G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Damaged Rim - The Prophecy Fulfilled

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 09:17 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Damaged Rim - The Prophecy Fulfilled

A while back I posted the OT thread - Plug or Patch - Opinion.

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...highlight=plug

I knew a patch was the proper, safe, CORRECT way to fix this ultra slow leak I had in my left rear, but I dreaded breaking the integrity of the tire/rim and letting the morons at the tire shop handle my wheel.

This morning I finally made time to get the work done and to absolutely minimize the risk of damage I pulled the tire myself in my driveway. After I pulled it, I washed it top to bottom and then polished the rim so there would be NO DOUBT as to the material condition of the wheel when I took it in.

When we got to the tire shop, I had the technician note on the work order that there was NO DAMAGE to the wheel and that it was in PERFECT condition. I told him about the LPWS and how delicate they were, and that if he damaged my wheel that I was going to choke the $hit out of people - starting with him.. I didn't use those words exactly, but pretty close.

I got the standard "don't worry" and "I'll put my best guy on it" and all the customary BS they reserve for their picky customers, and I sat down to wait.

I watched them break the wheel down, they it went off into some dark corner for the patch, then they built the tire back up and balanced it. Then it disappeared.

My counter guy came back in and I say "hey - I saw my wheel come off the balancer - where'd it go?" He says "lemme check.."

I watch him go out and lots of pointing and gesturing, then they go pick it off a rack in the back of the shop. I'm like WTF? Then they're looking at my wheel and the manager comes over, then they're rubbing it, then they break out a rag (from a back pocket) and start wiping it, then I lose it.

I come out and ask "is there a problem?" The shop manager says "yes, we have a problem.." I look at my wheel and somehow they've managed to trash the front AND rear of it. The front is scratched in two places at least 1/8 inch deep and an inch long, and the rear has a gouge with a rough edge that would cut your finger DEEP if you didn't know it was there. (thinking of washing...)

I say "you FOCKED up my wheel - after all my preparation and warning and precautions you STILL managed to dick it up..." He (the manager) says "we'll pay to repair it" and I say "no, you'll pay to replace it until it was like it was when I brought it in here." I was chapped like you read about - he paused, then said "okay. we'll buy you a new wheel."

So now I'm waiting on a wheel ($682 from my dealer in San Antonio) and to go through the process of getting my wheel mounted and balanced... All for a slow leak.

I should have gone with the plug in my driveway....

Old 05-28-2005, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear that.

Actually makes me sick to my stomach to think about...especially since i've got some balance problems up front and may want to replace my tires soon.

Old 05-28-2005, 10:15 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Thanks brudda.

When I pull the wheel (sitting in my spare compartment) I'll take pictures. It'll make you sick...

The manager said "I don't know what happened, maybe they dropped a tool on it..." I'm thinking that they would have had to have dropped the tire iron on it EDGE FIRST from TEN FEET to do this kind of damage...

Buncha BING HOLES!

At least the guy caved and said he'd buy me a new rim... I bet he never imagined the darn thing would cost him almost $700 shipped... I NEVER thought a new wheel would cost that much..

Old 05-28-2005, 11:21 PM
A STOCK wheel is that much?

Old 05-29-2005, 12:01 AM
Was this the stock 6-spoke wheel, or the sports package 5-spoke?

Old 05-29-2005, 06:10 AM
A couple of months ago, I took my ML in to get new tires. I was not as careful as you in 'preparing' the wheel/tire before bringing the car in. I was at the shop while they were doing the mounting and balancing; looking and checking as much as I can. Told the guy to use adhesive weight only, etc.

When they were done, they DROPPED as least two of the wheel on the front and left a concentric circle of nasty scratches. I was so pissed especially after I was assured that the mounting is 'touchless'...we've been doing this for years...etc.

Net-net: the manager only took responsiblity for one of the wheel and gave me $100 off the bill. It's these knuckleheads that get me all paranoid whenever I have to get my car serviced.

