AWD fuse???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking AWD fuse???

Hello All,

This may be a dumb question, but...

Has anyone tried pulling the ATTESSA fuse to run their G35X as a RWD car? Does it work? Any problems?

Thanks,

Tony

Old 03-26-2005, 05:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why would you want to? I have an X and it is a heck of alot of fun tossing it around corners. THe rear end starts to slide and then the front catches it and pulls you through. The car also 4 wheel drifts nice too.

Old 03-26-2005, 06:20 PM
im not sure if that would work. i have gotten my awd to become disengaged before. i was doing donuts in the snow for about 30 seconds and the awd light started to flash. the car remained rear wheel drive until i turned off ignition and turned it back on. not sure if that means anything but it sounds like there is something electrical that could be done to turn it off.

Old 03-26-2005, 07:28 PM
why?

I was asking out of curiosity more than anything else...

But there may be times when RWD is beneficial (some power oversteer to rotate the car may help at a track event, for example).

Tony

Old 03-26-2005, 08:14 PM
That question was posed back in January, somebody wanted to disable his AWD so that he could run his G35X on a Dyno. I don't know if that question was ever answered. It would be interesting to know if during the summer months the AWD could be disabled to possibly give better gas mileage and to save wear and tear in the AWD system.

Old 03-27-2005, 09:03 AM
If you read the many articles written about the G35X, you will read that in the dry, the car is RWD. Only when the rear tires encounter slip does the AWD come into play. Personally, I like the way the car feels when pushed hard in the corners. IMO, the AWD does not have any negative effects on the way the car corners. It jind of reminds me of when Audis were banned in touring car racing because of the "unfair advantage" the cars had with the AWD.

Old 03-27-2005, 10:25 AM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
RichK is absolutely right....The AWD is RWD until it detects slippage. Remember...one of the selling points that made ya buy the X?

Old 03-27-2005, 09:26 PM
Yes, I know how the AWD system works. But there may be times when I want more slippage than the computer, eh, deems appropriate .

I bought the X because I'm tired of "one car for all purposes". My last few cars have been tuned to be fast, but were consequently less comfortable for every day use, especially when stuck in commuter traffic. So, I decided to give up some speed, and get a comfortable, inexpensive every-day car, as long as it still somewhat sporty and capable in all weather conditions. (I'm not a fan of trucks, SUV's, or winter beaters). And then I want a "toy" car for occasional street driving and track events that has enough horsepower to be fun.

But until I get the toy car, some power oversteer in the daily driver might be entertaining every now and then!

Tony

Old 03-27-2005, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by tonyplat
So, I decided to give up some speed, and get a comfortable, inexpensive every-day car...
Obviously I'm showing my middle-class roots here, but if a $35K premium sports sedan (albeit an entry-level one) is "inexpensive" in your eyes, what's a Taurus look like?

Wait. Lemme answer for you: "The maid's car."

Hello class schism, Internet forum-style 2005.

Old 03-27-2005, 10:30 PM
Er,

"Relatively" inexpensive car???

I want a new, $10,000 car with $500 hp and a warranty, but things don't seem to be going that way.

My last car was an Audi S4, which I chipped, added a trick suspension to, ... It was great; fast enough to be entertaining, all weather capable, etc. All was good. And I drove a new one, which was also great, and would have been a logical next car. But it's $50K+, that's beyond my comfort threshold to take to a track and ball up if I lose it.

So instead, I waited until the '05's came out, and they were offering great deals on left over '04 X's before I grabbed one. Now I'll be able to rationalize a $15-20K toy car. I'm sure I'll still cry if I write it off, but hopefully not as hard. I'll be more comfortable stuck in traffic, and more comfortable about what I'm risking at the track.

And no, no maids or gardeners; my wife and I do that stuff, and we both work. So we can pay our bills, put our kid through college, and hopefully have enough left over for that toy car!

Tony

Old 03-30-2005, 12:07 PM
I tried it...

Well, I figured it was time I contribute some information instead of just asking for it, so I tried pulling the AWD fuse myself.

The short answer is it does work; you are effectively in RWD. After a few minutes, the AWD light comes on, but with the VDC off, you definitely get some rear wheelspin.

That said, I doubt it would be effective in car control terms, because the throttle response seems to be off. Full throttle seems normal, but part-throttle isn't as progressive as normal, so it would be more difficult to control at 10/10ths on a track, for example.

So I guess the upshot is, live with / learn to drive around the handling limitations of the car as it is.

Tony

Old 03-30-2005, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by RichK
If you read the many articles written about the G35X, you will read that in the dry, the car is RWD. Only when the rear tires encounter slip does the AWD come into play. Personally, I like the way the car feels when pushed hard in the corners. IMO, the AWD does not have any negative effects on the way the car corners. It jind of reminds me of when Audis were banned in touring car racing because of the "unfair advantage" the cars had with the AWD.
i always thought that was the case but i dont think that is completely true. when i had my car on a dyno recently as soon as you hit the gas without the rear tires slipping all 4 wheels turned at once and at the same speed. seems more like its an all-time all wheel drive set up than a rwd car that becomes awd when rear tires slip.