G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

05 5AT mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 05:23 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by vegasG35sedan
Like the title says,, 2005 mods.. I could care less about 04s and older,, I meant this thread to be for the owners on 2005 g35 sedans that have done mods so they can share what works and what doesnt..
there is a lot of BS in this thread that you guys are arguing about that has nothing to do with the 05 g35..
FAN CLUTCHS for example,, if you have an 05 look under the hood. THe hood is that big hatch on the front of the car that you can lift up to see the engine. If you look under there you will see that you have Electric fans,,, NO CLUTCH FANS!!
REmember, arguing in a forum is like running in the special olympics. even if you win, your still retarded..
I'm relatively certain of your angle (meaning purpose of that retort)... but if I'm wrong I would suggest changing your view of non-interest in pre '05. Unless you have a MT you could benefit form what has been tried.

If you only want to hear from /05 owners... you'll be sitting a while (figuratively and literally).

In the mean time - wanna race

{I think I’m gonna make a new sig with the last sentence - mods, dynos and track times are apparently worthless}

Old 10-30-2005, 05:40 AM
Originally Posted by DaveB
Same block, same heads, same cams, same basic ECU tuning, same sensors shared across all VQ35s save for the Rev-Up which has a couple differences. I've been dealing with VQ35s since 2002.
Hmmm... no disrespect, but your only credentials are what you post out here. And unfortunately much of that opposes what what I have found to be true.

Dave, I am not doubting your experience by any means, but I have noticed that often you question (or more appropriately, try to contradict) track times, dyno results, performance tests, and general experienced insight that is posted out here.

If you really think it is a conspiracy or a bunch of BS, we should join together in an effort to determine pros and cons.

Is there any chance you will be in the Dallas, No Cal, or So Cal area in the next 4-8 months?

If so a friendly competition would be welcomed. I am not calling you out parse', but more your idea that certain mods and theories are worthless. I know you have a lot of track experience, and I have little... that should be incentive enough - no?

Some say it's the driver that wins the race, so if my N/A car can beat you in a 1/4 mile with what little experience I have, maybe you'll see another side of what's been said out here for a long time.

Let me know ~

Old 10-30-2005, 05:59 AM
Same block, same heads, same cams, same basic ECU tuning, same sensors shared across all VQ35s save for the Rev-Up which has a couple differences. I've been dealing with VQ35s since 2002.
All the same 'cept for Rev-up?... Wow ~ I would think after all these years Nissan would have progressed somehow

Do you still have your Maxima? Maybe my new-fangled G (non-"rev-up", so same motor of course) would be a good run against your Maxima?

Old 10-30-2005, 10:01 AM
05-G35 Sedan 5AT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35

In the mean time - wanna race
Actually yes.. I will be out at our track (www.lvms.com) this thursday night 11-4-05 to test my car and get a few runs in before I do any mods. I wanted to wait until I went over the 5000 mile mark..
Its "box stock" but it's all fun..

Old 10-30-2005, 10:49 AM
05-G35 Sedan 5AT
I'm relatively certain of your angle (meaning purpose of that retort)... but if I'm wrong I would suggest changing your view of non-interest in pre '05. Unless you have a MT you could benefit form what has been tried.

If you only want to hear from /05 owners... you'll be sitting a while (figuratively and literally).
Well I have been (used to be) a mechnic and a drag racer for many years. Mechanic professionally and racer for fun. But those were the good ol' days when even the cheapest of mods made improvements. I must admit however, that I know nothing (or very little) about the Infiniti powerplant except for what I read here. I dont mind reading about the <04 mods but I am interested if any of us found improvements in the 05 mods. I am talking about bolt-ons of course, not turbo or super charging or nitrous.
It seems to me that the 05 may be pretty modded out from the factory by squeezing the last available extra 15 ponies from the pre 05 motor. I couldnt tell you if it was from exhaust mods, intake, cams, heads or a combination of a lot of things.
THe 3 mods that I may try are the ECU mod (Technosquare) but they still dont list the 05 on their site, a tranny shift improver or valve body mod (shift kit for the ol school guys) and I just ordered the GroundingGear yesterday.

Last edited by vegasG35sedan; 10-30-2005 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:49 AM
Well I have been (used to be) a mechnic and a drag racer for many years. Mechanic professionally and racer for fun. But those were the good ol' days when even the cheapest of mods made improvements. I must admit however, that I know nothing (or very little) about the Infiniti powerplant except for what I read here. I dont mind reading about the <04 mods but I am interested if any of us found improvements in the 05 mods. I am talking about bolt-ons of course, not turbo or super charging or nitrous.
It seems to me that the 05 may be pretty modded out from the factory by squeezing the last available extra 15 ponies from the pre 05 motor. I couldnt tell you if it was from exhaust mods, intake, cams, heads or a combination of a lot of things.
THe 3 mods that I may try are the ECU mod (Technosquare) but they still dont list the 05 on their site, a tranny shift improver or valve body mod (shift kit for the ol school guys) and I just ordered the GroundingGear yesterday.
What does the Technosquare ECU mod accomplish?

