G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35 vs. maxima

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 01:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gtbigup01
Do you really think the aero package and drag issues really work for the speeds most people will drive? I guess you believe the civics with the huge wings are actually using it for it's intended purpose too. Look I'm by no means tring to put down the G, I just bought one myself 04 6 sp. and love it to death. Thing is every forum I am a member of no-one likes to hear that another vehicle is faster than their model, unless of course it's a no brainer. Me I don't give a crap, if something is faster than what I drive, oh well, just as long as I love what I drive.
Yes I do bring my car over a 100mph quite often and my car is rock solid on stock suspension. And I just sold my Maxima of 4 years so trust me I know them very well. My G 6spd is faster no doubt about it and I had a lot of mods on the Max (y-pipe/b-pipe/udp/suspension/upgrade brakes etc. ...close though. I have pulled on auto g sedans out on the highway with that maxima especially in the top end on a number of occasions. However the G is a better car in everyway except price and interior size. The G is head and shoulders above the Maxima period.

My Maxima was nicer looking than most G sedans I have seen on this site let alone stock G sedans/coupes. So no I'm no knocking the Maxima it is what it is.... FWD, no independant rear suspension, rattle trap etc.. but still a good ride especially now since they can be had for very good deals used.

Peace

Last edited by Gting; 03-09-2005 at 02:01 AM.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:15 AM
By the way, I love all the Maximas prior to the new 6th gen. I loved my 99...

Old 03-09-2005, 06:42 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Gting
Yes I do bring my car over a 100mph quite often and my car is rock solid on stock suspension. And I just sold my Maxima of 4 years so trust me I know them very well. My G 6spd is faster no doubt about it and I had a lot of mods on the Max (y-pipe/b-pipe/udp/suspension/upgrade brakes etc. ...close though. I have pulled on auto g sedans out on the highway with that maxima especially in the top end on a number of occasions. However the G is a better car in everyway except price and interior size. The G is head and shoulders above the Maxima period.

My Maxima was nicer looking than most G sedans I have seen on this site let alone stock G sedans/coupes. So no I'm no knocking the Maxima it is what it is.... FWD, no independant rear suspension, rattle trap etc.. but still a good ride especially now since they can be had for very good deals used.

Peace
Nice ride, looks like the same color I had. Sterling Mist. Peace

Old 03-09-2005, 07:35 AM
[QUOTE=Gting] I have pulled on auto g sedans out on the highway with that maxima especially in the top end on a number of occasions. However the G is a better car in everyway except price and interior size. The G is head and shoulders above the Maxima period.

Well not many mods to pull on an auto G. It must have been a 03 since I doubt the older max could pull on an 05 auto g... Or they did not care after a certain speed.

I hear lots of people say they pull on this car or that after 90 -100 and I say that maybe the person after they beat you, decided well 100 is enough. Not many people want to race up beyond a certain speed..

Old 03-09-2005, 07:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also spent alot of time on Maxima.org and it was a great board. I liked my 2003 Maxima alot. It had some rattles here and there, and the turning radius sucked, but it was a great car for the money. After all, it did cost 10K less than a G at the time. There has to be some differences.

I originally wanted a G before I got the Max, but they were only RWD and I hate RWD in the snow when I am carrying clients around. So I got the Maxima. A year later, they introduced the X and I was kinda pissed. It brewed inside for a year before I finally went and drove the X. I was sold instantly. It is truly a great car to drive. Those who have had both understand.

Old 03-09-2005, 08:22 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by RichK
I also spent alot of time on Maxima.org and it was a great board. I liked my 2003 Maxima alot. It had some rattles here and there, and the turning radius sucked, but it was a great car for the money. After all, it did cost 10K less than a G at the time. There has to be some differences.

