I go over the smallest bump in the road and I really feel it
anyone else having this issue
thanks

Old 07-05-2005, 12:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ummmmmmm....No.

Old 07-05-2005, 12:21 AM
check ur air pressure in your tires. mine was 48 psi when i got mine. your dealership should set the correct air pressure but might not of. this could be the cause of your issues. i have mine set at 32 psi and its much better.

Old 07-05-2005, 12:25 AM
48 PSI? Woah - that's one way to get the MPG up. You feel all light and goofy in the steering?

Old 07-05-2005, 07:14 AM
The suspension "settles" after 1000 miles or so if I remember correctly. My G35x definitely rode more harshly when it was brand new. Smoother now. Give it a little while.

Checking the tire pressure is a definite first step and great idea, though.

Good luck!

Rich

Old 07-05-2005, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by RichNY
The suspension "settles" after 1000 miles or so if I remember correctly. My G35x definitely rode more harshly when it was brand new. Smoother now. Give it a little while.

Rich
Mine was the exact opposite - very floaty and bouncy. I spent the first 1000 wishing I got a RWD with Aero. Now I am happy as clam and I know I did the right thing. Besides, It's July. Just wait til December!

Old 07-05-2005, 01:14 PM
Lip
Originally Posted by big daddy d
Mine was the exact opposite - very floaty and bouncy. I spent the first 1000 wishing I got a RWD with Aero. Now I am happy as clam and I know I did the right thing. Besides, It's July. Just wait til December!
Yeah, I like the smooth ride- And come ski-season...
I would like to get rid of some of the floatiness on the freeway, at least at the rear of the car- Wondering if a bigger rear swaybar would help the X?

Old 07-05-2005, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by big daddy d
Mine was the exact opposite - very floaty and bouncy. I spent the first 1000 wishing I got a RWD with Aero.
Exactly how I felt/feel. I am at 2000 miles now and it is still bouncing and floating mid-corner with bumps. And when there are people in the back seat it is much worse. Granted my daily driver before this was a 300zx turbo but I still thought it would handle and ride better than it does in the curves. Doesn't give me much confidence.

What I would like to do is change the springs and shocks from the "Sport Suspension" package into the X but am not sure if that will make a difference or even if it will handle the extra weight of the X. Or the springs/shocks out of a coupe or 350Z. Of course there is the debate between OEM and aftermarket too.

The best suspension mod I ever made on my Z though was adjustable sway bars. Huge difference in handling characteristics, grip, and body roll. I look forward to doing the same to the X.

Nate
05 G35x

Old 07-05-2005, 03:02 PM
Lip
Nate,
Personally, and you may agree, I'd be reluctant to want to use the OEM parts in any upgrade, even if the pieces are part of the sport package or from the Z-car.

You mentioned sway bars on your old Z-Car- I'm wondering if we could eliminate some of the wallow(sp) found during high-speed mid-corner bumps by utilizing a different rear sway bar? I think it would take some of the LeSabre out of the X.
Obviously some Tokicos or Bilsteins wouldn't hurt either.

Personally, I want to keep the ride height and compliance, while improving control a bit.

Old 07-05-2005, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by Lip
Nate,
Personally, and you may agree, I'd be reluctant to want to use the OEM parts in any upgrade, even if the pieces are part of the sport package or from the Z-car.

You mentioned sway bars on your old Z-Car- I'm wondering if we could eliminate some of the wallow(sp) found during high-speed mid-corner bumps by utilizing a different rear sway bar? I think it would take some of the LeSabre out of the X.
Obviously some Tokicos or Bilsteins wouldn't hurt either.

Personally, I want to keep the ride height and compliance, while improving control a bit.
Totally agree. I don't want to make an autocrosser out of the X (that is what the Z is for), so I don't want to give up too much compliance. That is why I thought of staying away from aftermarket this time. I have eibach progressives on the Z and Tokico Illuminas (5-way adjustable), and Suspension Techniques 3-way adjustable sway bars. Decent set up but the Tokico's are brutal on anything other than the softest setting. I don't want to rattle the X to pieces. That is why for the X I am considering the OEM components. I want to try out Hotchkiss sway bars this time around. They are half the weight (hollow).

Anyhoo... bottom line is I would like more control out of the rear end without making the ride harsh.