Old 05-29-2005, 06:48 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
that's an excellent idea - pull the wheel off yourself (drive on a spare if you must), wash and polish it. take pictures, even. then have the tire shop *note* that the wheel is in perfect condition.

i will most certainly take a note of this one.

sorry to hear about your problems, but at least they are being responsible in replacing the damaged wheel.

p.s. what douchebags!!! how friggin difficult is it to be careful and not damage a $700 wheel! the words "this is worth more than your life" come to mind.

Old 05-29-2005, 08:25 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

I was shocked to find out how much they were too - but I bet he's (the owner) more shocked. Doesn't matter - I have a signed receipt from the owner that states he'll replace the wheel at NO COST to me. It'll hold up in court.

Another thing - the wheels cost different prices at different dealers. At my dealer in San Antonio the 17" X 7" 7 spoke was $682. I called another dealer in San Diego (my dealer's parts department closed) to verify the part number, and they wanted $570.

Makes you wonder what they pay for them..

Last edited by GeeWillikers; 05-29-2005 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
I was shocked to find out how much they were too - but I bet he's (the owner) more shocked. Doesn't matter - I have a signed receipt from the owner that states he'll replace the wheel at NO COST to me. It'll hold up in court.

Another thing - the wheels cost different prices at different dealers. At my dealer in San Antonio the 17" X 7" 7 spoke was $682. I called another dealer in San Diego (my dealer's parts department closed) to verify the part number, and they wanted $570.

Makes you wonder what they pay for them..
Prior to getting my G35 , I purchased an (DEFECTIVE POS) I35. I wanted the sunroof wind defelctor. The Infiniti web site showed it for one price, I think it was 100.00. The dealers parts dept wanted 150.00. I asked how come it ws listed on corp website for 100.00. Their answer was buy it from them then. The pasts person would not budge on the price so I left without the part. I put out a request for quote e-mail and found a dealer that sold it at the msrp. I guess your wheel was no different. Kinda leaves a bad taste in your mouth , doesn't it?

Old 05-29-2005, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by fullofivy
A couple of months ago, I took my ML in to get new tires. I was not as careful as you in 'preparing' the wheel/tire before bringing the car in. I was at the shop while they were doing the mounting and balancing; looking and checking as much as I can. Told the guy to use adhesive weight only, etc.

When they were done, they DROPPED as least two of the wheel on the front and left a concentric circle of nasty scratches. I was so pissed especially after I was assured that the mounting is 'touchless'...we've been doing this for years...etc.

Net-net: the manager only took responsiblity for one of the wheel and gave me $100 off the bill. It's these knuckleheads that get me all paranoid whenever I have to get my car serviced.
Years ago, I had a Honda Accord EX that had a clear coat finish on the factory mags. I only took my car to Tire Kingdom for tires, balance or new tires. Every time I got the car back, the rims looked worse. I finally said something to the manager basically asking him to be sure they were more careful ,he actually laughed at me when I mentioned that they were continually damaging my rims. I never went back there again. That was about 8 years ago. They lost a customer for life.

Old 05-29-2005, 02:51 PM
What shop?

Gee, sorry to read that. Made me cringe.

What shop did the, ah, work?

I've had good luck with Discount Tire over the years, at least my local shop here in town. There was a six-month period a year-and-a-half ago where my wife and picked up EIGHT screws or nails in various tires on both of our cars. (There was a mini-housing boom in our area.) For a while it seemed like every day I'd walk out to the garage and see a low tire. My wife's G20 Sport has 16" wheels with a lip, but the Altima 3.5 I was driving at the time had 17" lipless wheels similar in design (and exactly the same size) as the G35's 17" pieces.

Discount Tire never dicked 'em up in removing/patching/remounting/balancing. Yeah, I know I was lucky.

Good luck getting that wheel. Post some pics of the damage when you get a chance so I can cringe even more for you.

