G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Used key fob reprogramming

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2022, 02:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Base model G35
Used key fob reprogramming

Just bought a used key fob from someone who owns a 2006 G35 (maybe it is a spare, but might also be the master). Went to the dealership to ask about reprogramming it. They told me that it is not guaranteed that the reprogramming will work. Anyone know why exactly it might not work?
The part number matches which is KBRTN001

They charge the reprogramming for $140 and a new key fob + programming for $375...Hopefully I can get more insight or even find a place that can guarantee the reprogramming

Old 12-16-2022, 05:13 PM
Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts
One owner 2004 G35 Coupe 6MT
Originally Posted by Gemichi
Just bought a used key fob from someone who owns a 2006 G35 (maybe it is a spare, but might also be the master). Went to the dealership to ask about reprogramming it. They told me that it is not guaranteed that the reprogramming will work. Anyone know why exactly it might not work?
The part number matches which is KBRTN001

They charge the re-programming for $140 and a new key fob + programming for $375...Hopefully I can get more insight or even find a place that can guarantee the reprogramming
You don't need anything special to reprogram just the key fob. https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...e-key-fob.html

By the way, I don't think it's clear in that thread but the procedure supposedly wipes out all existing key fobs. So if you have more than one key fob you need to re-program them all together.

Last edited by MikeG35Coupe; 12-16-2022 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-16-2022, 06:00 PM
Base model G35
Originally Posted by MikeG35Coupe
You don't need anything special to reprogram just the key fob. https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...e-key-fob.html

By the way, I don't think it's clear in that thread but the procedure supposedly wipes out all existing key fobs. So if you have more than one key fob you need to re-program them all together.
I've tried that method before, but somehow right after the step of inserting the key six times, nothing happened.

Old 12-16-2022, 06:36 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,469 Likes on 2,161 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Just to verify you have the 2006 coupe with the intelligent key system that has a little **** on the column you twist to start the car and not the one with the start button on the dash yes?

If so then yes you need the dealership to program it, the 2006-2007 coupe intelligent key system was very uncommon and I'm not sure if you will be able to find a local locksmith to program it but you could always call around to see.

The reason they told you it might not work is you brought in a piece of used equipment and it's their disclaimer that the equipment might not function. If it came from a known working 2006-2007 coupe iKey system then it WILL work on your car with programming.

Keep in mind the KBRTN001 came in both 3 button and 4 button configurations, the G35 one is the 4 button I think because it has the trunk release on it as well.

Old 12-16-2022, 06:38 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Ohh and I strongly recommend putting fresh batteries into both fobs before you go in to Nissan. Otherwise you might actually have a dead battery which would prevent them from successfully programming and I doubt they would try to swap the batteries to troubleshoot...

Old 12-16-2022, 06:41 PM
Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts
One owner 2004 G35 Coupe 6MT
It wasn't clear what year car the OP had, just that they had a key from an 06. It'd be helpful to add the year to the bio instead of just "Base model G35". I should have looked up the key part number though, that would have made it clear.

Old 12-16-2022, 06:46 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Yeah if you have THIS fob you can program it yourself, this isn't the KBRTN fob though, and you can't just take a KBRTN fob and program it to work on a non-iKey G35.

The following 2 users liked this post by cleric670:
Scottwax (12-30-2022), Urbanengineer (12-17-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 05:43 PM
Base model G35
Originally Posted by cleric670
Just to verify you have the 2006 coupe with the intelligent key system that has a little **** on the column you twist to start the car and not the one with the start button on the dash yes?
If so then yes you need the dealership to program it, the 2006-2007 coupe intelligent key system was very uncommon and I'm not sure if you will be able to find a local locksmith to program it but you could always call around to see.
The reason they told you it might not work is you brought in a piece of used equipment and it's their disclaimer that the equipment might not function. If it came from a known working 2006-2007 coupe iKey system then it WILL work on your car with programming.
Keep in mind the KBRTN001 came in both 3 button and 4 button configurations, the G35 one is the 4 button I think because it has the trunk release on it as well.
Ya, mine (2005 G35 Sedan) is the one with the **** that I need to turn to start the car. Ahh, then I wonder why the dude is "scaring" me by saying a customer brought in three keyfobs and they all failed and specifically mention about master or slave of the key fob to the original car.
Both my current key fob and used one are four buttons KBRTN001, yup it is for the trunk release. If it is definitely will work, then that will save me a lot of money lol.

