G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

05 5AT mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2005 | 01:54 AM
|
05-G35 Sedan 5AT
05 5AT mods

Ok boys and girls.. for those of us that have stock 05 AT Sedans can you guys with the modded 05s summarize which mods are working on the 05s. I would like to spend some money on my car but with all the hype about mods not working well on 05s I would like to find out if any of you have got real HP/torque gains with intake and/or exhaust mods. Chip reprogramming? Shift kit/valve body mods? What works and what is hype?

Old 10-24-2005 | 02:14 AM
grounding gear and sway bars are some of the best mods you can get. if you dont want to spend much these get you the most bang for the buck. im taking my g back in about two years for the new skyline so im not big on mods but getting sways was probably the best thing i could have done for the 250 bucks i put down.

Old 10-24-2005 | 02:35 AM
|
05-G35 Sedan 5AT
very cool.. i have been thinking about the grounding gear. I dont care about the cost, short of turbocharging, as long as the mod actually gives gains,, I dont want to spend 1000.00 only to make my car louder.

Old 10-24-2005 | 08:03 AM
If you would like to keep it quiter. Than probably get a Z-tube, K&N filter, a plenum spacer, and under pulleys.

Old 10-24-2005 | 09:48 AM
I am saving up to order the grounding kit, but I have a ztube / K&N drop in and I'd say with the ECU reprogramed you get maybe a louder intake noise and maybe 1-2HP?

I was thinking a 3/8" plenum spacer w/ iso-thermal gasket or maybe 1/2" if I feel like redoing the engine cover.

Other than that I'm not too sure what you can do for big gains, I'm researching myself as well.

Old 10-26-2005 | 11:15 PM
|
05-G35 Sedan 5AT
Cost isnt a factor, the car is paid for so I can spend money on it..
noise it not that big of a deal to me as long as there is power to go with it.. I hate nothing more that a loud, slow car.. I think I will try the grounding kit to start. I havent seen any exhaust mods that have convinced me that the 05 gains anything from it although I may try the coupe midpipe.. and I am leary of the plenum spacer.
THere has to be another 05 owner out there that has some more input.

Old 10-27-2005 | 01:38 AM
ENVautoDetailing.com
Premier Member
considering they dont have very much out there for the 05-06's yet there's not much to comment on. I think most of the guys that aren't experiencing any gains or actually losing power are the 6mt. I heard it's because the new rev-up motor in the 6mt doesnt respond well to mods. I ordered my K&N typhoon intake last week so it should be here fri. Ill let you know if i get a noticable gain or not. I'm also looking into the MD iso-thermal 5/16" spacer and UR full pulley set. Maybe the new FUJI sedan exhaust further down the road.

Old 10-27-2005 | 07:29 AM
The important thing when researching mods is some kind of proof. Low hp gains cannot be felt, but are always hyped up due to people trying to justify their purchase. And because before and after dynos are expensive, not many do them.

Unfortuneately, unlike a turbo'd car, there isn't much you can do that's worthwhile without spending a fortune.

Like most autos, the biggest gains to be had, short of nitrous or FI would be changes to the tranny. Torque converter, or even an computer editing tool that could delete torque management, change shift points, etc. They have them for most of the American cars, but not ours.........it's a shame because I understand our auto trannies are strong enough to endure some more aggressive programming.

Old 10-27-2005 | 09:43 AM
Ground Effect Kit

I have researching different ground effects kits for the G35. I found a bunch of different types at www.japanparts.com.

I personally like the Wald ground effects kit.

Old 10-27-2005 | 11:21 AM
Do a Z duct.

Then get a 75sh Zex nitrous kit.. there are some dynos somewhere to show real gains.

Then spend your money on sways, suspension and brakes.

Then go back and work on the intake / exhaust line.

Then its wheels and tires.

have fun. -T

Old 10-27-2005 | 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by SoCalTed
Do a Z duct.

Then get a 75sh Zex nitrous kit.. there are some dynos somewhere to show real gains.

Then spend your money on sways, suspension and brakes.

Then go back and work on the intake / exhaust line.

Then its wheels and tires.

have fun. -T
But wait Ted. Won't he need to check with BrainV, DaveB and Jeff92se to make sure the mods will work?

