G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Car and Driver - $35,000 Sport Sedans

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car and Driver - $35,000 Sport Sedans

Look at the result for the G35, man, at least I thought it would come in second, but hey, still top three.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=9993

Old 09-19-2005, 08:05 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Ya, there are like 4 threads about that article. To sum it up, the IS350 gets numbers that are likely totally un-reproducable on earth, and the 330i wins based on faulty math (add the numbers up), and another subjective "fun to drive" category made up by the C&D testers. Nevermind the fact that they spent 2/3rds of it's page complaining about electrical problems. I love it when my car decided to bomb @ 70mph. Oh, I shouldn't forget to mention that the as tested prices of #1 and #2 were both $5K+ more than the title indicates when it says "$35,000 sedan". Maybe next year they'll test the BMW against the GS and the M45? Oh, and lines like these "We assumed you would buy a Boxster if you didn't need the rear doors" truly emphasize how awesome C&D is. Yes, because a Boxster is $35,000, right? Oh wait, neither are 8 of the cars in this test.

Listen to how bitter I sound, it's awesome. Go Car & Driver.

Last edited by Picus; 09-19-2005 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:10 PM
GearheadsAnonymousFounder
lol ... the car starts flippin out on them and they still like it. it wont stop when they ask it to. the AC didnt work well. seems like half the **** they were measuring didnt work, but u gotta love the folks at C&D for their undying love of the 3 series. i thought the IS should have been first in that group, followed by either the G or 3 series. for gods sake they were saying how much the interior of the three series was horrible and cold, and that the IS was perfect. still dont understand how they can continue to pass this off. someone over at C&D is getting really wealthy with BMW money.

Old 09-19-2005, 08:13 PM
Staff ALUMNI
They pass it off based on their made-up fairy land "fun to drive" categories. Listen, I am no fool - I won't argue that the 3 series isn't a joy to drive, but the dash would have to give me a bj to make up for all the really glaring things that are wrong with that car. OK, I will shut up now.

Old 09-19-2005, 08:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IMO, 3rd place is still pretty good, since the G35 is going into it's 4th year, and the BMW and IS are new models, like they said
Originally Posted by Car and Driver
Once, the G35 could have won this test. Now it's aging into third place, and it has nothing to be ashamed of.

Old 09-19-2005, 08:26 PM
Can someone tell me where I can buy IS350 or 330 packed like the G35 for $34K?? Love to buy one at this price!!! Those C&D guys are in fairy land.

Old 09-19-2005, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by picus112
the dash would have to give me a bj to make up for all the really glaring things that are wrong with that car.
Ummm... any idea when this option will be available?!?

Old 09-20-2005, 12:32 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
HMMMMM, Can't wait to see how INFINITI responds to the IS350 performance benchmark!!!! I drool at the thought!! It should = or surpass performance and HP ratings--if they are smart.

Old 09-20-2005, 01:02 AM
car and driver almost always will put the bmw ahead of other like cars. That is just what they do. As far as fun to drive. I've driven my buddy's '06 330i, not fun to drive. Sure it is as fast and handles as well as the G, but has lost some of the driver feedback that bmw is famous for and not really any better than the outgoing model. As for the lexus, can you say ringer. The lexus website quotes a 0-60 time of 5.6, and car and driver gets a half second better. Thats like adding 50 horsepower or putting on drag slicks. Just like how some of the early hemi dodges looked really fast, then some of the magazines started testing them off the lot, and they were'nt as fast. Mazda did the same thing with their horspower rating on the rx8. Car companies cheat whenever they can to sell cars, always take horsepower, 0-60, and skidpad claims with a grain of salt. Also, don't always believe one magazines test, always look at a couple different magazines and take the average.

Old 09-20-2005, 11:14 AM
the best review

Go drive all 3 on the same day and see if that 5k is worth it. Thats the best way to really get a feel for everything, all mags have a slight bias (or in some cases a ridiculous one). I ended up driving a TSX, TL, G35 all on a similar day and helped me decide the G was the way to go.

