G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Have you been locked out of car???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you been locked out of car???

Since March we've been locked out of the car at least 6 times. Today was the worst when I shut the door to run into the dry cleaners with the engine running and I was locked out. I had to walk10 blocks in 95 degree heat to get another set of keys. I've been locked out at the car wash and the door is often locked in the garage when we go to drive it. The dealer said the "auto door lock" was set ON but that it shouldn't lock the door with the key in the ignitiopn or engine running. He reset the Auto lock" to OFF. But It locked again in our garage. I'm wondering of the door lock switch at the door interior door handle is a poor design. Has anyone experienced locking the door by mistake when they shut the door?? The service shop said they'd never received a complaint like mine. Is there an alternative to hiding a key on the car? I'm not thrilled with the idea of a key holder someone could find or one that could drop off causing me to lose the valet key. Any ideas?

Old 06-14-2005, 08:03 PM
Get a new 05 G with Intelligent Key. Really neat feature that the doors won't lock if you leave the keys inside and even starts beeping to remind you ... sweet.

Old 06-14-2005, 09:35 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
Originally Posted by s2kguy
Since March we've been locked out of the car at least 6 times. Today was the worst when I shut the door to run into the dry cleaners with the engine running and I was locked out. I had to walk10 blocks in 95 degree heat to get another set of keys. I've been locked out at the car wash and the door is often locked in the garage when we go to drive it. The dealer said the "auto door lock" was set ON but that it shouldn't lock the door with the key in the ignitiopn or engine running. He reset the Auto lock" to OFF. But It locked again in our garage. I'm wondering of the door lock switch at the door interior door handle is a poor design. Has anyone experienced locking the door by mistake when they shut the door?? The service shop said they'd never received a complaint like mine. Is there an alternative to hiding a key on the car? I'm not thrilled with the idea of a key holder someone could find or one that could drop off causing me to lose the valet key. Any ideas?
I have an idea! How about you remove your keys from the car when you get out of it??? You would think you would have learned after the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th time.

Old 06-15-2005, 02:05 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
If you do leave it running (unwise b/c if it is stolen--ins. may not cover) roll the driver window 1/2 down--make it a habit. Or just turn the car off like s.cru said--and the other comment on buy an 05--that is not helping.

Old 06-15-2005, 08:24 AM

Same thing happened to me. I got out of my car with the engine running and closed the door like I have done 10 million times and when I came back 2 min. later my door was locked with the engine running. Luckily I was at a body shop to get a ding removed and the DingKing wedged open the door about an inch and slipped in a metal rod and pushed the lock switch to open. I had no damage at all.

I have no idea how the door became locked as I would think that by opening the door to get out all locks are disengaged. I now carry the spare key in my wallet and am wary of getting out of the car with the engine running and closing the door.

Infiniti needs to issue some kind of clarification on this issue!!

Old 06-15-2005, 09:38 AM
I was locked out once. It was 3 hours from home and I got out at the side of the road to get something from the trunk and found all the doors locked when I tried to get in. I don't know how they got locked. I may have bumped the door switch by the hand pull, but I don't know. I had the wallet key in my wallet and thank goodness my wallet was in my pocket, not the top of the dash cubby where I leave it sometimes (not much any more!!!).

Some people carry the valet key separately from the master in their pockets to avoid this. Of course, not leaving the keys in the ignition is the best idea and I rarely did before this in any car, mainly to avoid theft.

I have thought of hiding a wallet key somewhere outside wrapped in plastic wrap and attached with roofing cement that would get dirty and not be visible. I had an extra valet key made for my G20 (and maybe for my I30) and don't know if that can be done at a reasonable cost for the G35, if I want the security of two of them.

Old 06-15-2005, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by skeleton_cru
I have an idea! How about you remove your keys from the car when you get out of it??? You would think you would have learned after the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th time.
LOL!! I guess the low-tech approach is not good enough.

Old 06-15-2005, 12:27 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Our G's both came with a key that would open the doors but not operate the ignition. If you are having that many problems with it then put that key in something and attach it to the car. I have been, over the years, considered the queen of locking my keys in my car (once with my about 9 month old IN the car) but that stat beats even my record . I kinda have to agree that you would think that you guys would stop leaving the key in the car but...

Old 06-15-2005, 01:23 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Frankly, I believe if you get out of the car you should turn it off, especially if you are going inside a building or out of visual range. To me this is a non-issue. If you don't learn from your mistakes, sucks to be you.

Smart-key makes it almost impossible to lock yourself out. A little story we thought was funny.

Went to a buffet. The wife wanted to leave her purse in the trunk. I popped it and we put her purse inside, then I bumped it closed. It stayed closed for a second, then beeped and popped open. I stopped and turned, then went back and closed it a second time. This time I waited and in about 2 seconds it beeped and popped open again.

By this time I'm like WTF? I open the trunk all the way, unlock and relock the car using the button under the door handle, then try it a third time. Same thing. Then it hits me. My wife's fob is in her purse and G Mama was telling us "uh-uh - I'm not locking the key in the trunk. I moved the purse farther in - all the way to the seat back and closed it again. This time the fob was out of range and it remained closed.

Funny stuff.

Old 06-15-2005, 03:34 PM
That "Smart-Key" may not be as smart as you think. My Infiniti service advisor got locked out of his FX out of town when he placed the Intelli key in the cup holder and shut the door. He had to get another way back to town to retrieve a working key. 4 days later Infiniti issues a service bulletin warning not to put the key in the cup holder as that is the only place it won't be recognised.

BTW, this was my 1st posting on this board, and I really appreciate the thoughtful, intelligent replies I received from the all the considerate owners-
well at least a few were...only a few.

Old 06-15-2005, 03:44 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
BTW, this was my 1st posting on this board, and I really appreciate the thoughtful, intelligent replies I received from the all the considerate owners-
Awwww, now you went and hurt my feelings.

Old 06-15-2005, 03:46 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
That "Smart-Key" may not be as smart as you think. My Infiniti service advisor got locked out of his FX out of town when he placed the Intelli key in the cup holder and shut the door. He had to get another way back to town to retrieve a working key. 4 days later Infiniti issues a service bulletin warning not to put the key in the cup holder as that is the only place it won't be recognised.

Funny, mine stays in the cup holder when I'm detailing and the car refuses to lock with it there - we tried it. The doors lock, I get a 4 beep alarm, and then they unlock again.

Guess it depends on the fob and the sensor pairing as well as the vehicle.

Doesn't matter - my smart-key rides in my pocket. Kinda hard to leave your key in the car when you never take it out of your pocket.

Old 06-15-2005, 03:49 PM
My horns hold up my halo

I do apologize if I offended. I didn't mean to and I didn't realize you were new. My reason for saying it that way is that I am by nature a smarta$$. I sometimes forget that it comes across a little nasty when people don't know me. Ask my hubby - I can be a little difficult sometimes to deal with because of my comments. It really is all in good fun and I do know that you had a valid question. Sorry.

Old 06-15-2005, 04:36 PM
Simple solution, turn the ignition off and take the key along with you all the time.

I NEVER leave the car without the keys. If I have some work very close, then I leave the door open.

Old 06-15-2005, 04:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am a bit confused. Are you guys saying, with key in the ignition (engine running or not running) and I walked out of my car, slammed the door and it'll lock itself automatically after a few minutes? How can that be???

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Have you been locked out of car???