G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Broken rusted mid pipe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 06:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken rusted mid pipe

So I had an exhaust leak for a week figured I'd take a look at it today while doing an oil change, went to get oil and on my way home heard scrapping noise under the car parked the car in front of the house and saw this.

Sorry for the bad pics these are from the drivers side, haven't put it on stands yet to look under, going to take is to an exhaust muffler shop tomorrow anyone know how much it would cost hoping they can just weld it back together or something. The car overall has been good to me sad to see it like this.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:11 PM
Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Try to find a used coupe or sedan mid-pipe on craigslist, probably quite a bit cheaper than having a shop weld up something new. It's definitely too far gone to be welded back together.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:17 PM
Just took a 2nd look, looks like it broke from the Y pipe, cheapest oem new is about 400-500. Wanting oem sound because the rest of my system is oem, any recommendations for aftermarket?

Old 10-10-2018, 09:52 PM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
I have my oem exhaust for sale for much less than that (catback to the tail pipes).
I am in Florida though and by the looks of that rust......you're far from here - shipping can be an option if you're interested.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:51 AM
Originally Posted by BradMD_96
I have my oem exhaust for sale for much less than that (catback to the tail pipes).
I am in Florida though and by the looks of that rust......you're far from here - shipping can be an option if you're interested.
Located in Wisconsin, I believe I only need the Y pipe, taking it to the shop later today seeing what they quote me. Really hoping they can cut some of the section off between where it connects to the mid pipe and replace it with a new pipe by Saturday. Need the car for a roadtrip this Sunday.
cheapest Y pipe on ebay is 120, going to check local pull your part, and see if there are any oems in there hopefully I won't run into aftermarket junk.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:53 AM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
I'm on my third Y-pipe now. First one was a Megan and it rotted away at the flex joints after about two years and now I have a Walker on there. The first time I replaced it; I had to get a new (used) mid-pipe, since the flanges were rotted away. Meineke charged me about 150 dollars to replace the flange with a straight pipe to connect the pieces together. The second time they wanted even more money to fix the flex joints. I'm not knocking a welder, but the prices they charge are insane, so don't be surprised if it's a few hundred dollars to fix yours. If they can get good clean metal they can easily splice a new piece in, but don't expect that piece to last more than two years either! The pipe they welded on for me...developed a large hole in it, so doing the math I would I have had to pay several hundred dollars to fix my exhaust again. So, instead I bought a Walker y-pipe and 15 dollar Fiba heat wrap to fix my exhaust leak. I paid about a little over 150-200 dollars for parts and doing the rest myself. It doesn't even sound that different to me either, so if you can get a used one go for it, but if you're on a budget and DIY don't be too scared of some of the aftermarket stuff. If you do the job yourself...get an angle grinder and make sure you wear eye protection; I would def recommend a face shield.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:57 AM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
read the recent thread about how to get rusted studs out of the cat (search y-pipe hell). if yours rusted that badly i'll bet the cat to y-pipe nuts/studs are completely shot and will have to be cut off. it's not hard if you follow the instructions others have done. i agree that an inexpensive aftermarket y-pipe like megan (what i just put on) or others doesn't sound much/any different than oem and is way cheaper if you can swap it yourself.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:45 PM
What helps support the mid pipe up is it just the Y pipe?
Was going to use a wire hanger to hang the midpipe up so I can drive a mile down to the muffler shop but boy is that thing heavy, couldn't find anything around to hook on to support it up. Will have to tow it to the shop.

Some bonus images of this 15 year old exhaust system
Definitely replacing Y pipe after this winter with a brand new one or maybe aftermarket and have a shop install.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:26 AM
Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
One owner 2004 G35 Coupe 6MT
Originally Posted by Jakasd
What helps support the mid pipe up is it just the Y pipe?
Was going to use a wire hanger to hang the midpipe up so I can drive a mile down to the muffler shop but boy is that thing heavy, couldn't find anything around to hook on to support it up. Will have to tow it to the shop.

Some bonus images of this 15 year old exhaust system
Definitely replacing Y pipe after this winter with a brand new one or maybe aftermarket and have a shop install.
The mid-pipe does have one hangar towards the rear. As was mentioned check out the y-pipe hell thread. I'm not sure if they have any left, but I picked up a used OEM mid-pipe in very good condition for about $130 shipped from Z1. I'm shocked at the amount of corrosion on yours. I replaced mine but only because the flange that connects to the muffler had disintegrated, the rest of the pipe (and the other flange) was fine.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:20 AM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Pull the mid pipe and muffler off for the drive to the shop. save yourself the tow.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:46 AM
Anyone know if the oem heat shield will fit on the after market Y pipes? About to order one amazon review for walker pipe said it didn't come with some bracket, can someone clarify.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:44 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
No on the heat shield and not sure where you read it didn't come with "some bracket", it'll bolt right on and fit like a glove. Is this the one you're looking at?

Amazon Amazon

Old 10-14-2018, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
No on the heat shield and not sure where you read it didn't come with "some bracket", it'll bolt right on and fit like a glove. Is this the one you're looking at?

https://www.amazon.com/Walker-56184-...ator+g35+coupe
Sorry I think I forgot to mention I need a Y pipe and not a mid Pipe. I orginally thought it broke from the mid pipe. Heres what i was looking at
Walker Y Pipe Walker Y Pipe

Old 10-14-2018, 11:24 AM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
That looks absolutely destroyed. IMO it might be fun to buy a $200 HKS rep catback exhaust, and replace the straight through mufflers with a used OEM G37 exhaust which you can get around here for like $30... it'll need some modification to fit (and a g37 rear sway bar) but a good exhaust shop should be able to do that pretty quickly. Then you'd have an all new stainless exhaust. Working with rusty exhaust bolts is hell, it's usually easier just to cut it off and put a new one on IMO.

Last edited by cswlightning; 10-14-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:53 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
I have that walker and it's fine. I'd buy it from RockAuto though, since they have better prices.