G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35x vs Legacy GT ltd

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 10:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35x vs Legacy GT ltd

I've narrowed my choice down to these two. The G35x with premium will run me about 34,800 and the Legacy GT ltd about 28,000.

The Infiniti obviously has more luxurious features: Rear AC vents for the back, reclining back seats, better stereo (though I've heard some on this board complain they don't like the Bose), better warranty, nicer seats.

Performance numbers are similiar and both get very good reviews. I plan to buy an automatic (wife doesn't drive stick.)

There's no doubt the Infiniti is more luxurious (though Subaru has dramatically improved their interiors). Obviously, everyone on the Sub board is of one opinion.

The question I have is, for nearly $7,000 more, should I go with the Infiniti anyway??? Obviously, everyone on this board will say yes, but what are your reasons?

Old 03-14-2005, 10:49 PM
Former G35 Driver
The Legacy doesn't have HID headlights and does not have Navigation.
Both have lots of modding potential. Have you test driven both?

Old 03-14-2005, 10:54 PM
I personally beleive that you should pay extra for a quality product. Yes the Legacy GT is probally a good car but with the "G" you get performance and luxury. I really don't see to many Legacy GT's around were I live so I could be bias to the "G" because I own one. Either way good luck on the search.

Old 03-14-2005, 10:56 PM
I'd probably skip the Nav

A nice feature to be sure, but I probably can't afford the Nav package.
HIDs are nice. But I've heard people on this board complain that the G's HIDs are kind of weak. The stock lights on the Legacy are actually superb for Halogens.

Old 03-14-2005, 11:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd rather drive the G35.

But honestly, with a $7k price difference, I would pick the Legacy.

The 250hp turbo is super fast and the interior is top notch. The car is an excellent value.

Old 03-14-2005, 11:20 PM
Go here http://www.legacygt.com/, & as far as I understand the Legacy GT Ltd. Comes with more standard features then the G35. Like the rear A/C vents. So with that said check here http://www.subaru.com/shop/specifica...DAN&category=*.

Last edited by Ippo; 03-14-2005 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:27 PM
The Legacy GT Ltd. Is just a little smaller inside compared to the G35. I did not get it because I wanted it only in manual and my wife did not.

Old 03-14-2005, 11:33 PM
I own both Infiniti and Subaru, they're both well made cars but I think you'll find them to be different in more ways than an "equipment list" would lead you to believe.

The G35X has an extremely well developed chassis and lends a driving experience that is not likely to be equaled by the Legacy. The Infiniti web site summarizes the handling benefits nicely on this page http://www.infiniti.com/content/0,,c...-32005,00.html.

What else do you get for the extra $5-$7k? A luxury dealer network, roadside assistance, and guaranteed loaners. A better warranty and safety features like brake assist, traction control, and stability control. Standard luxury features such as a Bose stereo with powered subwoofer and mp3, standard air filtration, and intelligent key technology.

Subjective but no less compelling to many owners are the issues of power and styling. The VQ35 is an engine that is almost as well known for it's reliability and performance as the G35 is for it's handling. Some folks just think that a strong V-6 is a better bet for reliability than the turbo 4. I happen to think the G35 sedan is a more pleasing style than the Legacy. Look at how the rear doors contain all the window glass. Look at the flowing lines of each panel, the flare of the fenders, the graceful shape of the trunk lid and the aluminum hood. The floating glass of the rear windscreen and chrome bright points can't be found on the Legacy. All these details add up to a more refined package and must be seen (and carefully examined) to be fully appreciated. You simply can't get this from a spec comparator that lists details like gross weights and legroom.

Good luck. If you do choose the G35 you’ll find this web site just one more benefit of driving the Infiniti.

Old 03-15-2005, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by calejohnson
I own both Infiniti and Subaru, they're both well made cars but I think you'll find them to be different in more ways than an "equipment list" would lead you to believe.

The G35X has an extremely well developed chassis and lends a driving experience that is not likely to be equaled by the Legacy. The Infiniti web site summarizes the handling benefits nicely on this page http://www.infiniti.com/content/0,,c...-32005,00.html.

