G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Exhaust options for an 04 G35X

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 06:33 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock G35X w/ K&N air filter
Exhaust options for an 04 G35X

I have a CAI as well as a 5/16th plenum spacer, so I love the way the intake sounds. I also like how the stock exhaust note sounds. As with most of us, we all wish to avoid an overly raspy and droning exhaust sound. Im wanting to keep my exhaust sounding as close to stock as possible albeit with it being a little more deeper, louder and aggressive. Im wanting to get rid of the heavy stock resonator and replace it with an 18-22 inch magnaflow glasspack. If I do this and keep everything stock, will it even be that noticeable of a difference? Should I also get an aftermarket muffler or just do a muffler delete combo with the glasspack? Also I'm curious what two glasspacks would sound like. Doing a duel glasspack set up replacing the resonator as well muffler itself. Would that even sound good? I do not want it to be excessively loud at all. When I was younger and didn't care about such things I had a really great sounding 300zxTT. It just had straight pipes from cats to muffler. I had two custom duel glasspacks instead of mufflers and it sounded great. It wasn't too loud, and it would rumble at idle. So much so a lot of ppl thought I had done a V8 swap. Im looking for something similar to this just maybe a little quieter. The VG sounded great, the VQ on the other hand can sound great but is more prone to sound like complete **** if the right combo isn't installed. I also used to have a 3rd gen 94 Maxima SE. It was a 5 speed manual, came with a limited slip front diff. It had the VE30DE, same engine as the 300zx VG30DETT. But it was fwd, had a timing chain instead of a belt and of course no turbos. Other than that it was essentially the same engine. I had a custom Megan Y pipe (at the time they were just starting out to make exhaust for these cars, so I was part of a small group that did a group buy). It also had high flow cats, then straight piped to an aftermarket muffler. It came with a silencer and I never used it, but damn that thing was loud. Way louder than my 300zx. Don't get me wrong it sounded great, it was all japanese muscle. No excessive drone and raspiness whatsoever. It was just loud af all the time. You could definitely hear me at cold start, it was loud at idle, and you could definitely hear me coming down the street. Especially in high rpms in every gear. It wasn't annoying in anyway, no ricey fart can noise. They actually sounded great, but for whatever reason when it comes to these VQs. There's a sweet spot that alot of ppl either get or don't. I know I don't need headers, test pipes, etc. If I went with test pipes I'd definitely have to get a y pipe or it definitely will sound like ****. Im thinking and hoping if I just replace the resonator with a magnaflow glasspack and possibly another glasspack or a close to stock muffler. That it'd actually sound great. How loud are these cars with a muffler delete? It's hard to really make out how well or bad these cars sound just from clips online. Just looking for some advice from ppl that have done these things personally to their cars.