G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35x vs Legacy GT ltd

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is with this consensus on turbo 4’s reliability? The one in question is the same engine in the USDM Sti. It is a good engine & if you actually talked to Evo, Sti, legacy, or even VW owners instead of seeing one or two cases of some kind of malfunction, one of which I have never seen unless someone did something stupid at which point it is owner error & not vehicle reliability. You could really learn a lot. There were tranny issues on earlier Wrx’s (not including the Sti version), thing’s like this should be taken into account. If a car is built solid like the Evo, Sti, legacy, or VW, it should last long if you take care of it. It goes for N/A cars as well. There are still guy’s running around in turbo Supra’s, GT-R’s, & Evo III’s all across the globe. If you take care of them, they will last. If you mod your car, any car N/A of FI be prepared to pay for the bill. Because if you do not change everything that goes along with it you could have issues. If you keep either, type of car stock or not yet take care of it than it will last. If you want to’ play you have to pay.

Old 03-15-2005, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
The 05s with Premium C have adjustable rear air vents...
You have to pay $3500 for something that comes standard on the Legacy. Which start’s at $28,595.

Old 03-15-2005, 12:24 PM
It's still a legacy and you know it when the door clinks shut

Old 03-15-2005, 12:34 PM
Other than the interior differences which have been gone over many times and the 6 vs turbo issue, which you seem to have resolved, the biggest difference between the two would be the front wheel bias and "all the time" AWD of the Legacy vs the rear wheel bias and electronic slip detection of the G. I used to have a Legacy (not a turbo) and the front wheel bias does significantly affect the drive characteristics of the Subarus, IMO. Easy decision for me...

Old 03-15-2005, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by LuckyR
Other than the interior differences which have been gone over many times and the 6 vs turbo issue, which you seem to have resolved, the biggest difference between the two would be the front wheel bias and "all the time" AWD of the Legacy vs the rear wheel bias and electronic slip detection of the G. I used to have a Legacy (not a turbo) and the front wheel bias does significantly affect the drive characteristics of the Subarus, IMO. Easy decision for me...
Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive (AWD) Continuous AWD: Models equipped with 5-speed manual transmission utilize a viscous-type locking differential with torque distribution configured at a 50/50-split front-to-rear. 2.5 GT models also feature a viscous-type limited-slip rear differential.
Variable Torque Distribution (VDT) AWD: Models equipped with 5-speed automatic transmission utilize an electronically controlled variable transfer clutch in conjuction with a planetary-type center differential. Rear-wheel-biased torque distribution normally configured at 45/55-split front-to-rear. 2.5 GT models also feature a viscous-type limited-slip rear differential.

Old 03-15-2005, 12:40 PM
As you quoted the Suby is going to be in AWD all the time, which is fine, I suppose, I prefer RWD for the 90something% of the time when I'm not slipping. 45/55 is very different than 0/100...

Old 03-15-2005, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by LuckyR
As you quoted the Suby is going to be in AWD all the time, which is fine, I suppose, I prefer RWD for the 90something% of the time when I'm not slipping. 45/55 is very different than 0/100...
Just correcting your error.

Old 03-15-2005, 12:48 PM
Talking

I am a current owner of a Subaru WRX, soon to be traded for a G35 6mt. I loved the WRX power and handling, but force feeding an engine has some drawbacks.

If you buy the auto trans the turbo lag issue will not be as significant as it has been with my manual WRX. Getting across an intersection with 4 adults and the AC on is still a real adventure. I test drove the Legacy and it doesn't suffer from a much lag as the WRX but it is still there.

The other issue is engine life. My car has 46,500 miles on it and has had the oil changed every 3000 miles. I have been running synthetic blend since the car had 9000 miles on it. Every morning when I start the car the engine rattles like a can full of marbles until it is up to operating temperature. I understand that the Subaru engines are known for piston slap and it is not supposed to be a big problem, but it sounds scary to me.

Just me two cents worth.

Last edited by sweetdaddy; 03-15-2005 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:55 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Ippo
You have to pay $3500 for something that comes standard on the Legacy. Which start’s at $28,595.
**YAWN**

For your $3500 you get much more than air vents in the rear passenger compartment and I know you're aware of this. Why you make a comment like the one above is beyond me, but okay. The MSRP of the Sube is of no concern - the car couldn't compete with the G, for ME, at any price. As previously stated I was looking for a strong V6 RWD Sedan.

I mentioned Premium C and inclusion of the air vents because he stated the G35X he was looking had the Premium Package. No other reason.

Old 03-15-2005, 03:26 PM
I am in a similar dilemma. For me, I tended away from the GT to the Outback XT because of the the more subdued looks, but I think my comments are transferrable.

