G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Flip down TV for rear seat passengers in a Sedan?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 07:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flip down TV for rear seat passengers in a Sedan?

....a sedan with a sunroof - is this possible? I would like to get one of those units or flip down TV's with a remote DVD (under the seat) installed, but was told that because of the sunroof this cant be done.

Has anyone with a sedan with a sunroof installed a interior roof mounted flip down screen for your rear passengers? Please share your comments, thoughts, setup and picture if you have any.

Thanks for your help!!!

Old 09-30-2005, 08:04 AM
I have not seen one in a G35 with Sunroof, but I am sure you can.. why not just get new headrests with 7" LCDS in it and a dvd???

that way one person can watch a dvd while the other can play Xbox... and you are not putting holes in your headliner.

Old 09-30-2005, 08:08 AM
True, do you just replace the headrests? (If so where do you get them from?) or do they modify the existing headrests? Thanks!

Old 09-30-2005, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by jady
True, do you just replace the headrests? (If so where do you get them from?) or do they modify the existing headrests? Thanks!
You can have monitors installed in the factory headrests, or buy replacements with monitors in them. That way, you can put the stock headrests back in if you sell or trade your G. I forget the name of the company that I saw that sold the replacement headrests, but I saw them at Circuit City.

Old 09-30-2005, 09:13 AM
I had mine custom fitted into the existing headrest...looks cleaner and turned out very nice i think

Old 09-30-2005, 09:37 AM
Holy snap. Is it possible to use the stock nav screen to play dvds??? Is that what you have there? I'm assuming you would need an additional dvd player.... is that true?

Old 09-30-2005, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by JSlodown
Holy snap. Is it possible to use the stock nav screen to play dvds??? Is that what you have there? I'm assuming you would need an additional dvd player.... is that true?
Yes and Yes. You need another Source to play DVDs (stock unit wont play dvds) and you need a converter... try www.avelectronic.com Thats where i got mine...it works great!

They even provide a switch to toggle back n forth between Navi and DVD...really slick! I mounted mine under the hazard button...

Old 09-30-2005, 01:10 PM
those monitors seem to point up a little... are they adjustable enough to point down to a smaller passenger like... say..... a 3 yr old?

Old 09-30-2005, 05:57 PM
My horns hold up my halo
There is another thread on here somewhere that has some good responses that I got from a similar question. We looked into it and no the headrests don't tilt back any. On Everythingg35.com they have some that DO tilt but they aren't cheap. We opted to not go this route as the cost was going to be quite high and they said it would be nearly impossible to put a flip down style screen in with the sunroof that didn't affect visibility while driving. I am actually just looking at getting a portable DVD setup. A friend of ours has one that has two screens that can be "hung" on the backs of the seats with the player sitting on the floor/seat. Try going to a local shop that is good with car audio related stuff and they should be able to give you the largest number of options for your specific requests. Good luck!!

Old 09-30-2005, 06:05 PM
I also had my monitors installed directly on the factory headrests. The headrests do not tilt down, they actually have an upwards angle, but since the front seats are usually reclined the face of the monitor is almost level. If you are concerned with the little ones, don't they have to ride in a booster chair which I would think brings them up almost to adult eye level.

I also believe that they have headrest monitors that can tilt up/down to compensate. I'll see if I can find them online. Here's one of mine:

Here's an example of one that tilts

Last edited by mcastlejr; 09-30-2005 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:11 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Originally Posted by mcastlejr
I also had my monitors installed directly on the factory headrests. The headrests do not tilt down, they actually have an upwards angle, but since the front seats are usually reclined the face of the monitor is almost level. If you are concerned with the little ones, don't they have to ride in a booster chair which I would think brings them up almost to adult eye level.

I also believe that they have headrest monitors that can tilt up/down to compensate. I'll see if I can find them online. Here's one of mine:
What size is that monitor? Just curious but where do you have your DVD unit mounted?

We just put our kid in the seat like he would be when riding in the car and moved the seat until the headrest was basically straight in his line of sight. In my case that put the seat WAY too much out of wack for me to drive but that is going to be different on a case by case basis.

Old 09-30-2005, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by trey's wife
What size is that monitor? Just curious but where do you have your DVD unit mounted?

We just put our kid in the seat like he would be when riding in the car and moved the seat until the headrest was basically straight in his line of sight. In my case that put the seat WAY too much out of wack for me to drive but that is going to be different on a case by case basis.
That is a Nesa 7002 7" LCD monitor. My DVD player is my Eclipse 5435 Navi headunit that's installed (DD kit) where the stock radio used to be.

And yes, I guess you are right as to kids, some are bigger than others (that goes for adults too!). My girl is only 13 months old and she's not watching movies in the car yet .

Old 10-02-2005, 08:35 AM
Awesome Mario - hey, was that DD install/replace of the stock radio hard to do? Did you have it done professionally or were you able to do that yourself? I take it you got the parts for the DD conversion from J's Garage? Again, nice setup!!!

Old 10-02-2005, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by jady
Awesome Mario - hey, was that DD install/replace of the stock radio hard to do? Did you have it done professionally or were you able to do that yourself? I take it you got the parts for the DD conversion from J's Garage? Again, nice setup!!!
Thanks for the comps Jady! I did have the DD install professionally done since I did the whole sound system/alarm/lcd's done at the same time. And yes, I did get the DD kit from J's garage, really easy transaction and it took the parts no time to get here.