Old 10-27-2005 | 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by DaveO
But wait Ted. Won't he need to check with BrainV, DaveB and Jeff92se to make sure the mods will work?
Wouldn't hurt seeing that Brian and myself have been working around VQs for well over 8+ years. Jeff has been more involved with the VEs, but he knows plenty about the VQ.

Old 10-27-2005 | 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by vegasG35sedan
I would like to spend some money on my car but with all the hype about mods not working well on 05s I would like to find out if any of you have got real HP/torque gains with intake and/or exhaust mods. Chip reprogramming? Shift kit/valve body mods? What works and what is hype?
There are plenty of NA mods that work and plenty that are hype. Don't expect huge gains from any one single NA mod. Typical gains for things like plenums, spacers, catback exhausts, ECUs, and headers are in the 5-10whp/wtq range. For some mods, there are side effects like additional noise, soft end power, vibrations, etc.

As for hype, there are plenty of "power" mods that are claimed as the Holy Grail yet no dynos or 1/4 times exist to verify the performance legitmacy of the mod. In an effort to keep this thread civil, I'm not going to name the mods. All I can suggest is to research, research, and research before buying a mod. Like everything in life, you really should hear both sides before making a decision.

As for worthwhile power mods, superchargers, turbochargers, and nitrous will easily add 50%+ power. The question is are you willing to spend the money for a turbo/SC ($4,000), required supporting safety/reliability mods (quality gauges, monitors, cooling, fuel pumps, possibly rod bolts, etc $1,000-3,000), and the downtime (tuning, driveability issues, slipped belts, leaks) typically associated with such setups? Nitrous isn't remotely as expensive and is just as effective, but it's not always "on" and just one tuning mistake or switch failure can possibly mean instant catastrophic engine damage.

You really need to know what you're doing when it comes to big power adders, especially nitrous. If you're not a shadetree mechanic, I suggest you not do these mods because they require more than average automotive and tuning skills plus lots of babysitting. If you're not good with cars, you'll find yourself terribly frustrated having to constantly take the car to a local tuning shop trying to trouble shoot problems.

Old 10-27-2005 | 10:14 PM
Premier Member
Premier Member
Originally Posted by DaveB
Wouldn't hurt seeing that Brian and myself have been working around VQs for well over 8+ years. Jeff has been more involved with the VEs, but he knows plenty about the VQ.
If you say so.

Old 10-27-2005 | 10:17 PM
Premier Member
Premier Member
Obviously you haven't looked very well as usual. There are many dynos and 1/4 times out there if you actually look proving mods.

But, where is your data that backs up your claim on the so called 2-3 hp only gain from a switch to a electric fan mod? Because you have yet to do so. And I have seen the results of dynos that show good gains more than 3 hp easily with a electric fan conversion on the G35 and many other cars.

Originally Posted by DaveB
There are plenty of NA mods that work and plenty that are hype. Don't expect huge gains from any one single NA mod. Typical gains for things like plenums, spacers, catback exhausts, ECUs, and headers are in the 5-10whp/wtq range. For some mods, there are side effects like additional noise, soft end power, vibrations, etc.

As for hype, there are plenty of "power" mods that are claimed as the Holy Grail yet no dynos or 1/4 times exist to verify the performance legitmacy of the mod. In an effort to keep this thread civil, I'm not going to name the mods. All I can suggest is to research, research, and research before buying a mod. Like everything in life, you really should hear both sides before making a decision.

As for worthwhile power mods, superchargers, turbochargers, and nitrous will easily add 50%+ power. The question is are you willing to spend the money for a turbo/SC ($4,000), required supporting safety/reliability mods (quality gauges, monitors, cooling, fuel pumps, possibly rod bolts, etc $1,000-3,000), and the downtime (tuning, driveability issues, slipped belts, leaks) typically associated with such setups? Nitrous isn't remotely as expensive and is just as effective, but it's not always "on" and just one tuning mistake or switch failure can possibly mean instant catastrophic engine damage.

You really need to know what you're doing when it comes to big power adders, especially nitrous. If you're not a shadetree mechanic, I suggest you not do these mods because they require more than average automotive and tuning skills plus lots of babysitting. If you're not good with cars, you'll find yourself terribly frustrated having to constantly take the car to a local tuning shop trying to trouble shoot problems.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 05 5AT mods