Originally Posted by MikeG35Coupe
It wasn't clear what year car the OP had, just that they had a key from an 06. It'd be helpful to add the year to the bio instead of just "Base model G35". I should have looked up the key part number though, that would have made it clear.
Ahh sorry I forgot to clarify whats the year and model of my car.

Old 12-19-2022, 11:37 AM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Well the 2005/6-2007 iKey fob LOOKS identical to the 2007+ newer iKey fob but doesn't use the same communication you can definitely verify by which FCC ID number they have though. Even aftermarket ones will use those same FCC ID numbers.

non-iKey with trunk release - KBRASTU15

2005-2007 early model iKey with the twist **** on column - KBRTN001

2007 - 2015 (and maybe newer) iKey with the push button on dash - KR55WK48903

The older fob is crazy expensive, the newer fob is crazy cheap (I think it's the same fob used until around 2015 Nissan/Infiniti cars when they switched to the more geometric top), the customer probably bought the newer style which literally looks identical iirc and they couldn't be programmed because it uses a different frequency to talk to the car.

There are also some specialty ones that look the same but aren't, GTR, Maxima, FX, etc all have 4 button variants but those are different FCC ID part numbers and will not work.

Old 12-19-2022, 11:06 PM
Base model G35
Well the 2005/6-2007 iKey fob LOOKS identical to the 2007+ newer iKey fob but doesn't use the same communication you can definitely verify by which FCC ID number they have though. Even aftermarket ones will use those same FCC ID numbers.

The older fob is crazy expensive, the newer fob is crazy cheap (I think it's the same fob used until around 2015 Nissan/Infiniti cars when they switched to the more geometric top), the customer probably bought the newer style which literally looks identical iirc and they couldn't be programmed because it uses a different frequency to talk to the car.

There are also some specialty ones that look the same but aren't, GTR, Maxima, FX, etc all have 4 button variants but those are different FCC ID part numbers and will not work.
Ahh, then thats easy lol. It just hit me that he didn't even checked my key fob FCC ID and simply say it might not work. Really sucks that this generation of G35 sedan seems like the least cared in the dealership and aftermarket.

Old 12-20-2022, 02:56 AM
Base model G35
oh ya, forgot to ask, about the emergency key, there is nothing smart about it right? I can simply get a blank one and have a lock smith cut it?

Old 12-20-2022, 07:22 PM
Base model G35

Just called them today and they scare me even more by saying even when they try to program with brand new keys, it might not work. It might costs them multiple keys to have a successful one. I wonder are they BS me into buying their brand new key fob. I've even took apart both key fob to check the PCB, the IC are the same model, but the RF transmitter chip has different model numbers.
Should I simply ignore what they say and go ahead? Still worry I might ended up wasting $140 for nothing...

Old 12-28-2022, 12:11 PM
Base model G35

Hey, just want to see if you are definitely sure that it will work? The dealership I talked to simply kept on insisting that it might not work and couldn't tell exactly why...

Old 02-05-2023, 04:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it looks like I am talking to the right people. I see these posts are 6 years old. so i don't know if anyone is still active to help. but I have an early 2007 coup and there is no programing port left lower of steering wheel to program new key. does that mean all the 2007 key programmers on amazon will not work with the early 2007?
Amazon Amazon

Dorman 99159 Keyless Entry Remote 4 Button Compatible

Old 02-06-2023, 02:07 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
The diagnostic OBD2 port is there somewhere, it might have a broken bracket and someone may have tucked it up under the dash but I guarantee it's there somewhere. It's aimed straight at the floorboards, it's not visible from just sitting in the seat, you need to actually put your head down in the footwell and look up to find it or feel around with your hand.

Just to verify you do have the keyless start system on your car correct?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Used key fob reprogramming