Old 05-29-2005, 04:33 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

This was Discount Tire.. I've never had a problem there before. There was one guy there we always went to. He screwed up by doing such a good job - he got promoted and they moved him to Kerrville.

Now I get 'Hector...' Lovely.

Old 05-29-2005, 04:44 PM
G'z 6MT
That sucks bro!! Sorry to here what happened. At least your getting a NEW wheel ot of the deal, jus don't let then jack that one.

Old 06-02-2005, 10:53 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

The wheel has arrived. I'm almost scared to go look at it. With my luck, it'll come out of the box damaged and I'll have to start over again.

Anyway.

To get the replacement wheel shipped to Victoria (about 100 from here) cost the shop almost $800. Holy smokes. For some reason they couldn't get the dealers in San Antonio or Houston to order the wheel and then ship it to them - they would have had to come pick it up. To save mileage, they looked to Victoria.

it seemed like it would be easy, but they managed to make it difficult. The tire shop had to arrange for an Infiniti dealer in Houston (their choice) to call the Nissan dealer in Victoria and 'authorize' them to order the part (??). The local Nissan dealer here in Corpus didn't want to get involved.

Anyway, Houston called Victoria and gave them the nod, they ordered the wheel, it arrived in Victoria, and then a guy from the tire shop (probably Hector again) had to drive to Victoria to pick it up. It's here in less than a week so I'm not complaining - I just hope it comes out of the box cherry.

Old 06-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Premier Member

Please tell me where you went so I can stay away from that place! Thanks.

Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
A while back I posted the OT thread - Plug or Patch - Opinion.

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...highlight=plug

I knew a patch was the proper, safe, CORRECT way to fix this ultra slow leak I had in my left rear, but I dreaded breaking the integrity of the tire/rim and letting the morons at the tire shop handle my wheel.

This morning I finally made time to get the work done and to absolutely minimize the risk of damage I pulled the tire myself in my driveway. After I pulled it, I washed it top to bottom and then polished the rim so there would be NO DOUBT as to the material condition of the wheel when I took it in.

When we got to the tire shop, I had the technician note on the work order that there was NO DAMAGE to the wheel and that it was in PERFECT condition. I told him about the LPWS and how delicate they were, and that if he damaged my wheel that I was going to choke the $hit out of people - starting with him.. I didn't use those words exactly, but pretty close.

I got the standard "don't worry" and "I'll put my best guy on it" and all the customary BS they reserve for their picky customers, and I sat down to wait.

I watched them break the wheel down, they it went off into some dark corner for the patch, then they built the tire back up and balanced it. Then it disappeared.

My counter guy came back in and I say "hey - I saw my wheel come off the balancer - where'd it go?" He says "lemme check.."

I watch him go out and lots of pointing and gesturing, then they go pick it off a rack in the back of the shop. I'm like WTF? Then they're looking at my wheel and the manager comes over, then they're rubbing it, then they break out a rag (from a back pocket) and start wiping it, then I lose it.

I come out and ask "is there a problem?" The shop manager says "yes, we have a problem.." I look at my wheel and somehow they've managed to trash the front AND rear of it. The front is scratched in two places at least 1/8 inch deep and an inch long, and the rear has a gouge with a rough edge that would cut your finger DEEP if you didn't know it was there. (thinking of washing...)

I say "you FOCKED up my wheel - after all my preparation and warning and precautions you STILL managed to dick it up..." He (the manager) says "we'll pay to repair it" and I say "no, you'll pay to replace it until it was like it was when I brought it in here." I was chapped like you read about - he paused, then said "okay. we'll buy you a new wheel."

So now I'm waiting on a wheel ($682 from my dealer in San Antonio) and to go through the process of getting my wheel mounted and balanced... All for a slow leak.

I should have gone with the plug in my driveway....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Damaged Rim - The Prophecy Fulfilled