Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2005 | 11:22 AM
EZZ
Originally Posted by Driver72
Comparing different drag strip tests from different tracks is about
as accurate and conclusive as comparing different dyno tests of
different cars from different dynos.
Which is to say...completely inaccurate and inconclusive.

You asked, "get over what?"
Once again I'll point out your justification response.
Next you'll be saying that the 2005 manual cars with 298 hp rating really got no power change either.
They got a power change for sure but they are also heavier. There is really no speed differences between any of the G35s. The fastest 03-04 sedan got 13.9xx in the 1/4th stock. The fastest 03-04 coupe also got the same 13.9xx stock. BTW, both the sedan and coupe that got these times were base models so were a bit lighter than the standard fare G35. Sure the 298hp have a bit more power but its also negated by a 50-100lb weight gain. I have no clue why the weight gain but Infiniti's own website has the sedan and coupe at higher curb weights for these cars. None have really performed any better than the older G35s.

Old 11-02-2005 | 11:40 AM
Comparing different drag strip tests from different tracks is about
as accurate and conclusive as comparing different dyno tests of
different cars from different dynos.
Which is to say...completely inaccurate and inconclusive.
The mags correct all times to standard conditions to help equalize the data.

You asked, "get over what?"
Once again I'll point out your justification response.
Next you'll be saying that the 2005 manual cars with 298 hp rating really got no power change either.
The 298hp cars do make more power above 6000rpms, but they loose power in the low to mid range. Since a car spends most of it's acceleration time in the midrange, the high rpm gains are negated by the mid range losses. In the end, Peak HP sells car. Power under the curve wins races.

Old 11-02-2005 | 11:52 AM
ENVautoDetailing.com
Premier Member
Hey Dave, why does it seem that when a thread gets high jacked you always seem to be at the bottom of it? You have an argument for EVERYTHING.

Old 11-02-2005 | 12:01 PM
Dave,

I agree with what you said.

But my point is, the 2005 cars DID get a power increase.
After looking at Infiniti's website, I've found the 05/06 cars auto sedans
now weigh 3468 pounds. The 03/04 cars weighed 3398.
70 pounds more for 05/06 cars.

Obviously with a redesign (no matter how minor) you're going to get
parts that weigh different than the original.
The 05/06's new front and rear probably weigh a bit more.
But where most of the weigh increase most likely is is in the drivetrain.
The new wheels could weigh more, I heard the 05's got slightly bigger brakes too. The changes (for the power increase) most likely added a bit of weight as well.
It would explain why for 03/04 the Coupe was listed as about 100 pounds heavier than the sedan.

The weight gain is offset by the power increase. So in "reality" the 05 car probably gained what would be equivalent of 10 hp and 5 ft-lbs of torque.

Plugging the numbers into CarTest get the following:

03/04 G35 sedan auto
1/4 in 14.68 @ 96.15

05 G35 sedan auto
1/4 in 14.49 @ 97.79

This would probably be equivalent to about 3/4 of a car length...or the
03/04 car's front bumper would be at the 05 car's rear door handle at the timing strip.

Hardly a difference that magazine tests conducted on different days with possibly different drivers will ever show, much less driver abilities at a drag strip.

But you can't increase the weight of a car by 70 pounds and make it run equal if not a bit faster without increasing power.
I have yet to see any magazine tests of the 05 G35 auto sedan. And haven't seen them at the local track yet. I will take mine soon, but unless there's essentially another stock 03/04 G35 auto sedan there on the same day, comparisons are useless.

What would be fun is to get a meet at various different tracks with 03/04 cars as well as 05's and compare. Of course, to be fair, cars would have to be basically stock or with the exact same mods for comparison purposes.

Old 11-02-2005 | 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by Gdup35sedan
Hey Dave, why does it seem that when a thread gets high jacked you always seem to be at the bottom of it? You have an argument for EVERYTHING.
People ask questions. I'll give them my answer. Some people don't like what I say because my answer may question the common norm. That's where the problems erupt.

