G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Anyone say "no thanks" to the dealer wash?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always say no thanks to wash. The service adviser is very understandable and actually they like it that way because it is less job for them.

Old 08-23-2005, 05:19 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by big daddy d
You have to take the car in clean. I mean spotless .
That way they get the sense that you respect your car. Then they will too.
They'll get in and think "whoa, this guy is **** - I better be careful". Also, they know then that you pay attention to your car and know your car and they will be more careful cos if they f' it up you'll tag em for it.

Too many people take their car in dirty thinking that the mechanics will get it dirty anyway. Then the shop thinks "He treats his car like dirt so why don't we do the same". It's not a conscious thought mind you, but it's there.

By taking it in immaculate you are showing them what your expectations are.
I sent it in perfect...I want it back the same way.
This is absolutely 100% TRUE! The few times I've taken my car in (e.g. warranty work) I use Griot's Speed Shine to make it look even cleaner than I normally keep it, and the dealer staff (I mean from the service advisor to the mechanic to the gopher) all verbally talk to themselves about how great I keep the car and I must love my car blah blah blah. I see them handle the car very gingerly and with a very different and respectful attitude compared to the others.

Old 08-23-2005, 06:09 PM
NO WAY!
On my previous car - an SUV, I once watched them hose down my already spotless car. Great. I then watch as this "helper" (dealer prided themselves on hiring handicapped/special needs personnel) leaned against the rear hatch to dry above the rear window. He has on this exposed big-a$$ belt buckle that in the 15 seconds it took me to stop him puts about 3 six inch long scratched in the hatch. All the way thru the clearcoat to the color. Service manager comes out to stop me from telling this person to stop. I show him the results, and he apologizes telling me that the person drying my car doesn't know any better. I go on to explain that I do not fault the dryer - I fault him for not providing either supervision or prior inspection. This belt buckle was so large I could have opened beer bottles with it! Long story short - they try to buff it out but it is too deep and they hesitated to repaint claiming it would never look the same. Last time I ever went to John Hine in San Diego's Misson Valley for service. I have since told every dealer to skip the wash - I'd rather them not risk it.

sd_diver

Old 08-23-2005, 06:26 PM
Man, lots of horror stories. Anyone get a decent wash by the dealer?

Old 08-23-2005, 07:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jawjaw
Man, lots of horror stories. Anyone get a decent wash by the dealer?
Well, like I said in an earlier post, the last time they did mine, it was pretty good, even the wheels were very clean, I may still request no wash, but I did this time too, and somehow it got washed anyway, but I didn't say anything since it was such a good job!

Old 08-23-2005, 08:11 PM
hmm..maybe ill just have them do my wheels and get the brake dust off ..you think they will do just the wheels?

haha its probably pointless though

Old 08-23-2005, 09:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sd_diver
NO WAY!
On my previous car - an SUV, I once watched them hose down my already spotless car. Great. I then watch as this "helper" (dealer prided themselves on hiring handicapped/special needs personnel) leaned against the rear hatch to dry above the rear window. He has on this exposed big-a$$ belt buckle that in the 15 seconds it took me to stop him puts about 3 six inch long scratched in the hatch. All the way thru the clearcoat to the color. Service manager comes out to stop me from telling this person to stop. I show him the results, and he apologizes telling me that the person drying my car doesn't know any better. I go on to explain that I do not fault the dryer - I fault him for not providing either supervision or prior inspection. This belt buckle was so large I could have opened beer bottles with it! Long story short - they try to buff it out but it is too deep and they hesitated to repaint claiming it would never look the same. Last time I ever went to John Hine in San Diego's Misson Valley for service. I have since told every dealer to skip the wash - I'd rather them not risk it.

sd_diver
They fix it? I would have raised hell. The dealer damaged my front bumper and after a new one was painted and installed there was a small scratch. They paid for someone to come in and do a spot job on it. I couldn't even tell it had been painted. I think the bill said $240....but it was for them to pay, not me.

Old 08-23-2005, 09:50 PM
"Anyone say "no thanks" to the dealer wash?"

Yes, I also say no to the women in short skirts on the sidewalk who want to provide services. Same principle.

Old 08-23-2005, 10:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KayGee56
hmm..maybe ill just have them do my wheels and get the brake dust off ..you think they will do just the wheels?

haha i also want them to just wash my wheels to get rid of that brake dust.......but i worry those idiots will overspray and stuff on the body panels and f up drying that........

how do u get rid of those stubborn brake dusts?

Old 08-23-2005, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by CarFanatic56
haha i also want them to just wash my wheels to get rid of that brake dust.......but i worry those idiots will overspray and stuff on the body panels and f up drying that........

Accelerate through the yellow lights!

Last edited by big daddy d; 08-23-2005 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Sawdigga quality spelling
Old 08-23-2005, 10:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dont like their wash so i skip it i only tell them to wash my wheels cuz its hard to get all the brake dust off and they do a pretty good job.

Old 08-23-2005, 11:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CarFanatic56

You obviously never owned an '04 or '03 if you think there is brake dust on an '05, I have, and the dust on my '05 is almost non-existent, the '04 was bad!

Old 08-24-2005, 05:19 AM
Haha I think you guys over-worry about the look of the car, it is just a car. Women worry about their own look, and men worry about their cars' looks.

Old 08-24-2005, 08:09 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by KayGee56

Don't do it.
I know of more than one member here that have had wheels messed up,
with dealers using the wrong cleaning products.

Some tire & wheel cleaning products will eat your wheel finish.

Old 08-24-2005, 09:06 AM
Looks like I'm in the minority here, but I have not had any problems with the dealer washing my car. The wheels are OK too. It's Brilliant Silver, so things like swirl marks wouldn't be noticeable. I probably wouldn't want the dealer to wash it if it was black.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone say "no thanks" to the dealer wash?