G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Should I use a jack stand to change a tire?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I use a jack stand to change a tire?

I will be putting on my snows with 17" rims in a couple of weeks on my 05 6 spd.for the first time and thought I would get a 2 and quarter ton hydraulic jack from Sears instead of using the std jack that comes with the car. In the past whenever I had changed tires for flats, I just used the std jack with no jack stand. The guy at Sears said for safety reasons you should use a jack stand and the Craftsman jacks all said "this device is just for lifting and should be immediately secured" This got me thinking as I will have loosened the nuts before the car is lifted so the tire is just coming off and the new one is coming on with nuts put on but not tightened so its a quickie. Is the centering device that is on the new rims an issue regarding time. Can I get away with using no jack stands and is the standard G 35 jack OK for this task. What do you folks do when you change tires-use std jack, get better jack, use jack stands? Thanks.

Old 10-29-2005, 07:00 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Corgidog
I will be putting on my snows with 17" rims in a couple of weeks on my 05 6 spd.for the first time and thought I would get a 2 and quarter ton hydraulic jack from Sears instead of using the std jack that comes with the car. In the past whenever I had changed tires for flats, I just used the std jack with no jack stand. The guy at Sears said for safety reasons you should use a jack stand and the Craftsman jacks all said "this device is just for lifting and should be immediately secured" This got me thinking as I will have loosened the nuts before the car is lifted so the tire is just coming off and the new one is coming on with nuts put on but not tightened so its a quickie. Is the centering device that is on the new rims an issue regarding time. Can I get away with using no jack stands and is the standard G 35 jack OK for this task. What do you folks do when you change tires-use std jack, get better jack, use jack stands? Thanks.
For changing tires I do not use jack stands however that is not the safest way to do it. I have a 3.5 ton hydraulic lift and make sure i am in no way under the car or in a position where the vehicle could fall on me.
I would not use the vehicle jack to change a tire unless there is no option. Although it is designed for changing tires I find it is very flimsy.
I can't answer the question about the centering device although I doubt it will give you any trouble.

Old 10-29-2005, 07:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I highly suggest using the jack stand. It only takes a couple of seconds to set it up properly. Physiotherapy due to a crushed leg, takes a bit longer.

If, however, you absolutely refuse to use a jack stand or are changing the tire at the side of the road, throw the spare under a spot that seems as though it will hold the car off the ground if it ever came crashing down.

Chances are slim that something bad will happen, but you'll definitely kick yourself in the head with your prosthetic limb if it ever does happen to you, especially after knowing that it would only take 30 seconds to go the extra bit for added safety.

Albert

Old 10-29-2005, 07:52 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree. better to be safe than sorry.
C.

Old 10-29-2005, 08:02 PM
+1 don't do it on a slope!

Old 10-29-2005, 08:06 PM
Yeah definitely use jack stands and chock the wheels!

Old 10-29-2005, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, I do. Why risk it? The mentioned chock idea is a good idea, as well. Hey, if it CAN happen, it WILL happen.

Old 10-29-2005, 10:47 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
I've changed over 1000 tires in the last year and a half with a 2 1/2 ton hydraulic jack. Never have i had a problem you just have to make sure its turned all the way tightly. You would have no problem just using a jack. If you know what you're doing you'll be fine. Just make sure you have the car in park and the parking brake on so you dont roll away. stay safe.

Old 10-29-2005, 11:02 PM
Better safe than sorry is right ... I lift it up with the craftsman 2.5 ton jack and keep it up with it but still put a stand next to it though, just in case. It only takes couple seconds to do and if by any chance the jack gives, the stand will prevent serious damage to the G.

Old 10-29-2005, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by G35Gnome
Better safe than sorry is right ... I lift it up with the craftsman 2.5 ton jack and keep it up with it but still put a stand next to it though, just in case. It only takes couple seconds to do and if by any chance the jack gives, the stand will prevent serious damage to the G.
. . . and potentially a serious injury to one's self, for that matter.

Old 10-31-2005, 09:35 PM
A) Where in the name of vulcan are you going to place a jackstand while raising the G35 just high enough to remove/replace a tire?

B) Assuming a good 2.5 - 4 ton floor jack, how long are you going to keep each tire off the car during a winter tire shift?

C) How bloody paranoid are you?

With tongue in cheek concerning the above questions, let me add this. I would never get underneath a vehicle that is jacked. That said, changing a tire with a car on a jack is SOP. Always has been, always will be.

Old 10-31-2005, 11:47 PM
it's a toss up really. My autoshop teacher always told us to use jack stands. In all my years of using hydralic jack I have never had one let go on me. 95% of the time I use jack stands, its just cheap insurance.

what ever you do, do not rely on the super $hitty jack they give you with the car. I was changing a flat out and didn't chock the wheels as I was in a level parking lot. The car rolled back off the jack. luckily the tire was still on and it just rolled back on the flat. The jack however got so bent up that it is now unusable.

Old 10-31-2005, 11:55 PM
my rule of thumb is if I'm going under the car, make sure I have jack stands or a spare tire placed between the body of the car and the ground.

If I'm just changing tires or something where I'm not under the car, I don't use jack stands. From the time the old tire comes off and the new one goes on it usually isn't more than 20-30 seconds.

Yes, jack stands would be the safest option, but by the time you get the jack stands in place, secured, adjusted, you could've prob already removed the old tire and placed on the new.

Old 11-01-2005, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by akrus
I highly suggest using the jack stand. It only takes a couple of seconds to set it up properly. Physiotherapy due to a crushed leg, takes a bit longer.

If, however, you absolutely refuse to use a jack stand or are changing the tire at the side of the road, throw the spare under a spot that seems as though it will hold the car off the ground if it ever came crashing down.

Chances are slim that something bad will happen, but you'll definitely kick yourself in the head with your prosthetic limb if it ever does happen to you, especially after knowing that it would only take 30 seconds to go the extra bit for added safety.

Albert
It's pretty easy to kick yourself in the head with a prosthetic limb, just take it off and swing!

Where would you lift the car with a hydraulic jack? I used to always lift a car with a floor jack under the suspension, is this still a good idea?

Last edited by ABQ_G35; 11-01-2005 at 12:40 AM.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:39 AM
The OEM jacks should be outlawed. They are real pieces of s***. I never use one if I have any alternative at all. Also always use jackstands anytime I need to get the car up in the air. Cheap insurance and months/years of therapy is a real PITA

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I use a jack stand to change a tire?