Take a look through any of these Daveb highjacked threads and take notice who's the one that starts the problems. Take a look at who started the flames in this thread and offered nothing other than I'm just an idiot and don't understand the almighty G35.

Old 11-02-2005 | 12:10 PM
What would be fun is to get a meet at various different tracks with 03/04 cars as well as 05's and compare. Of course, to be fair, cars would have to be basically stock or with the exact same mods for comparison purposes.
I completely agree.

Old 11-09-2005 | 04:32 PM
Red Card Crew
Premier Member
Hi. Do I even know you? Although I don't mind being mentioned in the same light as DaveB (whom I find pretty subjective and though in research) I don't know if I had the pleasure in knowing who you are? Exactly on what basis are you taking random stabs at my integrity? My question is how do you know me? Or more specificly how do you know me well enough to lump me with Brian and Dave? Just because they happened to own maximas before, doesn't mean I know them or that they have similar characteristics?

And to add to this thread. After more than a few members have mentioned dyno and 1/4 mile proof being readily (I will assume) available, it's yet to be shown here. It's logical to assume if one states a mod is dyno or track proven, they would also mention the thread where that proof is located. If not as a courtesy to the person asking the question.

Originally Posted by DaveO
But wait Ted. Won't he need to check with BrainV, DaveB and Jeff92se to make sure the mods will work?

Last edited by Jeff92se; 11-09-2005 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-09-2005 | 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Hi. Do I even know you? Although I don't mind being mentioned in the same light as DaveB (whom I find pretty subjective and though in research) I don't know if I had the pleasure in knowing who you are? Exactly on what basis are you taking random stabs at my integrity? My question is how do you know me? Or more specificly how do you know me well enough to lump me with Brian and Dave? Just because they happened to own maximas before, doesn't mean I know them or that they have similar characteristics?

And to add to this thread. After more than a few members have mentioned dyno and 1/4 mile proof being readily (I will assume) available, it's yet to be shown here. It's logical to assume if one states a mod is dyno or track proven, they would also mention the thread where that proof is located. If not as a courtesy to the person asking the question.
You own a Maxima, Jeff, therefore you know nothing about cars especially the G35. Period. You have been blacklisted simply because of affiliation. Somehow Russ (G35_TX) and even DaveO himself (ex-Maxima owner) have escaped the Maxima-persecution though.

Old 11-09-2005 | 09:26 PM
Staff Alumni
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by DaveB
You own a Maxima, Jeff, therefore you know nothing about cars especially the G35. Period. You have been blacklisted simply because of affiliation. Somehow Russ (G35_TX) and even DaveO himself (ex-Maxima owner) have escaped the Maxima-persecution though.
I really don't want to get into the validity of the following claims, as I personally don't care, but I wanted to make sure they were articulated correctly. I don't think those persons have a problem with the fact you had a max. It has been explained to me that knowledge of the VQ in the max is not directly applicable/transferrable to the VQ in the g; differences being drivetrain (obviously), tuning specifics, etc.

Just take it for what it's worth.

Old 11-09-2005 | 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Not sure what specific mod you are referring to - but generally speaking, there are lots of post with 1/4 times and dyno posts (many identify the mods of the car)... unfortunately since the website bugs several weeks ago many images are botched. So unless all of us repost they are lost. If you go to the racing forum you will find track times. There are also several 1/4 mile and dyno threads in the So Cal forum.

There are too many so I doubt anyone would take the time to post links to all of them, but if you search you would find 'em.

Old 11-09-2005 | 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB
Rumor has it something similar happened on a Maxima forum... but apparently the "persecuting" was being done by the crowd that feels slighted here

I don't think anyone goes out of their way to stir things up with you - but it does seem visa versa... That's why you have received the backlash that you have at times. There aren't very many (if any) posts by you that don't constantly and relentlessly contradict, belittle and demean what is posted.