The G35 6MT rides a too rough and loud for a sedan let alone a luxury one. There's no reason why it should be so unrefined; and no, I do not believe that the handling prowess of a G35 6MT warrants such a ride. The Outback XT had a superior ride and very little road noise for a very good handling experience. Is it 80% or 90% of the G35's performance? I'm not sure but it's up there and more than suffiecient for my needs. I think the turbo 4 will be fine, though probably not good for 200k, but a least equal or better than the 3.5.

I also prefer the Outback interior. The G35 interior is a tad too off kilter; like a strange mix between retro and futuristic styling. I'm not partial to either car's exterior styling. The three main issues I have regarding the Outback is rear seat space, no 6 speed tranny and the mechanical thrashing of flat motors.

Old 03-15-2005, 05:18 PM
Lip
I actually, had to make this choice. My old car is a 2002 Passat V6- So I wanted more power first and foremost. Additionally, I wanted AWD. And finally, I wanted a car whose electronics were sorted and whose dealer support exceeded VWs offerings.

I looked seriously at the following cars:
Sube Legacy
Audi A4
Infiniti G

The Legacy Gt LTD is a really nice ride. Handles and goes well. I also really like the new model's looks, and interior improvements. The power was great.
You would do well in purchasing this car.
I didn't like the lack of HIDs, the lack of MP3 in any form, the lack of sat radio as an option, and finally the frameless windows.
Those are options I personally would have to add, and I was actually ready to do it.

The Audi A4 2.0t quattro was obviously beautiful, offered decent power and all of the dash stroker stuff I like. However, equip it with the Premium package and it got pricey quick. Add features like Sat radio, xenons on top of that, and it was almost in M35 territory. Then add on top of that the issues I had with my VW, and I started running.

I went to test the 2005 G35x just for fun. Actually, I liked the older version, but expected more from the interior. The driving dynamics rock. I even enjoy driving this car slow. However, overall, this car had the most power throughout the rev range, and the sound it makes is awesome. I also really like the steering the X model.
After seeing all of the features, the warranty, and my dealer was very professional, I was sold.
I picked one up just over a week ago, and I'm very happy with my decision.
Complaints?
The stereo in it's display and controls is a bit on the cheap side for this type of car. The HIDs could be better, and the hi-beams are weak.
The G35x also comes with smaller brakes than the Sport model and I think the car is a bit undertired from factory. The later will be fixed with an upgrade to 18s in the future, for summer driving.

Driving dynamics of both the Sube and Infiniti were exceptional, at least at the under $40k pricepoint. My Passat had suspension and sticky tire and it offered zero steering feel, but more grip than all three of the above, and also rode like crap. That being said, the Infiniti is rear drive before being AWD and that was also a major factor for me.

I think if you buy the Sube, you'll save some dough and have a great car. Plus, I think the Sube is the better looking car of the two.
The www.legacygt.com support site is great.
If you go with the infiniti, you'll get what you pay for. A bit more car, to be honest, maybe the differences are small, but you can feel them. Plus the dealer support is really pretty nice and shouldn't be underestimated.
The G is a distinctive looking car, I think the new rear end jobby is not as clean as the original. However, the extra power and revised interior is obviously an improvement.

Good luck, and sorry for the long post.

Last edited by Lip; 03-15-2005 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:18 PM
In trying to find a replacement for my Maxima, the new Legacy GT definitely made the short list, along with the Mazda 6 as well. Tremendous bang for the buck, and if you need AWD for snow reasons, I can tell you my last ski weekend in Lake Tahoe definitely revealed the Subes to be the car of choice.

This Legacy/G35 argument reminds me of the G35/3-series arguments from 3 years ago when the G first arrived. Great bang for $$ factor, fun to drive, probably a little less refined in some areas, but is it a $7000 difference? Probably not ... so to each his own. In my case, I didn't want to walk around constantly "selling" my subaru decision to those who might only think it's a boy racer brand, and I couldn't possibly be happier with my G.

Goodluck with a fun choice a lot of us have had ...

Old 03-15-2005, 05:49 PM
I think the Legacy GT is ugly.

Old 03-15-2005, 06:56 PM
I considered both the legacy and outback XT before I got my G35. I thought the engine was responsive and the ride was good, the suspension was a little soft for me. There was no room in the back, of the subarus, and I got a little more in the G.
Subarus service is dicey at best and if you plan to modd your car even a little you might as well throw your warrenty out the door. I have had nothing but great service while my G, and have friends who own outbacks, wrxs and none of them were satified with their service department.
If the ride was "rough" you might consider to find one without the sports package, but IMHO I just found the G to be a better built car and had everything I wanted out of a car.

One of the big things that sold me to the G was I wasn't going to have to put premium gas in it everytime I filled up.

Old 03-15-2005, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by G-Pimp
I think the Legacy GT is ugly.
Agreed, very plain and booring, but to each their own.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35x vs Legacy GT ltd