G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Shifting Between Neutral and Drive: Is This Okay?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 10:43 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Sedan
Originally Posted by fotodad
It is wasteful thinking such as yours which helps feed the gluttonous American society we now live in.
Oh, get off your high horse. If you were really concerned you wouldn't have bought a G.

BTW, I'm with everyone else, coasting is just asking for trouble.

Old 05-20-2005, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fotodad,

Your savings on the off ramps in gas in neutral must be unmeasurable. A ramp is about how long-500-1000 feet? (I'm guessing). 1000 ft= 1/4 mile. You wouldn't be in neutral the whole time and you'd use some gas even in idle and some more when the driveline engaged. I'm not up to the calculations, but it doesn't seem like there is a measurable amount to save in a car like this. I think $2 a week is grossly optimistic-I'd guess maybe 10-20 cents and that is probably high.

To me the risk is not worth it (as outlined in my earlier post). One emergency shift to reverse at 30-40 mph is one too many.

Old 05-20-2005, 11:44 AM
Andy 77: My father taught me to put it in neutral at a stop light, in case of being hit from behind, especially in a MT where if your foot were on the clutch it might be knocked off and if you were in gear you would lurch forward into the pedestrian or car crossing in front of you. I do this with the AT too
That makes no sense, if you were in gear, your foot would also be on the brake. If you got hit and lost control, you would lurch forward, but the car would stall out (in 1st gear) and stop moving forward.

If you kept the car in neutral, and got rear-ended, the only thing keeping momentum from throwing you forward is your foot on the brake. If your foot slips, you slide through the pedestrian into traffic.

Just keep your car in gear, folks.

Better one than two, better them then you.

-T

Old 05-20-2005, 12:09 PM
"That makes no sense, if you were in gear, your foot would also be on the brake. If you got hit and lost control, you would lurch forward, but the car would stall out (in 1st gear) and stop moving forward."

If your foot stayed on the brake in the accident that would be good. If it slipped off and the clutch came up it would stall at some point but still go forward some before the stall, perhaps just forward enough to hit someone or something.

"If you kept the car in neutral, and got rear-ended, the only thing keeping momentum from throwing you forward is your foot on the brake. If your foot slips, you slide through the pedestrian into traffic."??? In any case, the brake is the only thing stopping you from going forward (other than the mass of your vehicle). The clutch would, as you note, lurch you forward-it would not stop you until after the forward motion. When I had a hand brake, rather than the foot brake I now have, I would sometimes put it on at a light, if it was a known long light-and keep my foot on the brake.

Old 05-20-2005, 12:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you foot is off the gas while your coasting in gear, doesn't it use the same amount it would if the car was in neutral and coasting?

Old 05-20-2005, 01:08 PM
Funny... 2 AT guys arguing if they should put their MT in gear at a stop light.

I still say, keep it in gear.

Old 05-20-2005, 01:11 PM
why are u so mad? i was just stating my opinion. and by the way it is not stupid. First off im def with ya on saving money when possible. I do not foolishy throw out money. But to go to the extent that you are is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. what is perplexing to me is why you feel the need to do that to save money as well as it not being good for the car. Everything that you spend on a daily basis can some how be cut down a bit or probably budgeted better. That goes for anyone. I just dont think the way you are going about it is really that effective. I said two dollars a week but is it even that? If u smoke and i dont know if you do but one pack less a week would save you more. If you frequent the bar alot you can really save on that. if you go out to eat everyday for lunch another great way to save by bringing lunch to work. Just ex of things that would prob save you way more money if you are trying to save. Would i like a 104 dollars sure. i dont think anyone is going to turn it down. Im sorry that it bothered you. i didnt mean to do that. I was just stating a difference in opinion. As everyones situation may be different maybe that 104 bucks is very important to you.

Old 05-20-2005, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by SoCalTed
Funny... 2 AT guys arguing if they should put their MT in gear at a stop light.

I still say, keep it in gear.
I'm sure you've had manuals in your life too. I've counted 11 cars that I've owned and 5 have have been manuals (none on the column for those old enough to remember them). Becasue I wanted AWD, the MT was not a consideration this time.

