G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

did anynone seriously consider a Chrysler 300C when car shopping?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 07:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 300C will not stand up over the years. Chrysler does not have anywhere near the quality it should have and that car's value will drop like a stone. That and the hemi mileage with cylinder deactivation. I would not go near that car since tires will cost a fortune.

Old 09-06-2005, 08:52 AM
The 300C is nice. I test drove the AWD version. A couple of things that I liked and disliked. The ride was nice. The cylinder deactivation was unoticeable (good). I currently have the Honda Odyssey with that feature, and the Chrysler system was as seamless as the Honda's.

The AWD version sits a full inch higher than the 2WD version, and it's very noticeable. I didn't like that. I don't know the numbers, but I'm guessing the 300C is more expensive to insure than our Infiniti's. And the SRT would probably be brutal to insure.

I decided that if I bought this car, it would have to be the SRT version. Dealer markup, insurance costs, gas guzzler tax, poor mileage, and the fact that the car would be absolutely worthless in the winter months kept me from doing it. As much fun as that car would've been, I'm glad I bought the G instead.

Old 09-06-2005, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by mickey3c
The 300C will not stand up over the years. Chrysler does not have anywhere near the quality it should have and that car's value will drop like a stone. That and the hemi mileage with cylinder deactivation. I would not go near that car since tires will cost a fortune.
Way do you say that? The car looks good, has a healthy V8, is rwd, packed full of German parts, and is a popular. I imagine there are a ton of people who cannot afford one now who would jump on a good deal on a used. Chrysler did a good job bringing back the Hemi name. Teenagers will grow up thinking it is the king of power without really knowing what it means. Pretty soon, they will be putting Hemi stickers on their Hondas.

Old 09-06-2005, 12:23 PM
I like the look, but dont like the interior, and I feel due to Chryslers history, that this car will give you about 40,000 miles until it turns into a POS. They have made improvements in quality, but still lack behind the *** brands. I put on about 25k miles a year and need a car to last 150K, I just dont think the Chrysler can do it and am not willing to spend that type of money to find out if Im wrong.

Old 09-06-2005, 12:38 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Tested one out of curiosity B4 I bought the G.

Not many redeeming quallities as far as I am concerned.
It drove like a barge & while the look is interesting,
I thing it'll age quickly

Old 09-06-2005, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by tonyj
....... but still lack behind the *** brands.
Did you serve alongside Archie Bunker in Doubleyah Doubelyah Two..The Big One?

Old 09-06-2005, 03:21 PM
Old Arch was a good freind of mine.
Screw being PC.

Old 09-06-2005, 03:39 PM
Wow, I wasn't aware that an SRT8 was within a stone's throw of the price of a G35. I went to a Jeep/Chrysler dealer with a friend here in Albuquerque, and they were apparently asking $65k for the SRT8 they had coming in, and had 3 people with $5k deposits on it... I take it that's not the case anymore...

Old 09-06-2005, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by garobe
Wow, I wasn't aware that an SRT8 was within a stone's throw of the price of a G35. I went to a Jeep/Chrysler dealer with a friend here in Albuquerque, and they were apparently asking $65k for the SRT8 they had coming in, and had 3 people with $5k deposits on it... I take it that's not the case anymore...

with the price of gas, it prolly isnt anymore...
a fully optioned SRT-8 is $45,000

a pretty nice tag for the power. the SRT-8 is an awsome awsome car...

Old 09-07-2005, 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by jawjaw
Way do you say that? The car looks good, has a healthy V8, is rwd, packed full of German parts, and is a popular. I imagine there are a ton of people who cannot afford one now who would jump on a good deal on a used. Chrysler did a good job bringing back the Hemi name. Teenagers will grow up thinking it is the king of power without really knowing what it means. Pretty soon, they will be putting Hemi stickers on their Hondas.

Have you ever owned a Chrysler? If not then buy one and discover what happens. The car's resale will drop like a stone... The reliability is avg at best. And stop believing all the Hemi Hype. I am sure it will perfrom fairly well, but if you do not mind 40K and shelling out a lot of cake for gas and tires, then go for it. Whether I can afford one or not is not the point. I do not want to spend 80 a week on gas for the dam thing and do not want the hemi gas mileage at 3.50 a gallon. And Chrysler has been using german parts for years.. My 86 shelby daytona had a bosch fuel injection system and a garret turbo charger.

Old 09-07-2005, 10:18 AM
.. My 86 shelby daytona
I'd be bitter too.

Old 09-07-2005, 10:24 AM
I have a 300c in my driveway now with 30+k on it and the only things going wrong are what I did to it... So far my first american car purchase in over 10 years isnt so bad. Besides I love the looks I get with my 22's on it

Old 09-07-2005, 10:44 AM
Have you ever owned a Chrysler? If not then buy one and discover what happens. The car's resale will drop like a stone... The reliability is avg at best. And stop believing all the Hemi Hype. I am sure it will perfrom fairly well, but if you do not mind 40K and shelling out a lot of cake for gas and tires, then go for it. Whether I can afford one or not is not the point. I do not want to spend 80 a week on gas for the dam thing and do not want the hemi gas mileage at 3.50 a gallon. And Chrysler has been using german parts for years.. My 86 shelby daytona had a bosch fuel injection system and a garret turbo charger.
No, but my parents owned a LeBaron when I was a teenager. That was first and last Chrysler my Dad ever bought because it was the biggest pos ever. It's hard for me to compare that K-car to the much more pleasing 300c. Nobody wants a K-car but plenty of people want a 300c. The 300c has a lot more going for it and is getting great reviews. Sure, they may develop lots of problems but I just don't see them sitting on a used car for long with a low price. There are plenty of people out there who don't research cars and just buy what looks good. Like it or not, the Hemi name is big and it sells cars.

Chrysler merged with Mercedes in the late 90's. Since then, their quality is reported to have improved quite a bit. When I mentioned the 300c had German parts, I meant it was built on a previous generation Mercedes platform. That's a little more than a couple of injectors.

I don't think gas is always going to be $3 a gallon. If it stays expensive, then you are right in that it will affect what people drive. Unless you are doing burnouts at every stoplight, tires are not an issue.

Old 09-07-2005, 12:09 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jawjaw
Chrysler merged with Mercedes in the late 90's. Since then, their quality is reported to have improved quite a bit. When I mentioned the 300c had German parts, I meant it was built on a previous generation Mercedes platform. That's a little more than a couple of injectors.
Just for clarification, the 300 is not built on a previous-gen Merc platform. It does borrow some stuff from the parts bin, such as I believe the rear suspension setup, and possibly the tranny, but it's an entirely different platform.

Old 09-07-2005, 04:50 PM
The 300c is played out as a entry level pimp mobile.