G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

05 5AT mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2005 | 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by G35_TX
Obviously you haven't looked very well as usual. There are many dynos and 1/4 times out there if you actually look proving mods.

But, where is your data that backs up your claim on the so called 2-3 hp only gain from a switch to a electric fan mod? Because you have yet to do so. And I have seen the results of dynos that show good gains more than 3 hp easily with a electric fan conversion on the G35 and many other cars.
A) You find the 1/4 mile times for me. We've only had a "drag" forum here for less than a year. Prior to that, only a handful of Gs ever went to the track and posted their results. "BossSho" was the only guys that ever seemed to do any legitment testing. In a nutshell, I've searched and searched damn hard throughout this site since early 04. I'm not finding anything. Much of what I have to go off of is from 350Z forums. Simply put, most G drivers don't race their cars and that's fine. It does cause a bit of a dilemma when you want to find out what mods work and which ones don't.

B) Just exactly how much power do you think clutch driven saps when it's not engaged? When engaged, they typically suck out about 5whp on a 302-350 cu V8. When the clutch fan is engaged on the G, you know it because you can hear the moan. With that said, the only times it's on is at a stop on a hot day with the A/C or if the engine is really hot or sometimes when you first start the car. At all other times, the electric fan is doing the task and the clutch fan is simply freewheeling and hardly sucking out any power.

Secondly, if the clutch fan really saps 10whp like some would want you to believe, that means with the electric fans my 03 would have been seeing about 99mph in the 1/4 mile basically stock (Z-pipe = noise maker only). Point being, my bascially stock 03 with a clutch driven fan has already seen dang close to 98mph traps on three passes which is a recond for stock/most stock 5AT sedan of any year including 05s. This is also on track that sits at 1,000' and isn't known for it's quickness. I don't think that clutch fan is sucking out much power on the track or in general. People seem to think the clutch fan is always engaged. It's not.

C) End the whole "you've just got to search" stuff. It's BS, Russ and you know it. I know how to search a site and figure out search terms, etc. The data isn't there. Stop saying that it is. It gets really old. If you're so dang smart, you post up all these 1/4 miles and dyno links you seem to say are there.

Last edited by DaveB; 10-28-2005 at 12:14 AM.
Old 10-28-2005 | 08:41 AM
Premier Member
Premier Member
1) I am not your slave that has to do a seach for you. Do it yourself. You might learn something. It is out there.

2) From many cars to trucks it has been proven to gain a great deal of power. The G35 gained a good amount of power. DaveO proved this on dynos and his runs he posted a while back. You have yet to prove otherwise. So I have no clue why you keep argueing about this?

3) End the search stuff? LOL!!!!!!! If you actually did a seach you would find the reliable data for this info instead of argueing with me. Many here are sick of you and a few others. You haven't backed your claims on anything. Just from my experience in the Maxima days. If you want to go that far, I have more Maxima experience than you or your other pals here.

Originally Posted by DaveB
A) You find the 1/4 mile times for me. We've only had a "drag" forum here for less than a year. Prior to that, only a handful of Gs ever went to the track and posted their results. "BossSho" was the only guys that ever seemed to do any legitment testing. In a nutshell, I've searched and searched damn hard throughout this site since early 04. I'm not finding anything. Much of what I have to go off of is from 350Z forums. Simply put, most G drivers don't race their cars and that's fine. It does cause a bit of a dilemma when you want to find out what mods work and which ones don't.

B) Just exactly how much power do you think clutch driven saps when it's not engaged? When engaged, they typically suck out about 5whp on a 302-350 cu V8. When the clutch fan is engaged on the G, you know it because you can hear the moan. With that said, the only times it's on is at a stop on a hot day with the A/C or if the engine is really hot or sometimes when you first start the car. At all other times, the electric fan is doing the task and the clutch fan is simply freewheeling and hardly sucking out any power.

Secondly, if the clutch fan really saps 10whp like some would want you to believe, that means with the electric fans my 03 would have been seeing about 99mph in the 1/4 mile basically stock (Z-pipe = noise maker only). Point being, my bascially stock 03 with a clutch driven fan has already seen dang close to 98mph traps on three passes which is a recond for stock/most stock 5AT sedan of any year including 05s. This is also on track that sits at 1,000' and isn't known for it's quickness. I don't think that clutch fan is sucking out much power on the track or in general. People seem to think the clutch fan is always engaged. It's not.

