G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35 vs. maxima

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 11:39 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan
And where are you getting your info on this??? The #'s you posted show the G35 a min. of 0.5' second faster then the maxima in the 1/4 mile times, so how excactly does the maxima walk all over a G35 on the highway? There weight is pretty close to each other, the G35 has more HP @ wheels and has a better CD then the maxima... So your statement makes no sense..
You have to consider the traction limitations of FWD and the 1/4 mile trap speed of the Maxima. The G35 is going to put a hole shot on the Maxima from the start and by around 50-60mph, the Maxima has caught up. Both cars accelerate about the same to around 80mph and then the better gearing and lower drivetrain loss of the Maxima takes over. The lightly modded Maxima finishes the 1/4 mile a couple tenths quicker and over 2mph faster. That means the G35 is getting walked. As the speeds increase over 100mph, the Maxima will slowly starting to walking the G35 even more. Gear ratios, power to weight, and drivetrain losses become significant at high speeds.

I used the 00-01 Maxima with a y/i because those were the numbers requested in the post. A y-pipe and intake is a $250-300 mod and most Maxima guys do these ultra simple and effective mods first. If you're racing a Maxima, chances are it's been modified.

Old 03-09-2005, 11:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you still have not sold me on this... but i'd give you the benfit of the doubt

That said tho, You theroy of drivetrain loss does not hold up because the G35 has more power to begin with... Now if they both had the same HP/Torque then I could see the Maxima benfitting from less drivetrain loss....

Also if you got two guys willing to race down the highway, odds are both cars modified

Either way, I still give props to the maxima... It's funny tho, I went to buy one, and drove past a Infiniti dealership and saw the new G35's in the parking lot.. I stopped out of curiosty and ended up putting a deposit on the new 6MT that was coming out at the time..

Old 03-10-2005, 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by Gting
My 2001 3.0L 5spd Maxima with an intake and Y-pipe (simple $300 in mods... no turbo etc...) would pull on an auto G sedan on the highway and sorry a ztube won't do enough to keep up (the auto g would need a lot more than $300 in mods. Period!! Been there done that a number of times in real life (not magazine or dyno racing) so get over it and that was on my 19's, system in my trunk and my spare. My car was very stable since I had it lowerd on stech teins, rear sway bar an front strut tower brace.
Ya but put a Stillen Exhaust/Intake on the G35 and lets party
True that setup costs about $1200, but if money was an issue you wouldn't be buying a G35

Old 03-10-2005, 02:26 AM
Originally Posted by bsgoren
I'm fairly certain that the G35 speed limiter is set at about 145 mph (definitely not limited to 135 mph... it's over 140 mph); many here know from experience...that's very fast, 'ya know.
I thought it was 135 for some reason since I kept a good solid lead (a good solid bus lenght maybe a bit more) up to about 145ish and I stayed there for a quite a bit (30seconds-1min) and they simply were not reeling me in at all but hanging back there....

Last edited by Gting; 03-10-2005 at 02:34 AM.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:28 AM
Originally Posted by G ThirtyFizzleX
I did not mean to start a heated debate on which was car was better. I just wanted to know some few things. It was pretty helpful. I just came over from the wrx/subaru family and not to familiar with the nissan/infiniti platforms. Who cares anyways a stock c6 auto corvette will eat up anything.

peace

The G is a much better than the Maxima no doubt. The auto G's simply are highway beasts like the 6psd Maximas/G35 let alone 2000-2001 5spd Maximas with 3.0litre engines

Old 03-10-2005, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by G35keg
Ya but put a Stillen Exhaust/Intake on the G35 and lets party
True that setup costs about $1200, but if money was an issue you wouldn't be buying a G35

I actually didn't even have an aftermarket intake on my Maxima. Just a modified stock airbox with stock filter and stock muffler. (GAB mod for Maxima guys). And I bought my y-pipe used for $150 . My car was still very quiet and nice to drive. Not annoying like a stillen exhaust is on a g35. Plus the stillen is a rip off at $1000 and not suitable for a G35 sedan IMO. It would help but with a very annoying drone and I still think the extra 10hp would not be enough out on the highway. Probably pretty close though. Also the stillen intake is a waste of money and will do nothing but make even more noise. Better off with just a ztube.

Over the years I had the greddy evo2 catback, custom catback with magnaflow, test pipe etc.. So I am very familar with aftermarket catbacks. They are very annoying on these types of cars. If I was 16-19 years old then it would be great.

PS Money is always an issue for everyone so your comment is kinda of wack. Just because someone buys a G35 sedan doesn't mean they have the money or willing to drop $1000 on an annoyingb Stealin' catback that gives minimal gains for the money.

Last edited by Gting; 03-10-2005 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:08 AM
My car was still very quiet and nice to drive. Not annoying like a stillen exhaust is on a g35. Plus the stillen is a rip off at $1000 and not suitable for a G35 sedan IMO.

