G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Questions regarding high RPM engine sounds when shifting?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions regarding high RPM engine sounds when shifting?

Hello to all. I hav an 05 sedan 6MT sedab. When shifting gears at or above 5000 RPM, i heard the engine wanting to keep on reving when I depress the clutch with the foot off the accelerator. The engine seems to keep on acclerating even though my foot is off the gas. I can only hear it when shifting above 5000 RPM,l and not below. Is this normal? Does it have anything to do with the electronic throttle that our cars have insead of a cable?

Old 10-10-2005, 08:07 PM
I noticed the same thing when i first got my 6mt coupe. I tried turning off VDC and it seemed to help that problem. i think its normal for this car. but not sure.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:33 PM
Fini, I did not find the VDC to interfere with the sound. It sounds like your foot is still in the gas pedal, when it actually is not. I have even waited a few seconds to depress the clutch pedal after releasing the gas pedal, but the sound is stll there above 5000 RPM.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:44 PM
I know that several here have 6MT cars. Please post if you have this situation occur on your car as well.

Old 10-10-2005, 10:09 PM
This is normal in hard shifting - I bet your timing is a bit off between the clutch and gas. Nothing noticeable in performance, just simply that the car's engine is still responding to your throttle signal when in fact you have already pushed the clutch in to dis-engage and shift. The RPM will shoot upward when the engine is not under heavy load with the same pressure on the pedal.

Old 10-10-2005, 10:13 PM
Can anyone confirm that it's not a feature to help smoothen out shifting? In other words, it gives the car a little bit of gas between gears on it's own?

Old 10-11-2005, 05:09 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What you are describing doesn't sound normal. My revs drop as soon as I let off the gas. There is a TINY amount of DBW lag but nothing like what you describe, and mostly noticeable when getting ON the gas, not off.

Old 10-11-2005, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by jerdubois
This is normal in hard shifting - I bet your timing is a bit off between the clutch and gas. Nothing noticeable in performance, just simply that the car's engine is still responding to your throttle signal when in fact you have already pushed the clutch in to dis-engage and shift. The RPM will shoot upward when the engine is not under heavy load with the same pressure on the pedal.

As a 6mt driver, I agree 100%

Old 10-11-2005, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by brasil
Fini, I did not find the VDC to interfere with the sound. It sounds like your foot is still in the gas pedal, when it actually is not. I have even waited a few seconds to depress the clutch pedal after releasing the gas pedal, but the sound is stll there above 5000 RPM.
No, my foot is off the gas pedal. I guess its just me then, cuz with the vdc off, i feel like the car behaves more like a mt should be.

Old 10-11-2005, 11:41 AM
I do not see the RPM's going up on the tach, but I hear a growl that sounds as if the throttle is still engaged.

Old 10-11-2005, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by brasil
Hello to all. I hav an 05 sedan 6MT sedab. When shifting gears at or above 5000 RPM, i heard the engine wanting to keep on reving when I depress the clutch with the foot off the accelerator. The engine seems to keep on acclerating even though my foot is off the gas. I can only hear it when shifting above 5000 RPM,l and not below. Is this normal? Does it have anything to do with the electronic throttle that our cars have insead of a cable?
Wow, now that I think about it, I experience the exact same thing. I wasn't sure if it was normal or not because I am a manual transmission noob.

Old 10-11-2005, 06:12 PM
Anyone else with the same situation? I am just trying to see if this is normal for this car or not. I have owned manual transmissions for most of my life, but none of the cars exhibited this characteristic.

Old 10-17-2005, 12:27 AM
shift noise

my 05 6spd had loud wirring noise when shifting above 3500rpm.at first ck up throwout bearing was replaced and noise is gone GOOD LUCK

Old 10-17-2005, 12:56 AM
Compared to other manual tranny cars I've had, the G does seem to hold onto it's revs longer... but they don't climb on their own.

It seems I remember reading that the ECU gives it a little gas even when you lift off from the pedal to help with emissions, causing the RPMs to fall off at a slower rate than you may be used to.

Old 10-17-2005, 09:56 AM
I am very close to my 1200 mile mark, so I am starting to explore some higher rpm fun. I have noticed a distinct growl from the engine between gears when shifting (5500+ rpm). My first thought was that my foot must have still been into the gas, so my next shift I made a point of taking my foot all the way off the pedal. Same noise.

This isn't my first manual (Mustang Cobra, SVT Contour, Prelude), so I'd like to think that it not my shifting.

If this noise is normal, so be it. It does sound pretty menacing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Questions regarding high RPM engine sounds when shifting?