C) End the whole "you've just got to search" stuff. It's BS, Russ and you know it. I know how to search a site and figure out search terms, etc. The data isn't there. Stop saying that it is. It gets really old. If you're so dang smart, you post up all these 1/4 miles and dyno links you seem to say are there.

Old 10-28-2005 | 12:31 PM
2) From many cars to trucks it has been proven to gain a great deal of power. The G35 gained a good amount of power. DaveO proved this on dynos and his runs he posted a while back. You have yet to prove otherwise. So I have no clue why you keep argueing about this?
Yeah, clutch fans suck out a ton of power. FYI, the Trailblazer SS with the 6liter LS2 is rated at 395hp. The same LS2 in the Vette is rated at 400hp. Chevy's response to why power is different in the SS? A heavyduty clutch driven fan which is more ideal for towing. I've seen the fan, it's nearly two times the size of my Gs plus the pulley/clutch system is massive and rightly so, it's a truck with a 2.5 liter larger motor and a much larger radiator.

Old 10-28-2005 | 01:11 PM
Don't drink and Mag Race
We all know the factory accurately rates every motor.......with no regards to marketing.

Unless you strap both vehicles to a dyno and do a side-by-side comparo, you are just mag racing again.

C'mon, Mr. mag racer.........tell me the SS Camaros and the 'Vettes of the same year really had a huge diff in HP. That's what Chevy said!!!!

Last edited by ChicagoX; 10-28-2005 at 08:40 PM. Reason: dead horse didn't need beating
Old 10-29-2005 | 01:40 PM
1) If you want to go that far, I have more Maxima experience than you or your other pals here.
DaveO has 8+ years of VQ experience as well... DaveB - I see a lot of your posts about Maxima, but remember guys like DaveO, G35_TX and others have a ton of experience with these motors! They have very valuable info and it's backed with research and testing.

People that get paid for their knowledge of the G35 must know something.

Old 10-29-2005 | 03:54 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
We all know the factory accurately rates every motor.......with no regards to marketing.

Unless you strap both vehicles to a dyno and do a side-by-side comparo, you are just mag racing again.

C'mon, Mr. mag racer.........tell me the SS Camaros and the 'Vettes of the same year really had a huge diff in HP. That's what Chevy said!!!!

Well, that's sort of true. If you strap a c5 and a fbody to the dyno, with the same engine, the f body is going to show more power. The IRS sucks up more power. Put them on the street and watch the c5 walk the f body. Taking out the variables of course.

This board is full of a bunch of dyno queens. If you want to check to see if a mod is working, take it to the track. It's that simple. There are to many variables with a chassis dyno. Hell, these cars don't make a ton of power and are not that hard to drive consistantly.

Old 10-29-2005 | 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by 2c5s
Well, that's sort of true. If you strap a c5 and a fbody to the dyno, with the same engine, the f body is going to show more power. The IRS sucks up more power. Put them on the street and watch the c5 walk the f body. Taking out the variables of course.

This board is full of a bunch of dyno queens. If you want to check to see if a mod is working, take it to the track. It's that simple. There are to many variables with a chassis dyno. Hell, these cars don't make a ton of power and are not that hard to drive consistantly.
The problem is there are variables to take into consideration when posting 1/4 ET too... for instance the closest 1/4 track here is 2700 elevation. The last time I ran temp was around 90 F. If I post that I ran 15.0 most people would think that’s slow, not realizing it equates to 14.5 at sea level in 90-degree weather.

To me, dynos and track times are best to compare other Gs at the same dyno or track that day. That way you can get an idea of how your car fairs with other Gs. I don’t race much but at 1/8 and ¼ mile tracks I’ve been at the top of VQs those days. But it’s difficult to determine how that fares with a Z or G in another state at another track.

I wish we could have a national or regional track day so we can all see who really has what. There are several people out here (will remain nameless) that I would love to race!

Old 10-29-2005 | 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
DaveO has 8+ years of VQ experience as well... DaveB - I see a lot of your posts about Maxima, but remember guys like DaveO, G35_TX and others have a ton of experience with these motors! They have very valuable info and it's backed with research and testing.