PS Money is always an issue for everyone so your comment is kinda of wack. Just because someone buys a G35 sedan doesn't mean they have the money or willing to drop $1000 on an annoyingb Stealin' catback that gives minimal gains for the money.
As far as the Stillen beying annoying sounding and not suitable for the sedan that is a matter of opinion. For all the talk about racing there's G's, people have a weak tolerance for exhausts sounds ...

If you have dyno's showing your custom exhausts making more HP and being more quiet then the Stillen, I would luv to see them... I would even swap out my stillen for one... But somehow I doubt you have any of that info..

As far as money being no issue, if you buy a G35 and can't afford a few bolt ons then I would say your stretchin your paycheck a little thin... and probably can't really afford a G35 to begin with.. But to each there own..

Old 03-10-2005, 11:17 AM
As far as the Stillen beying annoying sounding and not suitable for the sedan that is a matter of opinion. For all the talk about racing there's G's, people have a weak tolerance for exhausts sounds ...

If you have dyno's showing your custom exhausts making more HP and being more quiet then the Stillen, I would luv to see them... I would even swap out my stillen for one... But somehow I doubt you have any of that info..

As far as money being no issue, if you buy a G35 and can't afford a few bolt ons then I would say your stretchin your paycheck a little thin... and probably can't really afford a G35 to begin with.. But to each there own..

$1000 for that Stealin' catback is a rip off straight up for the gains you get and the annoying drone. If you could swap out the muffler for something a lot more quiet it would be great. I wouldn't put on my car for free for any period of time unless I was doing a lot of track racing or hanging out at the local Walmart with ricers. That being said what are your track times? Guy look at the pictures of my Maxima trust me I know what it costs to play and my Maxima was show quality inside and out plus it had the bite of a normally aspirated V6 with basic mods to back it up. You have rims, springs, ztube and a catback. WOW!! You want to drop money on Stealin' stuff go ahead since most of it is crap and a waste of money ie. your intake. But having your car sound like a rice machine justifies your "investment" than feel free to do so. Hopefully you get a raise so you can get a M5 or an E55. Just because someone does not want to pay $1000 for a mod does not mean their money is tight....gimme a break!! 99.99% of Sedan owners would agree with me. Some of us OWN homes and have families some of which makes their G a 2nd or even 3rd car. I still put money on a 2001 5spd maxima with a few mods against your car out on the highway. My bone stock 6spd G would rip you on the highway even with your $1000 catback, $200 intake, $100 ztube. Go ahead get a Stealin' y-pipe or headers as well as a test pipe.
Ya I sold my house to buy my G35. I have to sell my furniture now to get rims and a tint.

PS I also have a Carrera 4 so don't even bother to front with your mighty $1000 catback.

i'm done with this thread. Have fun with your replies....

Last edited by Gting; 03-10-2005 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:29 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Wow did everyone forget that the G and the Maxima are both Nissan products? Why all the bad mouthing? Let drive, race, have fun and be happy.

Old 03-11-2005, 02:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I happen to be a current Maxima owner that is looking into getting a G35 soon, but financial problems at home are preventing me from getting one.....No doubt the G35 is a heck of a lot nicer than the 6th gen Maxima in my opinion.

Old 03-11-2005, 04:13 AM
Originally Posted by gtbigup01
Wow did everyone forget that the G and the Maxima are both Nissan products? Why all the bad mouthing? Let drive, race, have fun and be happy.

If I came off sounding like I was bad mouthing the Maxima, I apologize. That was definatly not my intention.

Old 03-11-2005, 04:59 AM
Polyester Pileup FTW!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I loved my 2k2 Maxima but the G in my opinion is clearly a better more enjoyable car. My Maxima was modded to the teeth and sitting on JIC coilovers but still did not handle as well as my G coupe did stock.

Last edited by PhxBlue; 03-11-2005 at 05:09 AM.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:55 AM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PhxBlue
I loved my 2k2 Maxima but the G in my opinion is clearly a better more enjoyable car. My Maxima was modded to the teeth and sitting on JIC coilovers but still did not handle as well as my G coupe did stock.

Of course not! The max had an archaic suspension setup that was a step backwards from the 3rd gen model. Nissan was in dire straights at the time The worse part about the Maxima was the steering...felt like playing a video game. Absolutely no feedback. Actually, I got a lot of feedback when the torque steer kicked in

Old 03-11-2005, 12:37 PM
PS I also have a Carrera 4 so don't even bother to front with your mighty $1000 catback.

Old 03-11-2005, 04:21 PM
Look in NorCal section for last years dyno day results.

- Z-tube / K&N Filter, Stillen Cat-Back - average 228.5 whp

- Z-tube, NFC Motorsports Y-Pipe, 22" Magnaflow Resntr. -average 232.3 whp

both on 04 6mt sedan.
We also measured dBs and Stillen came in second after Greddy Evo on SCed 3rd gen Eclipse.

I agree with Gting, I wouldn't put Stillen on my car for free.
Too loud. But if you're enjoying it - good for you. Just don't think your $1000 Stillen is making more power than quiet $350 custom exhaust.

Last edited by MOTOP; 03-11-2005 at 04:26 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 vs. maxima