G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Pros and cons of Sedan vs. AWD Sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 12:13 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Pros and cons of Sedan vs. AWD Sedan

Hi, I am just doing some research on the G35 and the G35x. I would like to get a G35 Sedan in the near future and eventually do some aftermarket on it. I live in Iowa, so the AWD seems to be the most practical (but the non-practical side of me wants to have a twin turbo sedan).

1. How do the aftermarkets compare between the two? Does the x have an aftermarket?

2. If the x has an aftermarket, is there any chance that something like the APS TT would work with it? (just looking for educated speculation).

Any other comments on this (or links to other threads, websites) would be apreciated. Really, any info about the differences between the sedan and the x sedan would be interesting to me. I would get an automatic, if that helps.

Thank you all in advance.

-mike

Old 05-25-2005, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deciding factor for me was the tranny. I wanted the 6sp manual, and the all-wheel drive doesn't have that as an option.

Old 05-25-2005, 05:06 PM
I have not modified mine (unless the rubber mats count), but from what I have seen here, the engines are the same, except that the exhaust system has some differences and some of the exhaust mods might not work. The 35x does not coem with a manual, but that is not of concern to yoou.

I like my 35x a lot. It was excellent in the winter and is fine in the rain. I would not hesitate to get it again.

Good luck.

Old 05-25-2005, 05:41 PM
As an X owner, I wish it came in a MT but I needed AWD so I was forced into the X. Do you really need the AWD in Iowa? Seems pretty flat there. There are at least a couple threads on various snow tires that others have claimed did great on RWD Gs.

Good luck.

Old 05-25-2005, 05:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mike,

you are limitied to some aftermarket parts on the x.

only recently stillen released an exhaust for the x. no dyno proven numbers yet.

headers fit, but are more difficult to install with the awd system.

the sway bars for the sedan dont fit the x.

the suspension on the x is different from the sedan, so no coilovers. however lowering it with springs is an option.

inorder to get the technosquare reflash the mad scientits in cali have to sned your chip to japan and it takes 2 weeks to get it back, as opposed to the rwd sedan reflash turnover that is a few days.

not sure if turbos could fit on the x. it would be interesting to see if they could. i know of only one blown x on here, "powerhousefan". hes got a stillen stage 2 supercharger and a pretty sweet custom quad borla exhaust.

and most importantly you just cant leave any rubber with the x, no matter how hard you push it.

if you want a modded twin turbo g35 sedan, get a rwd one.

-billy

Old 05-25-2005, 06:04 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I dont know that I need AWD, but Iowa can be snowy and if I bought a G it would be my main vehical, out and about all the time. I am sure I would be perfectly happy with a stock x.

However the performance upgrades could make things more exciting. I would be conservative as far as tuning and would just enjoy having somthing different than stock with more power for some weekend driving. I wouldnt race it or spin my tires.

So I guess I will just wait a little while and think about it and continue reading. I havent had much experiance working on cars, yet. The most impressive things i have done are rebuild a 300zx na engine and mess with my 3vzfe (V6 from a toyota camry) and paint a few cars with my garage HVLP paint booth.

Thanks for the info everyone.

-mike

Old 05-25-2005, 06:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nebraska/South Dakota is not Iowa, but I first learned to drive in those 2 states. If I lived in that climate, I would have waited for the X.

Here in Oklahoma, over the last 2 winters, I've only driven in slush once, on the highway, and AWD wouldn't have made any difference in this case.

I think, for piece of mind, if I were to buy a G35 or M35 in the future, I would go with AWD. It probably only takes one time to make you wish you had bought one. Especially since both are available now. When I bought the 2004, it was still 3 months before the intro of the X.

Old 05-25-2005, 07:47 PM
exactly

Originally Posted by maller
Deciding factor for me was the tranny. I wanted the 6sp manual, and the all-wheel drive doesn't have that as an option.
That's what make my decision. Live 6MT or die...

Old 05-26-2005, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by Konsole
I would be conservative as far as tuning and would just enjoy having somthing different than stock with more power for some weekend driving. I wouldnt race it or spin my tires.
Why mod it then...a TT G just to have something different? That is crazy.

Old 05-29-2005, 04:27 AM
mods are addictive...once you start , your hooked. lots of fun to be had.