Nate

Old 07-05-2005, 06:22 PM
Lip
Originally Posted by natewood
Totally agree. I don't want to make an autocrosser out of the X (that is what the Z is for), so I don't want to give up too much compliance. That is why I thought of staying away from aftermarket this time. I have eibach progressives on the Z and Tokico Illuminas (5-way adjustable), and Suspension Techniques 3-way adjustable sway bars. Decent set up but the Tokico's are brutal on anything other than the softest setting. I don't want to rattle the X to pieces. That is why for the X I am considering the OEM components. I want to try out Hotchkiss sway bars this time around. They are half the weight (hollow).

Anyhoo... bottom line is I would like more control out of the rear end without making the ride harsh.

Nate
Yeah, I'm hoping to keep my X from rattling apart as well.
The Hotchkiss sway bars sound very interesting.

My only concern with the OEM stuff would be that the weight of the X as you mention. Sounds like the dampening my leave something to be desired.
I'm running 235/50/17 inch tires on the stock wheels, which probably don't help, though they ride nicely and are leagues better than the stockers.
Obviously something lower in profile my be better.
Do you have a link to the hotchkiss bar you are looking at?

Old 07-05-2005, 10:11 PM
did some more driving in my g35x
maybe i'm having these issues because i drive in nyc where the local roads aren't exactly the smoothest
when i drove back from the dealership on smooth freeway i didn't have any problems
but now when i'm driving on the local roads where there are undulations and bumps on the road, i get rattled in my seat!!!
granted i understand if i go over potholes and severe bumps and cracks i'll feel it
but i feel as though even the smallest inconsistency in the road is transferred into the interior of the car
i still need to check the tire pressure
any recommendations on good tire pressure gauges
also do you think that the suspension will really "settle" after 1000 or so miles... i have about 300 on my car
i'm just discouraged because i'm reading all these reviews about how the car is so smooth
but mine just isn't
any help would be appreciated
thanks

Old 07-05-2005, 10:58 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
The subject of swaping in oem suspension part's is a mute point. Do to the fact that the X uses a different front suspension then RWD FM platform varient's, you cannot use the front shocks or front swaybar's off of any other RWD G or Z. You will have to narrow the field to the FX. You can alway's send out your front oem sway bar and the mounting hardware to a company called SannerPrefab and they can make a copy of it to your specs, but they are known for being on the slow side.

The same goes for aftermarket parts as well, be it sways, shocks or coilovers. Springs you can use, given what's been said in this thread however, I'd be very carefull in making any choices with springs.

Last edited by Gsedan35; 07-05-2005 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:58 PM
Lip
Valero,
It's not Lexus smooth, though it's meant to have some road feel dialed in, at the expense of some ride compliance or quality. The best bet is to aim around the bumps, potholes, and torn up pavement. While this is by no stretch of the imagination a super stiff riding car, it will respond negatively to harsh bumps. It is after all a heavier car, most likely 3850+pound loaded with fuel and a single driver,
Try tire preasures, and in the winter, put 16 inch snows on it.

g35sedan,

Interesting to note about the front sway bar. I'm wondering if just a rear sway would shape things up without tripping out the handling overall. Might dial out some of the push?
Do they offer a sports package on the Skyline AWD coupe in Japan?
http://www.hotchkistuning.com/cgi-bi...atalogno=22413

Last edited by Lip; 07-05-2005 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:54 AM
I have been debating this issue since I picked my X up in Feb... I don't want to give up ride quality but I would like a more confident sled in the corners...

After doing much research on the subject, I was still at a loss for an answer. You will find many people on the forums who have used RWD parts (OEM and aftermarket) on their X's. As Gsedan35 idicates it is mostly a mute point... You will find those who have used RWD springs to lower the X but have had to cut the bump stops on the struts to compensate for the X being a different suspension design (FX35) and thus heavier.

Having modded many cars in the past, I refuse to take this route. If it's not engineered for the particular car, it's not engineered for it -- period. So I have been calling Eibach, having great experiences with them in the past, and was informed on the most recent call a couple of weeks ago, that X springs are in R&D. I am actually going to call this week to get a status...

Since I am not building an autocrosser, coilovers are over kill in my opinion. I will update this thread when I have more info from Eibach.

Doesn't really help you but gives you some insight based on my recent experiences.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Suspension issue in new G35x