No one (few anyway) will dispute credible and subjective alternative views, but when an adverse opinion is flawed by misnomers and half-truths the opinion may meet resistance.

This site as a whole has a good reputation of quality mature members that share a common bond of our cars. I'd really like to see it get back more on that track.

Drama is just plain pointless. This will be the last one more than 30 seconds.

Old 11-09-2005 | 11:13 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Staff Alumni
Four pages - I wonder if the OP ever got the help he was looking for.

Old 11-09-2005 | 11:26 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Staff Alumni
Alright damnit - children to your respective rooms! Mama is pissed.

Now I have quite a bit of love for a few of you and others frankly i don't know that well. In this particular case you are all behaving quite badly IMHO.

This got started when it didn't need to be - I love ya to death but ya know ya did. I know why you started it but ya still started it!

As for the responses - they are just as irritating as they usually are.

DaveB - I saved this earlier because I knew there would come a time when I feel the need to call it out. Stop assuming you are the only one with the experience that you speak of. Do I believe you have it? Yeah. Do I think you and the few others you mention are the only ones? Absolutely not.

You have attacked DaveO as an editor and made a few snippy remarks in this thread about not being a magazine editor. I have a question for you - Have you ever read one of his articles? Can you prove *anything* he has said as wrong - with something other than opinion? I am smart enough to know there is a certain amount with cars that is subjective in regard to what people's preferences are. There are quite a few things that are not.

You do not have an '05 so let's just face the fact that your information is opinion or at least your opinion of the source of any information you have gotten. Guess what - I don't have an '05 AT. Know what that means - I wouldn't post anything on this thread - especially without expressly stating that it was an OPINION. Whether it is founded in logic or not, it is not gospel. If you would like to question anything these guys have said on the engines of the '04 or the '05 being different in these cars vs. the beloved Maxima let me know - I have the factory service manual and I would be THRILLED to look it up for you!

Like I said at the beginning - all of you to your rooms! Give it a rest so the guy can get the answers to his question. There are plenty of people on this forum who can give him insight.

Old 11-10-2005 | 12:12 AM
Red Card Crew
Premier Member
This is a bit odd. Especially when the VQ35 that resides in your G, is very, very similar to the VQ30. Displacement, the addition of VTCs in the intake cams and the drive by wire are the only major changes. In fact, this engine is almost identical to the 02+ maxima engines(Abeit some manifold and ecu tweaks). So IMHO, they are very related. Nissan is even still using the older OBDII diagnostics vs the CAN system that will be required in 07/08. I would say if one has intimate knowledge of the Nissan Maxima VQ30 and Maxima VQ35, they probably are already ahead of 60% or more of the G owners here. (ie.. if this is the first VQ powered car they own)

If you can specify any changes I haven't mentioned, I'd be very interested in hearing about it.

Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
. It has been explained to me that knowledge of the VQ in the max is not directly applicable/transferrable to the VQ in the g; differences being drivetrain (obviously), tuning specifics, etc.

Just take it for what it's worth.

Old 11-10-2005 | 12:15 AM
Red Card Crew
Premier Member
I have browsed though some dynos and one member was even kind enough to post his dyno of some specific mods. But my point is if one is going to flat out say xx mod is "proven" to make xx+ hp, it's common courtesy to back that specific statement with a dyno that proves it. Otherwise it's just talk.

Originally Posted by OCG35
Not sure what specific mod you are referring to - but generally speaking, there are lots of post with 1/4 times and dyno posts (many identify the mods of the car)... unfortunately since the website bugs several weeks ago many images are botched. So unless all of us repost they are lost. If you go to the racing forum you will find track times. There are also several 1/4 mile and dyno threads in the So Cal forum.

There are too many so I doubt anyone would take the time to post links to all of them, but if you search you would find 'em.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 05 5AT mods