People that get paid for their knowledge of the G35 must know something.
Same block, same heads, same cams, same basic ECU tuning, same sensors shared across all VQ35s save for the Rev-Up which has a couple differences. I've been dealing with VQ35s since 2002.

Old 10-29-2005 | 09:00 PM
Thank you.

Old 10-29-2005 | 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
The problem is there are variables to take into consideration when posting 1/4 ET too... for instance the closest 1/4 track here is 2700 elevation. The last time I ran temp was around 90 F. If I post that I ran 15.0 most people would think that’s slow, not realizing it equates to 14.5 at sea level in 90-degree weather.

To me, dynos and track times are best to compare other Gs at the same dyno or track that day. That way you can get an idea of how your car fairs with other Gs. I don’t race much but at 1/8 and ¼ mile tracks I’ve been at the top of VQs those days. But it’s difficult to determine how that fares with a Z or G in another state at another track.

I wish we could have a national or regional track day so we can all see who really has what. There are several people out here (will remain nameless) that I would love to race!
You run what you run. It's as simple as that. A lot of people are too ignorant to understand that conditions play a major roll in the way a car runs. All you can go off of is what your car is doing on that particular track on that particular day. Pay NO attention to what Joe Blow is doing on another track. I correct my ET/MPH to density altitude (DA - altitude density of the air) so that I can remove atmospheric influences from the ET/MPH. From there, I can extract the data to determine if my car is running better or worse from a particular mod.

People just don't grasp the impact that barometric pressure, dew point, temp, and elevation plays when it comes to the way your car runs. My track sits at around 1000', but the calculated DA can vary from 1000' to 5000' to -300' depending on the conditions. Right now in the Kansas City (~1,200'), the DA is about -400' because we're experiencing low dew points, 50 degree temps, and a high baro pressure (30.20).

Old 10-29-2005 | 09:24 PM
Premier Member
Premier Member

Welcome back.

There is also a ton of variables at the track. Even more that are not controllable compared to a Dyno. Weather, track conditions, car conditions at that time, etc.

Old 10-29-2005 | 10:17 PM
Banned
Welcome back.

There is also a ton of variables at the track. Even more that are not controllable compared to a Dyno. Weather, track conditions, car conditions at that time, etc.

Welcome back... really. Did I go somewhere???? Nice try little man.
I see you have an excuse for everything. I also see from some other threads, you are just a magazine racer....... sad.

Old 10-30-2005 | 01:22 AM
|
05-G35 Sedan 5AT
05 mods.. 05 mods.. 05 mods

Like the title says,, 2005 mods.. I could care less about 04s and older,, I meant this thread to be for the owners on 2005 g35 sedans that have done mods so they can share what works and what doesnt..
there is a lot of BS in this thread that you guys are arguing about that has nothing to do with the 05 g35..
FAN CLUTCHS for example,, if you have an 05 look under the hood. THe hood is that big hatch on the front of the car that you can lift up to see the engine. If you look under there you will see that you have Electric fans,,, NO CLUTCH FANS!!
REmember, arguing in a forum is like running in the special olympics. even if you win, your still retarded..

Old 10-30-2005 | 03:16 AM
What applies to the 05 5AT applies to the 03/04 5AT. The truth is the 03/04 5ATs were actually making closer to 280hp, not 260hp. The fan clutch part is a moot point and I appoligize for that. However, all the other mods that are offered for the 03/04 5AT will net the same results when used on the 05 5AT

Old 10-30-2005 | 03:57 AM
Originally Posted by vegasG35sedan
there is a lot of BS in this thread that you guys are arguing about that has nothing to do with the 05 g35..
FAN CLUTCHS for example,,
Thank you for finally calling it a FAN CLUTCH and not a "clutch fan" (after-all we ARE AT).... I was biting my tongue with that through this whole thread but didn’t want to get into a pissing match.

Now I realize "pissing" is what some people come out here for!!!

For cryin' out loud people - we all own a F'ing VQ machine! Let's figure out a way to rip the competiion and not each other!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone that wants to stray from the G35 family and stand alone – stand up and call me out! I’ll do my best to meet you at your convenience and race HEADS UP!!!! (N/A ONLY!) We can out this "dyno queen/drag result" BS to rest!!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 05 5AT mods