I originally wanted a G before I got the Max, but they were only RWD and I hate RWD in the snow when I am carrying clients around. So I got the Maxima. A year later, they introduced the X and I was kinda pissed. It brewed inside for a year before I finally went and drove the X. I was sold instantly. It is truly a great car to drive. Those who have had both understand.
I agree with RichK, there is no reason for some of the peeps here to slam the Maxima. It still is a great ride (I am talking about my past rides 94, 02 Maxima). I might still own one if the G35 did not come out with the X. Our G35X is my wife's and she needs a vehicle with good snow traction because she has to travel a lot of snow covered rural roads commuting sometimes. The rwd is nicer in all respects except for snow traction so we had fwd for her until the arrival of the X.

Old 03-09-2005, 10:44 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by gtbigup01
Nice ride, looks like the same color I had. Sterling Mist. Peace
I had a 2003 I35 prior to my G. I loved the body style, size, wheels and gorgous interior. However, I had front end vibration problems that Infiniti could not fix after 6 tries. The dealer finally took the car back after a BBB battle and filing for lemon law. Infinit Consumer Services S**ks. They were absofreakinlutely useless to me as a customer. The dealer helped me into my G. But, I;'ll tell ya what, I don't want to support Infinit products again. I am hoping that when I am ready for another purchase, I can snub Infiniti the was consumer services snubbed me. I have already started as my wife recently bought a car and I stayed away from Nissan/Infiniti. Yea Me!!

Old 03-09-2005, 12:52 PM
[QUOTE=mickey3c]
I have pulled on auto g sedans out on the highway with that maxima especially in the top end on a number of occasions. However the G is a better car in everyway except price and interior size. The G is head and shoulders above the Maxima period.

Well not many mods to pull on an auto G. It must have been a 03 since I doubt the older max could pull on an 05 auto g... Or they did not care after a certain speed.

I hear lots of people say they pull on this car or that after 90 -100 and I say that maybe the person after they beat you, decided well 100 is enough. Not many people want to race up beyond a certain speed..

I have done enough highway runs to know when someone lets off. We started around 90 went to 140 a few times. He could only pull at the bottom of my 4th gear after that I would reel him in slowly and pass him at the top of my 4th (125mph) and kept ahead by at least 3-4+ cars to 140. We did this a few times so he was on it. Few shorter runs with coupes and very similar results. PLUS I had a 2001 3.0 5spd which has an awesome top end especially with intake/y-pipe. It was last summer so it was probably 03/04 G. I have no idea how much faster the 05 auto G is over the 03/04. However it would be a very close run between an 05 auto G and a intake/y 2001 5spd in the top end. Don't sleep on Maximas.

Last edited by Gting; 03-09-2005 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:26 PM
I would love to see dyno numbers on the 01... And gearing ratios.

Old 03-09-2005, 05:58 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey3c
I would love to see dyno numbers on the 01... And gearing ratios.
2000-2001 Maxima 5 speed SE

Curb Weight: ~3190lbs

1st 3.29 37mph
2nd 1.85 67mph
3rd 1.27 98mph
4th 0.95 131mph
5th 0.80 156mph (drag limited to around 145mph)

Final Drive 3.82

Stock whp: ~180-185 @6200rpms
Stock wtq: ~180-185@4500rpms
Power to weight: 17.2:1

Typical 1/4 mile for this setup is 14.7-14.9@93-95mph

With a y-pipe and intake
whp: ~200-205@6200rpms
wtq: ~195-200@4500rpms
Power to weight: 15.5:1

Typical 1/4 mile for this setup is 14.2-14.5@96-98mph

Stock 03/04 G35 sedan auto
Typical 1/4 mile for this setup is 14.5-14.7@93-95mph
Power to weight: 15.9:1

The G35 gets walked on the highway by a lightly modded 5 speed 00-01 Maxima. It gets a bit worse when you're talking about the 3.5 02-03 Maximas. Atleast your G35 will feel more stable in topend when you're getting walked by the Maxima

BTW, I'm only talking about manual Maximas. The 00-01 auto Maximas are VERY slow and the 02-03 autos are strong to about 80mph and then their gearing (only a 4 speed auto) completely kills the topend.

