G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

'05 g35x: Has Infiniti fixed these issues?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 04:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 g35x: Has Infiniti fixed these issues?

Hey, a g35 forum with GOOD ACTIVITY! Excellent. I tried this post in inifinitihelp.com, but certainly didn't get any.

So, here goes:

In my online research of this vehicle I've seen:

a) lawsuits re: faulty brake pads/rotors in '03 and '04
b) horrible 5mph bumper test in the '03
c) lots of annecdotal complaints re: paint chipping easily

Has Infiniti/Nissan truly FIXED these in the '05 model? I've been unable to find information that says so.

Thanks for any help,
Chris

Old 06-16-2005, 05:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lookin2buy35x
Hey, a g35 forum with GOOD ACTIVITY! Excellent. I tried this post in inifinitihelp.com, but certainly didn't get any.

So, here goes:

b) horrible 5mph bumper test in the '03
c) lots of annecdotal complaints re: paint chipping easily

Has Infiniti/Nissan truly FIXED these in the '05 model? I've been unable to find information that says so.

Thanks for any help,
Chris
a) Fixed
b) Not sure about the 5mph bumper test or heard of it
c) Paint chip still exist in 05's

Old 06-16-2005, 05:27 PM
I think the paint chipping problem (or is it an issue?) exists pretty much across the board, no matter what car you look at. Some have said that it is because the EPA has forbidden the use of volatile solvents in the paint. I don`t know, but every car/truck I have owned in the last few years has suffered from the same problem. The various boards seem to back this up. I don`t think my G 35X is any worse than mt 03 TL was, nor my Dodge Ram.

Old 06-16-2005, 05:36 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
No problems with mine. I would buy another.

1. My brakes are good so far, haven't heard of any complaints on the 05 X.
2. A few people on the board have been in unbelievable crashes in their sedans, and they walked away. That says a LOT for me. I don't care about a 5mph test.
3. Paint chipping, I believe there is a higher rate of paint chipping with NIssan/Infiniti, but I am on my third one and mine have been acceptable, use a clear bra and don't tailgate.
Wayne
EDIT...lookintobuy35x.... I almost forgot "A big welcome to the site, it's the best one around, hope to see you as a regular here ".

Last edited by GEE35FX; 06-16-2005 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:30 PM
Lip
Originally Posted by lookin2buy35x

So, here goes:

Chris
I'll let you know after a few thousand more miles.
The 2005 G35x uses the same size rotors as last year as far as I can tell.
Not sure about the pad compound at this point.

Old 06-16-2005, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by RetAF
I think the paint chipping problem (or is it an issue?) exists pretty much across the board, no matter what car you look at. Some have said that it is because the EPA has forbidden the use of volatile solvents in the paint. I don`t know, but every car/truck I have owned in the last few years has suffered from the same problem. The various boards seem to back this up. I don`t think my G 35X is any worse than mt 03 TL was, nor my Dodge Ram.
Yeah, I've heard the rumor (urban legend?) about it being the EPA's "fault." Dunno. But then, neither my wife nor I have bought a new car since a model year '96 Yukon. Neither our cars have what I would call a paint chipping problem on the front of the hood. And I haven't seen any other such critical mass of anecdotal complaints in any other mfg's forums, so it seemed to me an Infinity "problem." Maybe not.

But thanks for the feedback.
-Chris

Old 06-16-2005, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by mikeee2
a) Fixed
Do you know if they actually fixed it, as in any sort of redesign, or is it just now that they have the 3yr/36k coverage explicitly for the brakes?

Originally Posted by mikeee2
b) Not sure about the 5mph bumper test or heard of it
c) Paint chip still exist in 05's
Bumper test info here:

http://www.iihs.org/news_releases/2003/pr090703.htm

Thanks,
Chris

Trending Topics

Old 06-16-2005, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by GEE35X
2. A few people on the board have been in unbelievable crashes in their sedans, and they walked away. That says a LOT for me. I don't care about a 5mph test
Good point There is no underestimating the value of safety. Yet, $1800 for a 5mph bumper bang is what it is. See link above for the '03 test report.

3. Paint chipping, I believe there is a higher rate of paint chipping with NIssan/Infiniti, but I am on my third one and mine have been acceptable, use a clear bra and don't tailgate.
I'll look into the clear bra (ha, pun! ), but part of me says I shouldn't have to spend extra $$ to get "proper" paint performance!

EDIT...lookintobuy35x.... I almost forgot "A big welcome to the site, it's the best one around, hope to see you as a regular here ".
Thanks! We should know soon enough! Cross shopping the G35x with a Volvo V50 T5 - ha!

Old 06-16-2005, 07:54 PM
It works on my machine
I traded a 2003 Accord for the G35 and the Accord had its share of rock chips. My wife drives a 2004 Mitsu. Endeavor, I have found rock chips on that as well. I think no car will ever be immune to rocks flying at it over 100 MPH on a highway, especially if you get anywhere near one of those big dump trucks that only seem to haul rocks. BTW - Had a few windshields replaced because of the rock trucks. My advice is to not tailgate and avoid the trucks.

Old 06-16-2005, 10:46 PM
I guess the question is, what are you going to buy if you pass on the G35 for brake/bumper/paint issues? I mean, do the available options run from trucks to sports sedans? I guess my point is, most people I know driving G35's are so silly happy with the driving experience, they aren't giving the issues you mention much thought. That this incredible automobile is made by Nissan and is known for it's strong engine and overall excellent build quality and reliability, is icing on the cake.

Just my .02.

Old 06-17-2005, 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by calejohnson
I guess the question is, what are you going to buy if you pass on the G35 for brake/bumper/paint issues? I mean, do the available options run from trucks to sports sedans? I guess my point is, most people I know driving G35's are so silly happy with the driving experience, they aren't giving the issues you mention much thought. That this incredible automobile is made by Nissan and is known for it's strong engine and overall excellent build quality and reliability, is icing on the cake.

Just my .02.
Exactly, after I'm sick of looking at chips I'll buy a Nismo body kit and a clear bra.