G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

coupe pipe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 05:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
coupe pipe

I had my coupe mid-pipe installed today. I removed the cross member that will hold the axle up if it for some reason should break. I plan on making a custom one then re-installing it just for peace of mind. However, the engine on the 05 6MT is really rough sounding already (those with a 6MT know what I mean), the coupe mid-pipe DID NOT add sound similar to the coupe. Sure it backfires a bit with a rev, but I had to have someone rev my car while I stood outside. The whole point was to enjoy the tone from inside the car.

Anyone thinking about doing this to their 05 6MT, here are a few things to keep in mind:
1. Cross member will not fit (been discussed). The alternatives to this are modifying or making a new one.
2. Two gaskets (about $13 each) are needed, one for both end, however mine were still in good condition with 10,000 miles on the car so I just left them.
3. If you end up getting the pipe for a good price, keep in mind there are extras for the gaskets and install of course, so it will increase the price a bit, but in my opinion, I rather have put the $115 I spent towards an aftermarket exhaust.
4. If you are expecting a similar coupe sound, its not easily achievable. I've heard the clips of other members with mid-pipe, and it sounded good, but not as good in person.

Old 07-18-2005, 05:59 PM
Modded Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish you didn't post this- now I am second guessing installing the midpipe.

Besides the light gurgling, did you notice any sound difference at all?

I got the midpipe for free, and plan to do the labor on my own. My car only has 4,000 miles on it, so I am sure my gaskets should be fine.

What is the issue with the cross-member?

Old 07-18-2005, 08:49 PM
The cross member is curved so that if for some odd reason your drive shaft breaks, it will be held up by the cross member so that the car does not do a summersault or go out of control. I am going to bolt it up to a piece of metal and hammer the center a bit more flat. This will prevent the dimensions from changing and it will still bolt up like am OEM piece. This sounds confusing, but once you are under the car you will see what I mean, maybe later I will post pictures if I don't get too lazy.

Anyways nothing besides a light gurgle can be heard, maybe on your AT it might be a different case or a better sound. If someone got in my car and they were not told I had the mid-pipe, they would probably not even know its there.

Old 07-19-2005, 01:32 AM
Originally Posted by Nickk6
The cross member is curved so that if for some odd reason your drive shaft breaks, it will be held up by the cross member so that the car does not do a summersault or go out of control.

Is that what it's for? I was studying it sideways and upside down for a while, since it didn't look like a structural member, but I was confused about the actual purpose... thanks, I learned something new today!

I think everything that Nickk6 said is on the dot -- it sounds very close to stock, maybe a bit more "burble" when you get off the gas. But if you don't tell anyone you have it, they most likely won't notice. From the driver's seat, the sound change is minimal.

I'm in the same boat as Nickk6 -- looking for something that sounds nice from inside the car, but not ricey or too loud. Nickk6, do you know anything about pre-05 exhausts fitting on our cars? I think the hangers were changed for 05....

Old 07-19-2005, 09:10 AM
Just remember how much weight you lost - that suitcase weighed in at about 40 pounds or so if I rememeber correctly. Also, the gurgle makes it worth it alone IMO.

Anyone see the Myth-busters where they dropped an axle on a moving car with a remote into a pothole and tried to catapult the car? It was pretty cool after 2 days of trying to get it right. THe thing lauched into the air and blew the thing apart pretty good.

Old 07-19-2005, 10:25 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Has enyone ever claimed the coupe midpipe makes the sedan sound just like the coupe? Deeper yes, more in that direction yes, but your not going to copy it, not at all.

Old 07-19-2005, 11:04 AM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just replaced my middy a week ago with a 350z middy. As far as I know, the installer didn't have any issues with blockages or that cross member.

I don't what the difference is between the coupe and the z midpipe, other than length. At first, I was a little disappointed. However, each time I've driven the car, the difference between now and before becomes more and more noticeable. After having it for a week, I can now tell a huge improvement from the driver's position. For a while, I could only hear the difference below 2k rpms. Now I can hear a slight drone, which I find attractive, all the way to 3k rpms.

Last Friday my wife drove the car, and I decided to sit in the backseat with my son. Sitting back there, it was like I was in a completely different car. It was downright loud compared to the front seat.

Old 07-19-2005, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by SixFive

Anyone see the Myth-busters where they dropped an axle on a moving car with a remote into a pothole and tried to catapult the car? It was pretty cool after 2 days of trying to get it right. THe thing lauched into the air and blew the thing apart pretty good.
I am going to put that cross bar on ASAP

Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
I just replaced my middy a week ago with a 350z middy. As far as I know, the installer didn't have any issues with blockages or that cross member.

Last Friday my wife drove the car, and I decided to sit in the backseat with my son. Sitting back there, it was like I was in a completely different car. It was downright loud compared to the front seat.
The back seat on the G is the loudest, the coupe is terrible, especially the road noise you hear in the back.

The 350z mid pipe is shorter, so that means the installer could have worked around the cross member when he was installing the pipe.

I should add, the car does sound good, especially if you get out and rev it. However, it is just extremely quiet for my taste. I think the coupe sounds perfect, the exhaust tone is only about half the level of the coupe in sound db comparison. My last car had only a muffler installed and it sounded great, it was even straight through muffler and I had a nice rumble but it never got annoying. I heard the borla yesterday on HOO-MANs car and it sounded awesome, if I decide to save for a real exhaust, that is what I would get.