What else do you get for the extra $5-$7k? A luxury dealer network, roadside assistance, and guaranteed loaners. A better warranty and safety features like brake assist, traction control, and stability control. Standard luxury features such as a Bose stereo with powered subwoofer and mp3, standard air filtration, and intelligent key technology.

Subjective but no less compelling to many owners are the issues of power and styling. The VQ35 is an engine that is almost as well known for it's reliability and performance as the G35 is for it's handling. Some folks just think that a strong V-6 is a better bet for reliability than the turbo 4. I happen to think the G35 sedan is a more pleasing style than the Legacy. Look at how the rear doors contain all the window glass. Look at the flowing lines of each panel, the flare of the fenders, the graceful shape of the trunk lid and the aluminum hood. The floating glass of the rear windscreen and chrome bright points can't be found on the Legacy. All these details add up to a more refined package and must be seen (and carefully examined) to be fully appreciated. You simply can't get this from a spec comparator that lists details like gross weights and legroom.

Good luck. If you do choose the G35 you’ll find this web site just one more benefit of driving the Infiniti.
You do not have school me on the vehicle dynamics of the G35 or the legacy. I have driven both. I spent several months researching each vehicle, among others. I gave an objective response to his original post & corrected him. In no way do I believe the total of standard features, options, performance, warranties, & especially looks add up to the sum total of a car’s value. Hence my purchase of the G35, not because it is a better car but because of what best fit's my family’s need’s & me. Look’s are subjective & your entitled too them. The 2.5-Liter turbo in the Legacy (which is the same engine in the Sti) seemed to have a very smooth engine in it & was brute too.

Old 03-15-2005, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by DocCat
I've narrowed my choice down to these two. The G35x with premium will run me about 34,800 and the Legacy GT ltd about 28,000.

The Infiniti obviously has more luxurious features: Rear AC vents for the back, reclining back seats, better stereo (though I've heard some on this board complain they don't like the Bose), better warranty, nicer seats.

Performance numbers are similiar and both get very good reviews. I plan to buy an automatic (wife doesn't drive stick.)

There's no doubt the Infiniti is more luxurious (though Subaru has dramatically improved their interiors). Obviously, everyone on the Sub board is of one opinion.

The question I have is, for nearly $7,000 more, should I go with the Infiniti anyway??? Obviously, everyone on this board will say yes, but what are your reasons?
So choose based on the information that you have & choose the car that best fits you.

Old 03-15-2005, 12:29 AM
Ippo,

No offense meant. I hope none taken.

Cale

Old 03-15-2005, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by DocCat

You only go round once in life so do it right (if you can swing it.)

Old 03-15-2005, 08:26 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Ippo
Go here http://www.legacygt.com/, & as far as I understand the Legacy GT Ltd. Comes with more standard features then the G35. Like the rear A/C vents. So with that said check here http://www.subaru.com/shop/specifica...DAN&category=*.
The 05s with Premium C have adjustable rear air vents...

Old 03-15-2005, 08:34 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
For me it was easy. I looked at the Sube during this recent car purchase.

I didn't want a turbo.

I didn't want a 4 cyl.

The Legacy was a nice car, but I thought it was little overpriced (the one I was looking at was closer to $30K). The difference in price between what I was looking at in my G and what they wanted for the Sube wasn't as great as what you're looking at ($7K), but for me it wouldn't have mattered.

My target was strong V-6 with rear wheel drive. All wheel drive is nice, but not really useful where I live... I'm not worried about 4000RPM launches and such..

Good luck on your choice..

Last edited by GeeWillikers; 03-15-2005 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:20 AM
I've looked into the Legacy GT wagon and it looks like a great deal. You get a healthy turbo 4, AWD, and plenty of options for well under $30k. The only thing I would be concern about is how well a turbo motor holds up. It's going to be more stressed than the larger G's V6. Resell value also factors in.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35x vs Legacy GT ltd