Old 03-09-2005, 06:16 PM
I just drove my old 03 max 6M, this weekend, with just a intake and I swear it was faster 0-60 but I couldn't believe how long and soft the gears were, and of course the turning radius was awful.....and I couldn't wait to get back into the G even if the my Max was faster straight line

Old 03-09-2005, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB
The G35 gets walked on the highway by a lightly modded 5 speed 00-01 Maxima. It gets a bit worse when you're talking about the 3.5 02-03 Maximas. Atleast your G35 will feel more stable in topend when you're getting walked by the Maxima

And where are you getting your info on this??? The #'s you posted show the G35 a min. of 0.5' second faster then the maxima in the 1/4 mile times, so how excactly does the maxima walk all over a G35 on the highway? There weight is pretty close to each other, the G35 has more HP @ wheels and has a better CD then the maxima... So your statement makes no sense..

And don't use the argument a """MODDED""" maxima can beat a G35... Hell a Modded Turbo Civic could beat it also... so comparisons like that are rather lame...

Last edited by Dan_1; 03-09-2005 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by Dan
And where are you getting your info on this??? The #'s you posted show the G35 a min. of 0.5' second faster then the maxima in the 1/4 mile times, so how excactly does the maxima walk all over a G35 on the highway? There weight is pretty close to each other, the G35 has more HP @ wheels and has a better CD then the maxima... So your statement makes no sense..

And don't use the argument a """MODDED""" maxima can beat a G35... Hell a Modded Turbo Civic could beat it also... so comparisons like that are rather lame...

My 2001 3.0L 5spd Maxima with an intake and Y-pipe (simple $300 in mods... no turbo etc...) would pull on an auto G sedan on the highway and sorry a ztube won't do enough to keep up (the auto g would need a lot more than $300 in mods. Period!! Been there done that a number of times in real life (not magazine or dyno racing) so get over it and that was on my 19's, system in my trunk and my spare. My car was very stable since I had it lowerd on stech teins, rear sway bar an front strut tower brace.

Peak dyno numbers mean very little. The curve of the 3.0 HP peaks at fuel cut so every shift puts you in the absolute best part of the power band and the 4th gear is killer once the variable intake kicks in at 5200 rpm right to fuel cut. I will guarantee you DaveB knows what he is talking about. There is no argument here I have also been a member of maxima.org for 4 years and been on many dynos.

Also don't the auto G sedans have a top speed limiter of 135? Making 5spd maximas even more of highway beast over them since they can top 140-150. Bye bye auto G...

I am willing to bet a well driven stock 2001 5spd Maxima (3.0L engine) vs a stock g sedan would be very even on the highway. Both with similar size and weight of rims.

I currently drive a 2005 6spd G35 Sedan so I can speak from direct unbias experience. Not sure what the big deal is here...

Last edited by Gting; 03-09-2005 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:38 PM
Also don't the auto G sedans have a top speed limiter of 135? Making 5spd maximas even more of highway beast over them since they can top 140-150. Bye bye auto G...

I am willing to bet a well driven stock 2001 5spd Maxima (3.0L engine) vs a stock g sedan would be very even on the highway. Both with similar size and weight of rims.

I currently drive a 2005 6spd G35 Sedan so I can speak from direct unbias experience. Not sure what the big deal is here...
I'm fairly certain that the G35 speed limiter is set at about 145 mph (definitely not limited to 135 mph... it's over 140 mph); many here know from experience...that's very fast, 'ya know.

Last edited by bsgoren; 03-09-2005 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:14 PM
I did not mean to start a heated debate on which was car was better. I just wanted to know some few things. It was pretty helpful. I just came over from the wrx/subaru family and not to familiar with the nissan/infiniti platforms. Who cares anyways a stock c6 auto corvette will eat up anything.

peace

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 vs. maxima