Old 10-30-2005, 01:04 PM
05-G35 Sedan 5AT
Originally Posted by Teeter
What does the Technosquare ECU mod accomplish?
do a search for technosquare in the forums. there are a lot of posts on it.

Old 10-30-2005, 01:32 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Thank you for finally calling it a FAN CLUTCH and not a "clutch fan" (after-all we ARE AT).... I was biting my tongue with that through this whole thread but didn’t want to get into a pissing match.
Taken straight from Flex-a-lite:

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/clutch-fans.html

Fan clutch, clutch fan, potato, putat-o.

Do you still have your Maxima? Maybe my new-fangled G (non-"rev-up", so same motor of course) would be a good run against your Maxima?
No I sold my 96 Maxima with a VQ30 back in January. It ran 14.3s@100mph with a few NA bolt-ons (ECU, intake manifold, y-pipe) and relatively slow mid 2.2 60 foots. What's your G run?

Hmmm... no disrespect, but your only credentials are what you post out here. And unfortunately much of that opposes what what I have found to be true.

Dave, I am not doubting your experience by any means, but I have noticed that often you question (or more appropriately, try to contradict) track times, dyno results, performance tests, and general experienced insight that is posted out here.

If you really think it is a conspiracy or a bunch of BS, we should join together in an effort to determine pros and cons.

Is there any chance you will be in the Dallas, No Cal, or So Cal area in the next 4-8 months?

If so a friendly competition would be welcomed. I am not calling you out parse', but more your idea that certain mods and theories are worthless. I know you have a lot of track experience, and I have little... that should be incentive enough - no?

Some say it's the driver that wins the race, so if my N/A car can beat you in a 1/4 mile with what little experience I have, maybe you'll see another side of what's been said out here for a long time.

Let me know ~
I guess your definition of "truth" and "proof" differs from mine. Using Maxima.org, Altimas.net, 350Zdriver.com, G35driver.com, and personal experience helps me figure out what works and what doesn't on the VQ35. Sure, I'm not a writer of a magazine and I don't full blown testing of every mod, but you really need think about the sources that provide you with information. Many magazines do not give legitment results with many using the vendor's dyno or "under the table" issues like advertizing. On many occasions, magazines have shown gains and then independant testing has shown zilch.

I don't doubt the gains of plenums, spacers, true dual catbacks, ECUs, and some other mods, but things like UDPs, grounding kits, etc are highly suspect. I recieved my Grounding Gear kit 2 weeks ago and noticed absolutely no difference in shifting (which is why I bought it). Install is correct. I will eventually be buying a spacer, ECU, and maybe a catback, but money is somewhat limited since I'm the sole supporter for my wife and one-year old son. I hope to eventually run 13s with those mods. I'll be shooting for 14.2s@98mph+ in the next couple weeks when I venture out to my track in significantly colder air compared to when I ran my 14.4@97mph. The mods will be a Z-pipe and grounding kit (maybe, I might yank it).

As for racing, no I'm not going to be in Texas or Cali. Ever. You're more than welcome to come up to Kansas City in Novermber or meet me at Steele, Alabama in early 06 when I complete my transfer to Atlanta.

Old 10-30-2005, 01:48 PM
05-G35 Sedan 5AT
Taken straight from Flex-a-lite:

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/clutch-fans.html

Fan clutch, clutch fan, potato, putat-o.
Taken straight from the Flex-a-lite also:
http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/fan-clutches.html
I guess it depends if we are talking about the fan or the clutch

Old 10-31-2005, 12:39 AM
Taken straight from the Flex-a-lite also:
http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/fan-clutches.html
I guess it depends if we are talking about the fan or the clutch
Yeah, that was the point I was making. No one is right, no one is wrong.

Old 11-01-2005, 10:40 PM

I'm not a writer of a magazine and I don't full blown testing of every mod, but you really need think about the sources that provide you with information. Many magazines do not give legitment results with many using the vendor's dyno or "under the table" issues like advertizing. On many occasions, magazines have shown gains and then independant testing has shown zilch.
I've been at some of the research/test sites and have beta tested product - so the idea that mods are inflated in mags isn't always true especially regarding mods discussed here... never mind, this will take more than 30 seconds.

Old 11-01-2005, 10:42 PM
As for racing, no I'm not going to be in Texas or Cali. Ever. You're more than welcome to come up to Kansas City in Novermber or meet me at Steele, Alabama in early 06 when I complete my transfer to Atlanta.
Maybe some day we'll get to race. Good luck with your mods - I'm actually surprised you are considering it.

