Old 09-21-2005, 08:14 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Rear View mirror Buzz/Rattle FIXED

Found a quick fix that seems to work HERE

Old 09-22-2005, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I used speaker grill cloth, thin and about 3/8" wide around the edge of the glass, and shoved it in with a tiny screw driver. Now my ears hurt from trying to make the mirror vibrate with loud bassy music. I give up, my rattles are all gone. I love my G.

Old 09-22-2005, 04:45 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
It doesn't take much....
Any kind of wedge to put some pressure on the frame.

Isn't amazing how good the silence feels now

Old 09-22-2005, 06:10 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Found a quick fix that seems to work HERE
My rear view mirror shakes too on the highway. Local streets are usually fine. But when I try to see what's loose, it seems like it's the whole assembly starting from the plastic coming out from the windshield. Is that what your issue is? I am not sure if doing what you suggested would fix my problem or do we have different mirror shaking problem?

Old 09-22-2005, 08:00 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Originally Posted by mikeee2
My rear view mirror shakes too on the highway. Local streets are usually fine. But when I try to see what's loose, it seems like it's the whole assembly starting from the plastic coming out from the windshield. Is that what your issue is? I am not sure if doing what you suggested would fix my problem or do we have different mirror shaking problem?
This more about noise from the mirror.
A buzy rattle.
For me it was just on less than smooth roads.

If you touch the frame the noise stops.

I don't have a shaking problem, other than the vibration when my sub is turned up

Old 09-22-2005, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
This more about noise from the mirror.
A buzy rattle.
For me it was just on less than smooth roads.

If you touch the frame the noise stops.

I don't have a shaking problem, other than the vibration when my sub is turned up
Gotcha. Then it's not the same issue I have then. Mines just shakes a bit during highway speeds. It doesn't make any noise.

Thanks...

Old 09-22-2005, 10:24 PM
Mikeee2, the vibration in my mirror was caused sometimes by the exaust note, bass from the music, and any other source of resonant sound which might cause the plastic around the perimeter of the glass to make noise. By stuffing something in between the glass and the plastic, the noise stopped.

If you can squeeze the mirror unit so that the glass is facing your palm, and the vibrating noise stops, I'd say you have my former problem. I was scared to open the mirror by separating the plastic section away from the major part of the apparatus, so I looked for a quick and simple solution.

I also found that the mirror, which had been TSB'd by the dealer to no avail, didn't seem to be attached too securely to the windshield mount. When I remounted, I made the screw secure, but not tight enough to fear the windshield cracking from extreme pressure, as remote as that may seem.

Good luck with isolating and irradicating your "shake". Damn if this ride isn't sweet when she's quiet.

Old 09-22-2005, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by 04_G35XPN
Mikeee2, the vibration in my mirror was caused sometimes by the exaust note, bass from the music, and any other source of resonant sound which might cause the plastic around the perimeter of the glass to make noise. By stuffing something in between the glass and the plastic, the noise stopped.

If you can squeeze the mirror unit so that the glass is facing your palm, and the vibrating noise stops, I'd say you have my former problem. I was scared to open the mirror by separating the plastic section away from the major part of the apparatus, so I looked for a quick and simple solution.

I also found that the mirror, which had been TSB'd by the dealer to no avail, didn't seem to be attached too securely to the windshield mount. When I remounted, I made the screw secure, but not tight enough to fear the windshield cracking from extreme pressure, as remote as that may seem.

Good luck with isolating and irradicating your "shake". Damn if this ride isn't sweet when she's quiet.
That does sound like the symptom. If i squeeze it with glass facing palm it stops vibrating. Hmm...maybe I should give it a shot.

Old 09-22-2005, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by mikeee2
That does sound like the symptom. If i squeeze it with glass facing palm it stops vibrating. Hmm...maybe I should give it a shot.

Also, it may be my immagination, but I seem to recall seeing the mirror vibrate with the music so that I was unable to see clearly. The cloth between the plastic and the glass seems to have minimized that. A couple of days ago after I did the job, I found myself checking the vision, and was able to see much more clearly. Depending on the bass in the music there is still a slight visual distortion, BUT NO NOISE FROM THE MIRROR.