G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

1300 miles,oil 1/2 full!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1300 miles,oil 1/2 full!

I just measured my oil level. is about 1/2 full, 05 6MT has only 1315 miles and engine sounds a bit rough at higher RPM. I drive G normal; is this normal or am I going to have an oil consumption problem? I didnt check the oil gauge when I bought new. May be i should switch to synthetic ASAP.

Old 08-28-2005, 11:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
From my experience, it is normal to use some oil during break in, not every car does it, but the one's I've had do it, don't burn any after the break in period!

Old 08-28-2005, 11:29 PM
I have the same car, with 1200 miles, just checked the oil this afternoon and all is gut. I would keep a close eye on it, and make sure that stupid dipstick is in all the way.

Old 08-28-2005, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator
After 3 months, my G has some 5400 miles on it, now. I changed the oil at 1200 miles. I was told that the oil level was about 2 qts. low at that change. About some 800 miles later, upon morning warm-up, I heard valve train chatter. I took my G to the dealer right away. At that time, I was told that I was about 1.5 qts. low on engine oil.

My car was put on an engine oil consumption test. After another 1k, the oil level was 1/2 pint low. After the 2nd 1k reading it was 1/2 pint low. I bring my G back in another 500 miles. I have a feeling that some of our cars tend to burn a large amount of engine oil during the break-in period. In any event, after my next oil level reading, Infiniti will be notified of the results and remedy/action will be taken, if so required.

Just to be on the safe side, I would suggest having your G checked out. I hope that everything is fine with your G.

Old 08-28-2005, 11:47 PM
This is not normal for these engines. The G is my fourth car with this motor, and I have never had oil comsumtion problems. I changed the oil in my Alti today (55,000 miles) and the oil level was perfect. BTW, although I've heard oil consumption is normal during break in, I've never experienced it with the VQ35.

Old 08-29-2005, 12:16 AM
Question

Originally Posted by AgisA
I just measured my oil level. is about 1/2 full, 05 6MT has only 1315 miles and engine sounds a bit rough at higher RPM. I drive G normal; is this normal or am I going to have an oil consumption problem? I didnt check the oil gauge when I bought new. May be i should switch to synthetic ASAP.
I'm curious. How did you determine your engine's 1/2 full of oil. I would think that if it were half full there would be no oil showing on the dip stick. When I change my engine oil and have added 5 quarts the level is about half way between L and H in the crosshatched section of the dip stick.

Old 08-29-2005, 01:34 AM
Originally Posted by DaveO
I'm curious. How did you determine your engine's 1/2 full of oil. I would think that if it were half full there would be no oil showing on the dip stick. When I change my engine oil and have added 5 quarts the level is about half way between L and H in the crosshatched section of the dip stick.
It is exactly 1/2 way between L and H. May I am OK. I thought that if it is full, dip stick would be at H.
Thanks for your feedback.

Old 08-29-2005, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator
It is exactly 1/2 way between L and H. May I am OK. I thought that if it is full, dip stick would be at H.
Oh no . . . You're oil level is sweeet. Try reading the dipstick with no oil on it. Now, that's scary. Enjoy your ride.

Old 08-29-2005, 07:47 AM
Think of it this way (not trying to be a smarta$$)...

H = High
I...
J = JUST RIGHT
K
L = Low

When in doubt, refer to your ABC's... Your oil level appears to fine. If still in doubt, just keep on eye on and check it every few days.

Enjoy the ride!

Old 08-29-2005, 08:38 AM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by ABQ_G35
From my experience, it is normal to use some oil during break in, not every car does it, but the one's I've had do it, don't burn any after the break in period!

Not on any car. Not that MUCH oil. My 05 didn't use a bit of oil and I now have 4400 miles with Amsoil in since 3k.

There is a problem, I would take the car in immediately.

Edit: Ah see it was resolved. Good job guys.

Last edited by G35_TX; 08-29-2005 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:51 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Agreed. Most cars will show "L" or indicate nothing on the dipstick if you're 1-2 QTs low. If it's really low, the oil light should come on.

Old 08-29-2005, 06:37 PM
I have broke in a few engines with no oil consumption. I just checked mine I have 2700 miles on my car and the oil level looks good. It is hard to tell if your getting an accurate reading with the messed up dipstick design. Infiniti needs to redesign this system.

Old 08-29-2005, 08:31 PM
Just to clear things up, you're roughly one quart low at the bottom of the indicator line on the dipstick. So AgisA, at worst you're about a half-quart down. The '05 VQ35 in your G holds five quarts, so you've got plenty of juice in the sump.

I'll disagree with the folks who say the VQ35 doesn't burn a little oil here and there. There are hundreds of posts all over the web from owners with this engine in their Altimas, Maximas, G35s, 350Zs, FX35s, etc. who report oil consumption. My '02 Altima 3.5 burned about a half to three-quarters of a quart between 3500-mile changes. Nothing to be concerned about, but a little annoying nonetheless. My G35 burned a little less than a quart in its first 3000 miles. Again, hardly anything to get worked up about when most manufacturers will chalk up anything less than one quart per 1000 miles as "normal" consumption for warranty purposes. (Don't try to sell me that level of consumption is okay, though. There's something mechanically wrong with your engine if it's sucking down a quart every 1500 miles unless you're driving a rotary.)

A few folks here have had catastrophic results due to excessive oil consumption and poor maintenance habits, i.e. failing to check their oil level between dealer oil changes. The good news is that Nissan has stood behind their customers in these cases and provided repairs, even providing new short blocks on occasion. Nonetheless, even if you'd rather leave the maintenance to your dealer -- and there's nothing wrong with that -- you still need to check your oil regularly in your G35 to keep a minor issue from turning into a major one.

Old 09-14-2005, 04:20 AM
Well we can add another car to this list.

I was driving today and had to brake hard because of some ***** and noticed a red light blinked in the gauge cluster. I pulled over and checked my oil. To my surprise the dipstick was reading below low. This is on a 05 X with just 7k on the odometer.

Before some of you start flaming me because I have not checked my oil every week let me say this. I own 2 other cars that run 30psi of boost(well one was just sold) and I got sick of checking the oil,EGT,fuel press. etc and decided I want to buy a car that I can check my oil once in a while without issues. I just got sick of living under the hood and wondering if Im gonna make it home or not sometimes. LOL
I wanted a worry free car and since I love Nissans I got a 05 G35X.

Hopefully this will be easy unlike what CRU had to go through. I also have a CAI(Nismo though) and Stillen exhaust, but my Infiniti mechanic use to work @ the shop where my race car was worked on so he is cool with me and that should help. They saw my CAI already so Im not gonna put the stock box back in. Hey its a Nissan part which I purchased @ a Infiniti dealer...lets see them argue this one.

Wish me luck!!!

Old 09-14-2005, 08:10 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
Originally Posted by nr2134
Hopefully this will be easy unlike what CRU had to go through. I also have a CAI(Nismo though) and Stillen exhaust, but my Infiniti mechanic use to work @ the shop where my race car was worked on so he is cool with me and that should help. They saw my CAI already so Im not gonna put the stock box back in. Hey its a Nissan part which I purchased @ a Infiniti dealer...lets see them argue this one.

Wish me luck!!!
Good luck!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 1300 miles,oil 1/2 full!