Old 05-20-2005, 02:53 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
To me, it is always common sense to put a manual in neutral while sitting at a light that takes more than 20 seconds. Either you guys don't know the inner workings of a manual tranny or you just have a lot of money to throw around, but keeping a manual tranny in gear with the clutch depressed does the following:

1) Stresses the pressure plate
2) Stresses the throw-out bearing
3) Stresses the hydraulic system (most Nissans have hydraulic clutches)
4) Fork
5) Clutch pedal spring

Why cause all this wear when sitting for long periods of time? It just doesn't make sense. Same goes for autos. If you're sitting at a long light, railroad crossing, gridlock traffic, put the car in neutral and engage the e-brake. It will give the tranny a break and run a little cooler.

As for coasting while driving, I wouldn't recommend it per the control issue. In D, at speeds below 50mph and with the foot off the accelerator, the G is only turning about 1300-1800rpms and no real load is being placed on the engine.

Like someone else said, adjust your driving style and you'll MPGs will go up. It will be hard though because the auto's accelerator pedal is almost too responsive because it barely takes any throttle to get to 40mph. The two 6MT's I test drove were far less jumpy and felt quite a bit slower simply because you had to give it a lot more throttle to achieve the same acceleration.

Old 05-20-2005, 03:41 PM
raises all-in
Originally Posted by PotomacG
Wrong wrong wrong! You have obviously never had an emergency situation. Reaction times change drastically based on too many factors to name. You simple don't have as much control of a vehicle coasting than you do in gear....period! Auto, Manual...it doesn't make any difference.
I've successfully dealt with many emergency driving situations. Again, there is no emergency situation that I can think of that would require me to accelerate, and even if there were, I could easily put it into gear. Give me one example.

I don't coast while cruising on the highway. I don't think anybody is saying they advocate doing that. The original poster was referring to situations where you're coming to a stop. If I'm exiting, I will leave it in gear on the offramp unless I need to minimize my rate of deceleration in order to get to where I need to stop without hitting the gas. In that case, I will leave it in neutral. Otherwise, I will leave it in whatever gear I'm in until I'm almost stopped then put it in neutral when I have to stop.

I don't understand people who are "engine-braking-happy". They get off the highway and downshift: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. What's the point? Leave it in one gear, hit the brake if you need to.

Old 09-18-2022, 12:11 PM
Loaded. Black
With engine running you should be ok.

Originally Posted by dirrtybear
Oops, I just realized he had an AT. I don't know what kind of wear or damage you could be doing by doing that, so I don't have an opinion.
​ I do not know about the G however many cars cannot be towed in neutral if the engine is not running. Something about the pump and circulation damages the transmission if the engine is not running

Old 09-20-2022, 09:09 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,473 Likes on 2,164 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
That wasn't what this thread was about, however you are correct you CANNOT flat tow the G35 unless you disconnect the driveshaft/s from the differential/s and suspend them under the vehicle. The oil pump is at the front of the 5AT transmission behind the torque converter and driven off the input shaft. It does not lubricate the internals when only the output shaft is spinning. Same applies to the 6MT in neutral since it's not picking up gear oil.

This isn't that difficult, yes the factory technically wants you to replace the flange bolts/nuts according to the FSM but I've removed a LOT of them and they have never measured different so they're not TTY bolts. Probably more of a shop insurance thing or something.

As for this thread, there's a lot of strange information in it, you're not hurting anything shifting the 5AT to neutral and coasting, however unless you're going REALLY FAST you're not gaining anything either so there isn't much of a point to it and if you're traveling that fast it's probably illegal and coasting that far you're probably riding the brakes to slow back down.

You should always shift to neutral at a stoplight in the 6MT solely to keep wear on your TO bearing to a minimum.

Shifting to neutral at a stoplight in a 5AT is pointless, you're barely pushing through the torque converter and not generating any sufficient heat that the stock cooling system can't handle.

Downshifting a 6MT except to engine brake downhill, or on a track to exit a corner in the right gear, is just adding extra wear onto your clutch. Just use the brakes and save your clutch. When you do have to downshift be sure to rev match your shift.

Same applies to the 5AT in MM mode, sure it's fun, but it is accelerating wear on the clutch packs, it should be used for upshifting, not downshifting unless your rpm is low.