G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Possible solution for my oil leak?

Old 04-23-2019, 04:44 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Possible solution for my oil leak?

Just recently Iíve been getting a few drops of what seems to be oil when my car is parked in my garage for a few hours.Its nothing much but a few drops a day.Anyways itís been getting over my steering boot along with some around my oil filter.At first I took it to a mechanic and he said it was my steering rack but I found it kinda fishy.After doing some investigating myself for a few minutes I noticed that I believe that the leak is coming from above the passenger side steering rack.Can somebody PLEASE tell me what that part is called that is circled in red.It is located on top of the passenger side boot/passenger side compression arm.

Old 04-23-2019, 04:53 PM

I believe itís the metal part where the valve covers go (sorry my engine knowledge is bad) but underneath it.the valve covers were replaced 3 weeks ago and havenít had any issues since.there isnít any oil sludge around the valve cover or spark plugs holes
Originally Posted by Ichiglo_ View Post
Just recently Iíve been getting a few drops of what seems to be oil when my car is parked in my garage for a few hours.Its nothing much but a few drops a day.Anyways itís been getting over my steering boot along with some around my oil filter.At first I took it to a mechanic and he said it was my steering rack but I found it kinda fishy.After doing some investigating myself for a few minutes I noticed that I believe that the leak is coming from above the passenger side steering rack.Can somebody PLEASE tell me what that part is called that is circled in red.It is located on top of the passenger side boot/passenger side compression arm.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:31 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,168 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Sadly I don't have a clue what that part is but I'm curious as hell. cleric where are you hehe?

Old 04-23-2019, 05:34 PM
BANNED!!!
Received 756 Likes on 699 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
That's just a heat shield over the headers but the valve cover is directly above it. That back passenger cover is REALLY tight when putting the VCs back on, if they didn't unbolt all the EVAP stuff to make more room then there's a really good chance they didn't get the gasket on properly. If you're leaking motor oil that's probably what happened.

Did you have these leaks BEFORE getting the gasket fixed?

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (04-25-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 06:05 PM
No visible leaks just a very oily driver side valve cover but my passenger side was always nice and dry.Now itís my passenger side that has the problem
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
That's just a heat shield over the headers but the valve cover is directly above it. That back passenger cover is REALLY tight when putting the VCs back on, if they didn't unbolt all the EVAP stuff to make more room then there's a really good chance they didn't get the gasket on properly. If you're leaking motor oil that's probably what happened.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:08 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
1990 Mustang GT - 351W Lightning bored/stroked 383CI TFS heads 78mm Turbonetics huricane
Like Cleric said: the passenger valve cover gasket. It's the only place that oil can come from on that side and hit your manifold shield. I would make sure and carb clean everything and let it run for 30 mins re check for leaks. Very hard to find leaks after driving since it gets blown around. But I have learned that oil leaks always go down and towards the rear of the car.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

thank you you were right! Took my car to a Nissan dealership and they performed a Dye oil leak test and they confirmed it was my valve covers.Turns out it was both and they had told me that my previous mechanic added too much rtv and didnít seal them up right.They also told me that there was no way to save them as the gaskets will rip during removing them.It was my fault for buying cheap valve covers from amazon for $30 each.They will be putting in OEM covers and gaskets and itís going to cost me a fortune but oh well I donít trust anyone around my area with my car so Iím going to trust the Nissan mechanics with it.Thank you so much cleric you really helped!

Old 04-26-2019, 11:15 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,168 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
This is probably too late but you don't need to have the dealer hose you for all new parts and labor. The valve covers weren't your issue, it was they were improperly installed. The inexpensive VC's from Rockauto work great if they're installed correctly. Live and learn I suppose.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:17 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I ordered the cheap valve covers from rock auto, installed myself a couple weeks ago. I decided to buy the beck/arnley gaskets, and I'm glad I did; they were much better quality, fit slightly better, and the rivets that held them in place were deeper, holding them tighter in the groove to the valve cover.

Not an oil leak yet!

The following 2 users liked this post by fitgineer_93:
Blue Dream (04-30-2019), Ichiglo_ (05-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 04:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sedan
Yes, I always go quality for gaskets and order thru Rockauto. Pick FelPro, Victor Renz, Mahle, or Beck Anrley and look for updated part numbers when available.

Pretty sure I have a small valve cover leak on my driver's side cover near the front timing chain cover. But too small to worry about as replacing you run the risk of creating a bigger one if you don't get it right.

On a related note, I thought the factory valve cover was just RTV all the way around?

Old 05-02-2019, 09:38 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
1990 Mustang GT - 351W Lightning bored/stroked 383CI TFS heads 78mm Turbonetics huricane
The factory covers use a standard rubber oring type gasket. They a extremely hard to get installed correctly. I have even seen valve covers leak after mechanic shops have installed them. The only way I will do it from now on is to rtv the gasket to the cover and bolt it to a spare head or mock engine and let it dry over night. Then it can not fall out of place on install.

The following users liked this post:
kelman81 (05-02-2019)