Replacement transmission question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 12:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35x
Replacement transmission question

Hello everyone,
I'm trying to help my brother out because his transmission went out on his 2006 g35x.
I guess it had a leak and he asked a mechanic to check all the fluids and a few weeks after that he was having shifting problemsand when he took it to a mechanic they told him it was really low and the fluid had shavings.

He drove it like that to work for a wile and now its done and he can't drive it anymore.

I found some replacements on ebay with a 6 month warranty but my brother told me a transmission shop guy told him that if he bought a random transmission that the ecu on his car might not accept it and his best option is to rebuild.

I've never heard of this but I've never worked on a g35x either.

would any replacement transmission work if its from a g35x? What about replacement, can that be done in a 2 car garage or is this a huge job that needs a car lift or dealership to program something?

Just a little about myself, I have a st185 toyota celica and thats also awd. I've personally removed the engine twice to work on the clutch and timing belt plus a few other things so I can say I'm familiar with working on cars.

Thanks everyone

Old 12-28-2020, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by lalojamesliz

I found some replacements on ebay with a 6 month warranty but my brother told me a transmission shop guy told him that if he bought a random transmission that the ecu on his car might not accept it and his best option is to rebuild.
I would agree that the best option is to rebuild the existing transmission.

Thoroughly read the AT section in the FSM

https://www.nicoclub.com/service-man...F2006%2Fat.pdf

TROUBLE DIAGNOSIS FOR SYMPTOMS

Make sure your brother chooses a shop that can read trouble codes

Good luck

Old 12-28-2020, 01:20 PM
Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
04.5 G35 Sedan 5AT
Rebuilding the transmission that is currently in his car is probably the easiest option.
These cars the ECU and TCM have to be calibrated to each other for them to work. On some of the Facebook groups I've seen/read cases where the 5AT transmission was replaced without any issue and others where they needed to go to the dealer to have it programmed. I think it comes down to the specific year the car was made.
Buying a used transmission could work, but like I mentioned, you may have to take it to the dealership to have the ECU & TCM married/calibrated. Finding a used G35X transmission might take more time compared to just getting his current one rebuilt.

Old 12-28-2020, 02:24 PM
G35x
Not what I wanted to hear but thanks for confirming this is possible to happen. I'll tell my brother know that it'll be easier to just rebuild.

the two places he went to about rebuilding both said $2k...... does that sound reasonable?
he lives near Los Angelese BTW

Old 12-28-2020, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Not what I wanted to hear but thanks for confirming this is possible to happen. I'll tell my brother know that it'll be easier to just rebuild.

the two places he went to about rebuilding both said $2k...... does that sound reasonable?
Perhaps?
You could always obtain additional quotes. Does the local infiniti dealer do transmission rebuilds or do they sub contract the work out to a local shop?
I would ask that question at the local Infiniti dealer. If they do ship out transmission rebuild work who do they use? You might want to go there?
Suppose you spend $2k to $2500 on the transmission and something else major needs repair. New tires, brakes, rotors, exhaust, suspension items, catalytic converter, O2 sensors, etc.
How much money do you want to drop into a fifteen year old vehicle that will most likely not increase in value after continuing to drop thousands of dollars into it.
Just my $.02
Good luck

Old 12-28-2020, 05:54 PM
G35x
Yeah I was wondering about spending that much on this car too.

Old 12-28-2020, 06:21 PM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
$2000-2500 is going rate for a master kit rebuild for a 5 speed automatic. Might be a good opportunity to see if there are internal upgrades available if he's interested in performance. I know Translab has pretty good shift kits, made a big improvement in shift feel and quickness in my Accord when it was added with a rebuild.

Old 12-29-2020, 01:44 PM
Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
04.5 G35 Sedan 5AT

Since he is in the LA area that makes it a bit harder to get a used AWD transmission. I rarely see G35X's listed for sale in this area, let alone out on the road.
Its up to him on whether he wants to spend that much on the car or not.
I did browse LA craigslist and came across this listing:
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...253283956.html
Bear in mind the compatibility is unknown. I know some of the axle ratios changed over the years for RWD cars, not sure about the X's and how they faired.

Old 12-30-2020, 08:28 AM
Received 376 Likes on 341 Posts
I had my 05 auto transmission rebuilt at a shop in Glendale
for $1500. Thats the cheapest place I could find. Everyone else wanted between $2000 and $5000....ridiculous!

Old 01-01-2021, 01:35 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,463 Likes on 2,155 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Yes you can replace the transmission in your garage with the car on jackstands. It's not really any different than any other tranny swap.

You can save the TCM out of the existing transmission and use it in the new one, it's mounted behind the valve body, if you look up directions for the TransGo shift kit installation it details removing and reinstalling the valve body, very straightforward just a bunch of bolts.

If the donor transmission has already been used in another G35 then it will not need to be programmed, that's only for brand new TCM's from what I've heard.

You also don't necessarily need an X model transmission, you can take one from a RWD and swap the tailshaft housing out for the transfer case.