G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Heading out to look at a G35x tomorrow......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heading out to look at a G35x tomorrow......

I'm considering a G35X, and I'll be looking at one on Saturday... I have an odd question for any board members with young children:

Does anyone use a rear-facing, laydown babyseat in their G35?
How well does it fit? (IE is the front seat pushed up too far?) got Pics?

I appreciate any comments or pics.

FYI, I'm in a VW GTI 1.8t at the moment, Quick car, but space is just... nonexistant. Of course the first thing to go when you have a kid is the
"toy car"....

Last edited by PORK; 03-25-2005 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:07 PM
Why not bring the car seat with you to see if it fits? Usually those type fit best in the center of the back seat (its a great day when the rear facing seat can be turned forward). At least LATCH technology now makes installation much less difficult.
FYI, the Infiniti site has a child seat safety section which suggests specific seats which fit well in each car model Try this link http://www.infiniti.com/content/0,,a...sctid-52052,00

Old 03-25-2005, 11:34 PM
It's a little tight

We have a six-week old little girl who travels in a Graco SnugRide rear-facing infant seat. Unless you or your passenger are under five feet tall, there's no way you're fitting a carrier like this behind the driver's or passenger's seat. Which isn't a bad thing, since the center rear is where you want her anyway.

The G35 has LATCH anchors for the outer rear seats, but Infiniti failed to include inboard anchors for the center rear. While you can physically attach a LATCH-equipped seat to the center using the left/right inboard anchors, Infiniti specifically warns against doing so in the Owner's Manual. I did quite a bit of research as to why -- this is common and in my smallish mind, stupid -- and the reason seems to be space, or lack thereof, and lawyers. Government regulations require the LATCH anchors for a given child seat to be exactly 11 inches apart, and most cars (not SUVs, though) are too narrow to fit three sets in there. So instead of getting one in the middle, a location that is way too obvious and handy for an engineer to use, we get two outside that are useless for rear-facing infant seats. Yeah, they're usable later for forward-facing seats, but until then you're out of luck.

Thus, my wife and I attached our SnugRide bases using the center rear seatbelt as recommended by Infiniti and Graco. I went ahead and doubled-up in my car, using the inboard LATCH anchors as well. I despise lawyers. (My wife's G20 doesn't have them. LATCH anchors, not lawyers. I would have given it back had I found one in the trunk as standard equipment. A lawyer that is.)

Space-wise, it's a tight fit in either car. Surprisingly (almost laughably so), my wife's teeny G20 has a little more fore-and-aft space back there for the carrier. I'm 6'0" and 175 pounds, and in both cars I've had to scrunch the front seat up a little more than I'm used to so the carrier won't rub against the back of the front seats. (I like to drive in the classic Italian arms-out posture even though I don't know a rigatoni from a Fruit Loop.) But it's okay. My wife is 5'6" and fits fine with the carseat.

Bottom line: The G35 works fine for a single rear-facing infant seat if you're not much taller than 6'1" or 6'2", at least as far as the SnugRide is concerned. But you'll have to mount it in the center rear, and you'll have to use the shoulder belt as your primary anchor.

Old 03-25-2005, 11:50 PM
We also use the Snugride - and we're both short. Thank you both for the input.

Old 03-26-2005, 10:24 AM
I've had the same experience as JKWright. The Sungride works fine, but you will likely have to pull whatever seat it's behind (if you connect it on one or the other side instead of the center) up a bit.

I think the challenge will come when my daughter outgrows the Sungride and we have to put a convertible seat in rear-facing. Those things are generally huge (we like Britax, which are even bigger than normal). Even in our Mazda MPV when my son was in a rear-facing convertible the front seat needed to move forward a bit. I'm sure it would be tight in the G (I didn't have my G back then so I can't comment). At least it's only for a few months (between when they outgrow the Sungride and turn 1 AND weigh 20lbs. or more).

Anyway, good luck! Overall the our G35x has been a great car to run the kids around in.