G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Just ordered z-tube, k&n drop in, jdm clear...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 11:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just ordered z-tube, k&n drop in, jdm clear...

Hello all,

Decided to give the car a little mod after owning it for almost 6 months. I am no mechanic at all and hopefully I won't screw anything up installing them. I found the following links to install them.

Z-tube https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-exhaust/39832-diy-z-tube-install.html
(Is there another link that has all the picture in full blown size so I can print it out?)

K&N drop in https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=filter

I couldn't find any link to install the jdm clear corner so I figure it must be quite easy.

By the way, which one should I install first? k&n drop or z tube? Also, some said to reset ECU afterward, is that necessary?

Hopefully my dealer won't give me any problem with these minor mods and looking forward for a little more engine sound from the Z-tube...

Last edited by mikeee2; 06-01-2005 at 11:58 PM.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeee2
Hello all,

Decided to give the car a little mod after owning it for almost 6 months. I am no mechanic at all and hopefully I won't screw anything up installing them. I found the following links to install them.

Z-tube https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39832
(Is there another link that has all the picture in full blown size so I can print it out?)

K&N drop in https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=filter

I couldn't find any link to install the jdm clear corner so I figure it must be quite easy.

By the way, which one should I install first? k&n drop or z tube? Also, some said to reset ECU afterward, is that necessary?

Hopefully my dealer won't give me any problem with these minor mods and looking forward for a little more engine sound from the Z-tube...
Well what I would do first would be to install the Z tube then install the K & N panel filter.
The clear corners take about 30 seconds to put on. You just pull them towards you they snap right off. Have fun!

Old 06-02-2005, 02:33 AM
Originally Posted by BlackGSedaN1027
Well what I would do first would be to install the Z tube then install the K & N panel filter.
The clear corners take about 30 seconds to put on. You just pull them towards you they snap right off. Have fun!
I was reading when you install K&N you have to pull out the tube also. So wouldn't it be better to do K&N first? I don't know...just guessing.

Old 06-02-2005, 06:04 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Sedan
I was reading when you install K&N you have to pull out the tube also. So wouldn't it be better to do K&N first? I don't know...just guessing.
You do it at the same time.

Old 06-02-2005, 06:59 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Yes when you have your old tube out change the filter then put in the z-tube.
Have fun Bobby .
Wayne

Old 06-02-2005, 07:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GEE35X
Have fun Bobby .
Wayne
I agree. Do both at the same time. Replacing the filter when the tube is out is much easier. However, I would have added the right side battery cover to the list. It will cover the ABS just like the battery cover on the right side.

Old 06-02-2005, 08:49 AM
Have fun Bobby .
Wayne
Will do...thanks Wayne. Hey, from the link SoCALTed mentioned twice about "watch the falling bushing" on the back of the cover. How do I prevent it from dropping into the engine area? Hopefully, I can accomplish all 3 task in less than 2 or 3 hours...

Old 06-02-2005, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by RichK
I agree. Do both at the same time. Replacing the filter when the tube is out is much easier. However, I would have added the right side battery cover to the list. It will cover the ABS just like the battery cover on the right side.
Thanks for your advice RichK. What's right side battery cover??? I thought the battery already has a cover?

Old 06-02-2005, 08:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for your advice RichK. What's right side battery cover??? I thought the battery already has a cover?
In Japan the battery is on the driver's side. If you order the right side battery cover it will cover the ABS and look like the left side. It helps to clean up the engine bay a bit.

Like others said, do the K&N and Z-Tube at the same time. Put in the panel filter before hooking up the Z-Tube. It shouldn't take more than 1-2 hours to do everything.

Old 06-02-2005, 09:43 AM
Will do...thanks Wayne. Hey, from the link SoCALTed mentioned twice about "watch the falling bushing" on the back of the cover. How do I prevent it from dropping into the engine area?
Bobby...he is telling you to be aware that the bushings are lightly pressed in the cover. Just don't bang the cover around so you could jar the bushing loose. When you remove the cover lift it gently and set it to the side, making sure the bushings are accounted for when you remove and re-install it. Mine never fell out. It is no biggie, you will see how easy it is when you do it, just take your time and you will breeze through it.

Old 06-02-2005, 10:34 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
There's no need to reset the ECU on these cars. The ECU is adaptive. It takes about 30 starts for the ECU to learn any changes you've done to the motor. I've never reset my 03's ECU since purchasing it in January and the car ran a 14.4 a month ago. It feels strong as ever.

Old 06-02-2005, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by Philly_G35
In Japan the battery is on the driver's side. If you order the right side battery cover it will cover the ABS and look like the left side. It helps to clean up the engine bay a bit.
Philly_G35,

I have an 05, and there is a cover on the battery and another cover on the opposite side that looks exactly the same. Am I missing something or the 05 models already have both covers already?

Old 06-02-2005, 11:10 AM
Thumbs up

Philly_G35,

I have an 05, and there is a cover on the battery and another cover on the opposite side that looks exactly the same. Am I missing something or the 05 models already have both covers already?
Good stuff Bobby , sounds like you already have one. The dealer must have added that on your car cause that is not the way the stock 05 normally comes.

Old 06-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Bobby...he is telling you to be aware that the bushings are lightly pressed in the cover. Just don't bang the cover around so you could jar the bushing loose. When you remove the cover lift it gently and set it to the side, making sure the bushings are accounted for when you remove and re-install it. Mine never fell out. It is no biggie, you will see how easy it is when you do it, just take your time and you will breeze through it.
I hope it's that easy Wayne . I can tear apart a computer and put it back piece by piece but I am no mechanic when it comes to cars. One quick question regarding the engine cover. Those 4 bolts on the engine cover... does it go into the engine? The reason I asked is the first time I removed the valve cover for my honda, the bolts were going into the cylinders and I tighten one of them too hard and broke it off.

Old 06-02-2005, 11:13 AM
Good stuff Bobby , sounds like you already have one. The dealer must have added that on your car cause that is not the way the stock 05 normally comes.
I mean...looking at the engine from the front of the hood. There's a cover on the top left corner for the battery and another cover on the top right cover. I forgot what was underneath...maybe the brake fluids? or fuse? I can post a picture of it when I get home tonight...at work now...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just ordered z-tube, k&n drop in, jdm clear...