G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Flying aluminum cans

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 09:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying aluminum cans

OK... so I got the G home Tuesday after picking it up. Took it in to work yesterday, dropped it off for a great 3M clearbra and 27% window tint. On my way home (about 17 miles; mostly highway) I am in the left lane going up a hill at about 75 (the speed limit at this stretch). With the fresh bra I am well behind the cars in front of me. Start seeing brakelights and have no idea why. Slow down a little, and start seeing some debris ahead. Get a little closer and realize there are flattened aluminum cans that are flying out of a pickup truck. They are bouncing head on towards traffic and look like Chinese stars flying through the air. There is a good 10' of extra road to the left of the left lane, so as the cans start approaching I am weaving back and forth to miss them. After missing 5 or 6 that would have certainly hit me, I briefly think "this is fun and this car handles great!"... then two are coming from different spots. One towards my windshield and one lower and towards the body. I decide to protect the paint, swerve left and watch the other can smack right off the windshield. Really a wierd feeling. Anyways, it was very loud and I thought there would be a crack or big chip, but there is only a small scratch. Very lucky to escape mostly unscathed. After I was through, I watched in the rearview as most cars just drove straight and got pelted. Figures that in 15 years of driving I have never had anything like that happen, and then it occurs on the second day I have my nicest new car

Old 03-17-2005, 01:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate pickup trucks

Old 03-17-2005, 04:37 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Freaking aluminum cans. I took one in the lower part of the front fascia in my Maxima and it gouged the bumper all the way through the paint and primer. It was the only really nasty ding I had on the car. I'm sure it looked worse to me than it did to anyone else.

Car was driving in front of me and flipped it up off the roadway. It was bouncing down the centerline and at the last instant took a hard turn into my lane. I wasn't quick enough to miss it completely. I thought it was going to settle and at the last second here it comes....

I was steamed. It was my own fault, when I saw it I should have slowed to be sure but I thought I called its path correctly. WRONG... Still pisses me off.. hehe..

Old 03-17-2005, 04:49 PM
yet, another good reason to get rid of the five cent deposit on beer cans.

Old 03-17-2005, 05:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Flying bloody squirrel

I've been driving for 12 years, and within one week of picking up my new G35, I've managed to be hit in the windshield by a piece of bloody road kill (looked like a squirrel) that the car in front of me ran over. Got home & had to wipe the blood off. Then a day or two after, my front fender was hit by a piece of rubber from a tractor trailer retread...thank got it only put a minor gash in the fender......and I rubbed the rubber mark off w/ my finger. Anyone else have a story?

Old 03-17-2005, 07:22 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by XcarGO
yet, another good reason to get rid of the five cent deposit on beer cans.
On the contrary, if we had a tax on beer cans down here the rednecks would be less likely to throw them in the street.

Old 03-17-2005, 07:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jimmyc13
I've been driving for 12 years, and within one week of picking up my new G35, I've managed to be hit in the windshield by a piece of bloody road kill (looked like a squirrel) that the car in front of me ran over.
LoL THAT IS HILARIOUSE!!!

Old 03-18-2005, 12:27 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
After you dodged the first 2-3, did you think of dropping back--reducing your speed--seems to be the logical thing to do, rather than make a game out of it.

Old 03-18-2005, 03:17 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Sedan
Originally Posted by Texan1
After you dodged the first 2-3, did you think of dropping back--reducing your speed--seems to be the logical thing to do, rather than make a game out of it.
If he would of weaved into someone it would of been his fault. I'm glad no one was hurt.

Old 03-18-2005, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by Texan1
I guess my post did make it sound like a bit of a game. Honestly, the cans were approaching so fast that I could have stopped in the road and they still would have come towards me. I was pretty pleased to not have let any hit the body, and luckily the can that did hit did minimal damage. On the way home last night I could see numerous leftovers that had not been cleaned up against the concrete barrier.

Old 03-19-2005, 02:29 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
I see. It just seemed that you could have dropped your speed ( not emergency braking to a complete stop), but slowed down. By your post it seemed that you chose to stay behind the truck to "play the game," but I guess, as you say--it was unavoidable.