The speakers are only as good as the signal it receives. I would start with a HU

Old 02-18-2018, 10:19 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
The speakers are only as good as the signal it receives. I would start with a HU
Yes and no. A new head unit needs a 4 channel amp. Luckily we live in an age where technology is much cheaper than it used to be, unfortunately we don't live in an age where double din kits are any cheaper than they used to be.

Getting high quality sound from our cars will require at least a $1200 investment with a JDM DD kit and keeping proper steering wheel controls. With a metra kit and no steering controls, you could probably get away with $900.

That's just a nice HU (DD), 4 speakers of acceptable quality, a DD kit, wiring harnesses, antenna, and an Alpine Power Pack (or equivalent).

The killer is the dash kit being $400 alone.

​​​​

​​​​

Old 02-18-2018, 10:48 PM
Why would you need an amp just to replace the HU? The HU has a max watts rating per channel. I think it's a pretty important part of a system. It all depends on the budget and it can be a project over time. Add a thing here and there. My order would probably be HU, speakers, amp, small sub. I also didn't like the size of the factory wiring. It was money well spent for me

Old 02-19-2018, 01:06 AM
Received 369 Likes on 337 Posts
U can get some pretty good head units on ebay for less than 200 bucks. They will be used but still in excellent condition.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:09 AM
Why would you need an amp just to replace the HU? The HU has a max watts rating per channel. I think it's a pretty important part of a system. It all depends on the budget and it can be a project over time. Add a thing here and there. My order would probably be HU, speakers, amp, small sub. I also didn't like the size of the factory wiring. It was money well spent for me
Because cabin space is a thing..? No head unit can power speakers properly in the cabin space of these cars. What are you 17?

I have a 375w HU (built-in amp) in my 2-seater insight (half the cabin space of the G) and I still wanna put in an amp.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
Because cabin space is a thing..? No head unit can power speakers properly in the cabin space of these cars. What are you 17?

I have a 375w HU (built-in amp) in my 2-seater insight (half the cabin space of the G) and I still wanna put in an amp.
Nice try, sounds like something a 17 year old would say. I can tell you're immature just by saying that. Don't try and be a keyboard warrior and start ****. That's not what I'm here for. I'm here to give my .02 cents and get info when I need it.
Are you trying to say the cabin space is large? I don't quite understand...
So you replaced your headunit with no amp. Don't tell him that you need an amp just to replace your headunit leading people in the wrong direction. All I'm saying is the factory system sucks imo. And for a full overhaul you have to start somewhere and I would start with the HU.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:09 AM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
On what is now a 14 year old car, it could definitely benefit from better speakers. Actually doesn't sound bad with the stock speakers tbh. But doesn't sound as crisp as my Accord which also has the stock HU (has factory nav so replacing it really wasn't an option) with the Alpines.

Obviously if I were to replace the HU, I'd go much higher end with the speakers.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:49 PM
Nice try, sounds like something a 17 year old would say. I can tell you're immature just by saying that. Don't try and be a keyboard warrior and start ****. That's not what I'm here for. I'm here to give my .02 cents and get info when I need it.
Are you trying to say the cabin space is large? I don't quite understand...
So you replaced your headunit with no amp. Don't tell him that you need an amp just to replace your headunit leading people in the wrong direction. All I'm saying is the factory system sucks imo. And for a full overhaul you have to start somewhere and I would start with the HU.
You're right..I'm sorry. Lol this place has changed a lot in the last couple years.

Ok, yes, the cabin space in this car is too big for the paltry sound you'll get from just replacing the HU.

Example: I did what you said and just replaced the HU first thinking I could do it in stages. I got a Pioneer Appradio 3 (very nice HU). Max volume (in numbers) on this radio is 40, and I had to have that thing at 38 just to hear it, and it wasn't quality sound. After installing an amp, it is now unlistenably loud at 13 and it sounds outstanding.

When you power speakers you want WAY more power than you need so that the amp basically has to do very little work, and you fly WAY under the point of distortion. I'm just saying it would be less of a hassle to maybe collect the pieces and then install it all at once, cuz you will more than likely not be happy with the sound of just replacing the HU, and it might be more of an annoyance than to just leave the whole stock system there for the time being.

Speakers can actually be put off til later, but doing the HU without an amp really isn't satisfactory and all you need is an Alpine ktp-455u power pack do improve the sound immensely. I think you can find them used for $100. $150 new.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:48 PM
Received 369 Likes on 337 Posts
If youre getting super loud volume at 13 then u should turn the volume down on the amp.

You are pushing the speakers to their max at 13, and left with unuseable volume control on the head unit. Which if used, risks blowing the speakers. Thats like putting a huge overkill turbo on your car that can only be used up to half throttle, any more throttle and itll blow the engine. Just doesnt make sense to me.

I would turn the amp down to the point where the max control on the head unit is the desired max volume I would wanna hear from the speakers. I like that linear control. But hey, thats just my preference.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by Scorpi0
If youre getting super loud volume at 13 then u should turn the volume down on the amp.

You are pushing the speakers to their max at 13, and left with unuseable volume control on the head unit. Which if used, risks blowing the speakers. Thats like putting a huge overkill turbo on your car that can only be used up to half throttle, any more throttle and itll blow the engine. Just doesnt make sense to me.

I would turn the amp down to the point where the max control on the head unit is the desired max volume I would wanna hear from the speakers. I like that linear control. But hey, thats just my preference.
The unlistenably loud comment was a bit hyperbolic. I'm just saying I gained a ton more volume. I don't listen to it very loud, anyway, and it sounds great in the range in which I listen. Never even touched a point of distortion.only time I turn it up is when I'm watching movies. Lol