G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Power Surge??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Surge??

I've searched the thread and can't find anything related to this. When I'm driving, either freeway or local road, and gun it for a brief instant, the car will start to accelerate as I hit the pedal, decelerate when I back off, but then suddenly lurch again even though I have not depressed the gas pedal. Cruise control is not engaged. Is this delayed re-acceleration normal? I would have thought the initial shot of gas I gave would have been spent in the initial surge before I backed off. All of this happens within a few seconds. Was going to mention it at my next service interval. Example circumstance: want to pass someone, start to, but then notice the patrol car sitting in the median a half mile away.

Old 09-22-2005, 12:31 PM
Is your a 6sp? Sounds like it's down shifting. Never happens on my 05 but I know it does that on Acura automatic tranmission. Maybe reset the ECU next time you are in service.

Old 09-22-2005, 12:39 PM
Thanks, What2Do...should have mentioned it's an automatic. I'm nervous about resetting the ECU based on what I've seen in this forum. People seem to be split as to whether you lose or gain performance and I'd hate to lose the performance I have...although I guess it would "relearn" it over time.

Old 09-22-2005, 12:40 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
yeah, sounds like you're hitting that sweet spot in the shift points...I wouldn't worry about it. It's probably because our cars are drive-by-wire and the time it takes for it to recognize your input and implement is just long enough to cause the "surge" or shift change.

Old 09-22-2005, 12:42 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Originally Posted by Ragtops4fun
Thanks, What2Do...should have mentioned it's an automatic. I'm nervous about resetting the ECU based on what I've seen in this forum. People seem to be split as to whether you lose or gain performance and I'd hate to lose the performance I have...although I guess it would "relearn" it over time.
you'll only LOSE power if you teach the car to drive like a grandma. My suggestion is, reset it, then go out and drive it like you stole it for 15 miuntes straight...then, the car should programs a more agressive map and you'll "find" power you didn't know you had.

Old 09-22-2005, 12:55 PM
Thanks, Randy. Will give it a try this weekend.

Old 09-22-2005, 12:59 PM
Try it on manualmatic mode. See if it surges while you depress the gas in the same gear.

Old 09-22-2005, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by Randys_G
you'll only LOSE power if you teach the car to drive like a grandma. My suggestion is, reset it, then go out and drive it like you stole it for 15 miuntes straight...then, the car should programs a more agressive map and you'll "find" power you didn't know you had.
Heck Yeah! That's what I'm talking about. Go out and beat the **** out of her.. She'll learn. (only works on a car, not a wife )

Old 09-22-2005, 02:53 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Ragtops4fun
I've searched the thread and can't find anything related to this. When I'm driving, either freeway or local road, and gun it for a brief instant, the car will start to accelerate as I hit the pedal, decelerate when I back off, but then suddenly lurch again even though I have not depressed the gas pedal. Cruise control is not engaged. Is this delayed re-acceleration normal? I would have thought the initial shot of gas I gave would have been spent in the initial surge before I backed off. All of this happens within a few seconds. Was going to mention it at my next service interval. Example circumstance: want to pass someone, start to, but then notice the patrol car sitting in the median a half mile away.
Any reason you don't want the dealer to address this? I mean it is a 04 and still under warranty right? Good luck.