G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Amsoil Remote Bypass Filter & Pre-Oiler Install - In progress (lots of photos)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 04:15 AM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Amsoil Remote Bypass Filter & Pre-Oiler Install - In progress (lots of photos)

So I am almost done installing an Amsoil BMK13 and Pre-Oiler unit into my 05 G35 6mt sedan w/ 86 miles. (76 of which I put on myself

Here are some install pics (I will be posting a bunch more as I complete the install):

EDIT: now there is a complete write-up:

http://www.g-owners.com/article_read.asp?id=51

Last edited by bythabay; 08-17-2005 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:36 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
good looking install...

r u a math or science major by the way? blue tape around the top of the grill to prevent scratches from removing two clips? geez louise...and I thought I was ****

Old 07-25-2005, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by drsifu1
good looking install...

r u a math or science major by the way? blue tape around the top of the grill to prevent scratches from removing two clips? geez louise...and I thought I was ****
I'm a CS major. I figured I didn't even want to take the car apart because it's got under 100 miles with virgin paint - I just didn't wanna mess it up

Old 07-25-2005, 04:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much does this cost? Are the benefits that significant?

Old 07-25-2005, 04:21 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Aren't you worried about a parking lot mishap taking out your A/C condenser?

Old 07-25-2005, 04:39 PM
It works on my machine
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bythabay
I'm a CS major. I figured I didn't even want to take the car apart because it's got under 100 miles with virgin paint - I just didn't wanna mess it up
CS major here to. Been in the field for 10 yrs now, first 5 were cool second 5 well let say I've survived. What made you want to do CS when everything is going to India now?

Old 07-26-2005, 03:30 AM
Originally Posted by irony
How much does this cost? Are the benefits that significant?
The cost is around $500 for parts.

The main benefits are extended engine life and like-new engine performance for much longer than without the pre-oiler and bypass. You don't have to get both the pre-oiler and the bypass, you can get either one or the other. The bypass alone would run you about $200

In-fact, when I perform my oil analysis, I am positive I will have the best results on this board.

Another cool benefit is that you can forget about changing your oil pretty much altogether - well, not without performing an oil analysis or two.

Anyways, I just finished the install and I have added bunch more parts (like a sampling petcock).

I will post the rest of the pics soon, including how the system actually hooks up to the engine itself.

Last edited by bythabay; 07-26-2005 at 03:36 AM.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:33 AM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
Aren't you worried about a parking lot mishap taking out your A/C condenser?
The way I see it:

A: insurance will cover it
B: first it will go through the radiator (then there are a few more inches to the condenser)
C: there is as much clearance behind the unit as there is on all the other items mounted in front of the radiator

I believe the benefits of the system are well worith it (to me at least)

Old 07-26-2005, 03:36 AM
Originally Posted by MrBig
CS major here to. Been in the field for 10 yrs now, first 5 were cool second 5 well let say I've survived. What made you want to do CS when everything is going to India now?
I really enjoy the subject - I just can't picture myself doing anything else.

Old 07-27-2005, 01:05 AM
IQ9
You would hope your insurance company will choose to cover that non-factory modification. I wish you the best but don't count on an adjuster just writing you a check and saying well too bad for us,I guess we just pay for everything-even the stuff we knew nothing about nor charged premium for. Hope you never have to file a claim or have any accidents but be aware.

Old 07-27-2005, 02:23 AM
Originally Posted by IQ9
You would hope your insurance company will choose to cover that non-factory modification. I wish you the best but don't count on an adjuster just writing you a check and saying well too bad for us,I guess we just pay for everything-even the stuff we knew nothing about nor charged premium for. Hope you never have to file a claim or have any accidents but be aware.
If they don't pay for it, that's okay; it's a risk I'm willing to take. This oil stuff isn't just what it seems to be... it's a hobby of mine. Some kind of oil obsession. I love reading about it, working with it, and researching different aspects of it

Old 07-27-2005, 08:27 AM
Premier Member

I am a Amsoil Dealer and would have gotten one of these if I really thought it was worth the money over a Amsoil filter or any good filter. Main reason I say this is because that kit will raise your oil PSI up due to more resistance. Which is not a good thing.

Old 07-27-2005, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by G35_TX
I am a Amsoil Dealer and would have gotten one of these if I really thought it was worth the money over a Amsoil filter or any good filter. Main reason I say this is because that kit will raise your oil PSI up due to more resistance. Which is not a good thing.
"would have gotten one of these if I really thought it was worth the money over a Amsoil filter" - these are both amsoil filters.. one is a standard filter (just has larger capacity) and the other is an amsoil filter which filters the oil doesn to 1/10 of a micron. Only a small amount of the oil flows through the bypass filter at any one time since it is very restrictive.

Well actually, it rarely changes the PSI (depends on installation) and when it does, it usually lowers the psi going into the engine and only by under 1 psi. I have read numerous articles and reviews in various industrial type oil journals and other online source (such as bobistheoilguy.com) supporting the use of bypass systems. I have not seen a single used oil analysis which has not benefited from the use of a bypass system. Call any oil analysis lab (and I did) and they will tell you that if you want to get the most life from your engine, you should go with a bypass system. Not only will you be able to extend drains and increase oil capacity, but you will also be able to extend engine performance and reliability.

here is a link to one that gets mailed to me (you can sign up for free)
http://www.noria.com/

The studies I have read have shown - CONSISTENTLY - that bypass systems increase engine life in both industrial and automotive applications. This begs the question

"why don't cars come from the factory with bypass systems installed?"

my answer... it's impractical for the average consumer.

Last edited by bythabay; 07-27-2005 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:12 PM
Here is some info from the Amsoil website:

The AMSOIL By-Pass Oil Filter provides the best possible filtration protection against wear, oil degradation, rust and corrosion. Working in conjunction with the engine’s full-flow oil filter, the AMSOIL By-Pass Filter operates by filtering oil on a "partial-flow" basis. It draws approximately ten percent of the oil at any one time and traps the extremely small, wear-causing contaminants and water that full-flow filters can’t remove. The AMSOIL By-Pass Filter typically filters all the oil in the system several times an hour, so the engine continuously receives analytically clean oil.

Old 07-28-2005, 01:28 PM
All the photos of the install are up. I was amazed at how the pre-oiler works. You can literally hear oil gushing throughout the engine after the pre-oiler is activated - then you start the engine

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Amsoil Remote Bypass Filter & Pre-Oiler Install - In progress (lots of photos)