Old 11-02-2005, 12:06 AM
What applies to the 05 5AT applies to the 03/04 5AT. The truth is the 03/04 5ATs were actually making closer to 280hp, not 260hp. The fan clutch part is a moot point and I appoligize for that. However, all the other mods that are offered for the 03/04 5AT will net the same results when used on the 05 5AT

Oh Lord, here we go again...the "the 03/04 G35 sedans are really as
powerful as the 05 sedans".
Really??
Then why is it that most of the 03/04 auto sedan owners who've driven
the 2005 sedan (say as a loaner car) felt the 2005 was faster?
Why is it that the best magazine times for the 03/04 G35 auto sedans
was in the 6.25 to 60 range and with the 2005 auto sedan Edmunds
got 0-60 in 6.1 seconds (and edmunds is usually slow).
Heck, the 400 pound heavier M35 (with it's same 280 hp / 270 tq rating) has gotten 0-60 in 6.3 seconds. That's equal to what the 03/04 G35 auto sedan has gotten and the 03/04 G35 auto sedan was nearly 500 pounds less than the M35. There IS differences in power between the "old" G35 sedan and the new.

Quit the cry baby justifications. Infiniti had ZERO reasons to rate the G35 sedan less than the coupe had it's power ratings truly been equal to the coupes.
Infiniti made changes to the 2005 car and it's now rated the same as the coupe. The 2005 sedan is a faster car than the 03/04 sedan (albeit a small amount) even though the 2005 car weighs like 90 pounds more too.
To get more speed with more weight requires more power!! Get over it.

And going to your local Infiniti dealer and driving a 2005 for comparison's and coming back and saying, "the 2005 didn't feel any faster than my 2004" isn't proof. First the car you drive at the dealer won't be broken in and therefore probably won't feel any faster than a well broken in 03/04. Second, it's REALLY hard to "feel" a tenth or so in the 1/4 mile from a test drive.

Now onto topic:

Good "mods" for the 2005 auto Sedan (or any car) to start with:
Lightweight wheels and tires!!
The 2005 Sedan's Sport Package 18 x 7.5 inch wheels weigh around 22.5 pounds each. The Bridgestone tires weigh about 27 pounds each.

You can find good 18 x 7.5 or 18 x 8 inch wheels that weigh under 20 lbs.
And you can get a set of Continental ContiSport's in OEM or slightly larger size that weigh only 24 pounds each.

Dropping 6-7 pounds of rotational mass for each wheel/tire combo is going to give you a nice performance gain. Not only in acceleration, but braking, and handling too (if you get a more superior tire in the process). Always a great mod and a perfect one to "start" with.
No dyno testing or track testing to "prove if this mod works" is necessary, it's a fact.
Good luck and have fun

Last edited by Driver72; 11-02-2005 at 12:09 AM.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:35 AM
Originally Posted by Driver72
Oh Lord, here we go again...the "the 03/04 G35 sedans are really as
powerful as the 05 sedans".
Really??
Then why is it that most of the 03/04 auto sedan owners who've driven
the 2005 sedan (say as a loaner car) felt the 2005 was faster?
Why is it that the best magazine times for the 03/04 G35 auto sedans
was in the 6.25 to 60 range and with the 2005 auto sedan Edmunds
got 0-60 in 6.1 seconds (and edmunds is usually slow).
Heck, the 400 pound heavier M35 (with it's same 280 hp / 270 tq rating) has gotten 0-60 in 6.3 seconds. That's equal to what the 03/04 G35 auto sedan has gotten and the 03/04 G35 auto sedan was nearly 500 pounds less than the M35. There IS differences in power between the "old" G35 sedan and the new.

Quit the cry baby justifications. Infiniti had ZERO reasons to rate the G35 sedan less than the coupe had it's power ratings truly been equal to the coupes.
Infiniti made changes to the 2005 car and it's now rated the same as the coupe. The 2005 sedan is a faster car than the 03/04 sedan (albeit a small amount) even though the 2005 car weighs like 90 pounds more too.
To get more speed with more weight requires more power!! Get over it.
Get over what? Why don't you take a gander and read about the ET/MPH the 05 5ATs are turning in the "Drag" section? If you want to mag race, Motor Trend tested two different 03 sedan 5ATs (14.6s@96-97mph), a 04 sedan 5AT (14.7@94mph), and the 05 sedan 5AT (14.7@96mph). Hmmmm....trap speed is an indication of available HP. The 05 is not quicker nor faster.

I took my 03 to the track and did consistent 14.4-14.5@97+ with a Z-pipe (0hp). I haven't seen any 05 5ATs getting those kinds of numbers. Hell, I don't so many 04s doing that either and my 03 is suppose to be the "weak" model because it's has Type I motor, the mechanical fan, a detuned ECU, etc. What will the experts say when my 03 turns some 14.2s@98mph this month is much cooler air and no changes to the car?

Old 11-02-2005, 10:36 AM
Comparing different drag strip tests from different tracks is about
as accurate and conclusive as comparing different dyno tests of
different cars from different dynos.
Which is to say...completely inaccurate and inconclusive.

You asked, "get over what?"
Once again I'll point out your justification response.
Next you'll be saying that the 2005 manual cars with 298 hp rating really got no power change either.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 05 5AT mods