On another note, has anyone here been to that Lexus IS350 driving event? I am signed up for one in Atlanta and wondering what to actually expect.

Old 09-20-2005, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by scdgoofy
Ummm... any idea when this option will be available?!?

That option only works when the car is being test driven or leased. Once you buy it, for some reason seems uninterested in performing that option.

Last edited by tonyj; 09-20-2005 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:33 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Originally Posted by erikill
Go drive all 3 on the same day and see if that 5k is worth it. Thats the best way to really get a feel for everything, all mags have a slight bias (or in some cases a ridiculous one). I ended up driving a TSX, TL, G35 all on a similar day and helped me decide the G was the way to go.

On another note, has anyone here been to that Lexus IS350 driving event? I am signed up for one in Atlanta and wondering what to actually expect.
I'm going to one tomorrow. There is a thread about a member who went to one recently in another forum (sorry, can't recall which..maybe off topic/other cars?). Looks like it will be fun. They are supposed to have 6 IS250/350's at the one tomorrow so hopefully I'll be able to take a 350 out.

Old 09-20-2005, 12:21 PM
This article reads like my test list before I bought the G (except for the 350). Funny how C&D always puts BMW at the top - but I think it is what everyone expects and it would turn the sport sedan world on it's head if it wasn't there! (wars, famine, plage and such...)

They rate the 3 the highest, with the worst problems and numbers from different road tests?

They rate the 350 second, but criticized its drivability with all the computer assisted nonsense.

Then they give the G props for being great, but aging.

Okay - I'll take aging please!

Personally - I, like many others on this board, favored the TL interior, 3 performance, and the G's ability to have equal or just a hair less of both...but in one car! All this for a $35k car that actually has an option package! Sold.

Old 09-20-2005, 12:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This comparison is so flawed it isn’t even funny.

1. 35K sedan means the can should be able to be bought for and not base for 35K. Can’t get a 330i or lexus for $35K then you have to test the IS 250 and BWM 325i
2. If a car breaks down during the test, that’s a DNF. Jeff Gordon doesn’t get the trophy when his car breaks down just becuase he has won races on a previous occasions. He gets to go home empty handed and that’s what the BMW should have got. You know that the cars given to a magazines for testing are checked and double checked by the manufacturers. BMW gets a big fat “F” for their effort.
3. Testing in the “High Dessert” means they were probably at elevation and 100 degree heat doesn’t produce the best performance numbers.
4. I could go on.

Old 09-20-2005, 03:00 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by shodog
This comparison is so flawed it isn’t even funny.

1. 35K sedan means the can should be able to be bought for and not base for 35K. Can’t get a 330i or lexus for $35K then you have to test the IS 250 and BWM 325i
2. If a car breaks down during the test, that’s a DNF. Jeff Gordon doesn’t get the trophy when his car breaks down just becuase he has won races on a previous occasions. He gets to go home empty handed and that’s what the BMW should have got. You know that the cars given to a magazines for testing are checked and double checked by the manufacturers. BMW gets a big fat “F” for their effort.
3. Testing in the “High Dessert” means they were probably at elevation and 100 degree heat doesn’t produce the best performance numbers.
4. I could go on.
I completely agree. However, the article wouldn’t have been as exciting if it was just between a G35 and the TL now would it. I like the fact that they put the 330i and the IS350 on a pedestal. Now everyone who cares about image will go out and buy those cars. That will cause Infiniti to raise the bar even higher on the next G35 or G38. In the meantime you can pick up some pretty stupid deals on an 05 Sedan because Infiniti dealers keep getting more and more in even though the 06’s are just around the corner.

I bet the next Infiniti G35 or what ever it will be called has already won the first comparison that it will enter even before it is built! Infiniti has probably already lined up all of the advertising dollars that will be required to buy that victory. That is unless the next G35 or G38 is so incredible that it actually can win on merit alone! I can see the headline now. “New G38 is so damn good BMW couldn’t pay us enough to place them first!”

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver - $35,000 Sport Sedans