G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Any 05AT owners get resolution for the rough 2->3 shift?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 05:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any 05AT owners get resolution for the rough 2->3 shift?

Many of you know what i'm talking about, when using MM the 2->3 shift can bang itself into 3rd pretty hard. I'm heading to the dealer next week to get some squeaks fixed and will demo this shift for them.

Old 12-14-2005, 10:11 PM
nt2
I get them in with the coupe, do not really notice it unless I use the MM and rev high.

Old 12-14-2005, 10:44 PM
My horns hold up my halo
I don't get that kind of shift from 2nd to 3rd. Now at WOT i do get that from 1st to 2nd. Never thought much about it though really. Let us know what they tell you when you take it in.

Old 12-15-2005, 11:16 AM
The hard 2-3 shift occurs in every 05 I have driven. Apparently it is not supposed to be a problem. Just let the rpms get a little higher before shifting into third. Heck if you are in the manual mode what are you doing shifting early anyway. If you don't want it to make the clunking noise then leave it in automatic.

Old 12-15-2005, 11:34 AM
The same thing happens to me. It happens most often only when I shift at 4500-5000 rpm with 3/4 throttle and it'll shift hard from 1-2 and 2-3. I think it's normal. Besides, you'd rather have it bang into gear than slowly ease into it. Slow shifting puts too much wear on the clutch bands and makes the tranny run much hotter.

Old 12-15-2005, 01:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Happens to me in my '04 too....but the more throttle, the harder the "bang". It doesn't happen w/ normal/light throttle though. Thought this is normal, as the car has a lot of torque....no?

Old 12-15-2005, 01:29 PM
It's more than just a firm shift, believe me I'd rather them be firm than lazy. But this is a jarring "pop" and is out of profile from the other gear changes. It's not consistently a problem, but it's most exagerrated with 1/2 or 3/4 throttle and shifting around 4K. The only way i can explain it is popping the clutch on a manual. I really doubt there's anything they can do, i certainly don't want them making all the gear changes more lazy just because of this one odd condition that can be mitigated with throttle position.

I prefer mt's, and have owned several including an Integra GS-R and a couple of 5-spd 280ZX Turbo's when i was younger. I decided to try an automatic for several reasons - one being this is the best atuo I've ever driven - even with this minor issue. I use the MM because the shift points are pretty low with just part throttle, and I like to let it go another 1k or so before hitting the next gear.

Old 12-15-2005, 01:49 PM
Click on my name and search all the threads I've started ... one of my recent ones talks about my 10 days in the shop with tranny problems ... and a new tranny! Your problem sounds oddly familiar.

-E

Old 12-17-2005, 03:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"It's more than just a firm shift, believe me I'd rather them be firm than lazy. But this is a jarring "pop" and is out of profile from the other gear changes. It's not consistently a problem...."
------------------------------------

That sounds like mine also.
I would describe a good firm shift like a good firm shove from a big guy.
I would describe the 2-3 shift some of us feel, more as a punch from that big guy.
The shift tweaks the chassis enough to make the dash creak, and jarr the pedals and wheel a small amount.
It varies in intensity each time, and it's pretty hard to reproduce the hardest instance on demand.

Old 12-18-2005, 11:24 AM
Yes Torque, exactly...I'll let you know what the dealer says on Monday.

Old 12-18-2005, 08:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dallasg
It's more than just a firm shift, believe me I'd rather them be firm than lazy. But this is a jarring "pop" and is out of profile from the other gear changes. It's not consistently a problem, but it's most exagerrated with 1/2 or 3/4 throttle and shifting around 4K. The only way i can explain it is popping the clutch on a manual. I really doubt there's anything they can do, i certainly don't want them making all the gear changes more lazy just because of this one odd condition that can be mitigated with throttle position.

I prefer mt's, and have owned several including an Integra GS-R and a couple of 5-spd 280ZX Turbo's when i was younger. I decided to try an automatic for several reasons - one being this is the best atuo I've ever driven - even with this minor issue. I use the MM because the shift points are pretty low with just part throttle, and I like to let it go another 1k or so before hitting the next gear.
Well if it happens at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, that definitely aight right!

Old 12-20-2005, 10:32 PM
Well of course the car did not exhibit the rough shift when i dropped it off, and they weren't able to recreate it. I knew this would happen because it's becoming more difficult to recreate it on demand. For some reason it does seem to be getting better...not sure if it's weather related or what. They did however fix my rear window ticking, and the suspension creaks. For the suspension creaking, they had to replace both front "compression rods?". It's a quiet car once again and didn't cost a dime. Oh and I only live about 20min from Grubbs so that's where I take my G.

BTW, the loaner I had was an 05AT or possibly '06. It only had 3K miles on it and it shifted the same as mine, meaning sometimes a little rough on 2->3 in MM. So I'm not sure what a dealer could do to fix such a prevalent behavior, they certainly can't replace a transmission if the new ones are doing the same thing. At least I have it on record in case the trans goes out later. I did notice the BOSE headset no longer has the problem where if you set either the bass or treble to +5 and then shut the car off, the stereo would sound flat after restarting the car - even though the setting's hadn't changed. This was an issue with the 05's.

Old 09-06-2006, 07:37 PM
Hard 3rd gear shift

After a year and a half of getting no answer on my hard 3rd gear shift, I visited Nissan head office and they contacted the dealer to arrange a test.
Within a block I reproduced the shift bang with the tech in the car. He was quite surprised. We then took a brand new x from the lot, and I drove it the same way. To my surprise it did the same thing, at a slightly lower intensity.
I feel better since I don't have a lemon. We all do.
Nissan calls it normal.
I call it an inherent poor engineering characteristic.

I was told that most drivers don't drive in manual mode, so they haven't had many complaints.
If any of you want to experience this defect, and join us in complaining to Nissan, some day they might update the TCU programming and cure this.

Here is the best way to reproduce it on demand:
Car should be fairly cold, or at least not fully warmed up (this is not recommended for daily driving, just to demonstate the problem on demand)
Start in manual mode, accelerate briskly through 1st and 2nd gears while holding the gas pedal about 1/4 throttle. It must be down enough to be still accelerating while you shift gears.
Shift at about 3 to 4 K.
Into 3rd should feel very hard.

This happens at various times when the car is fully warmed up, which is why I complained.

Old 09-06-2006, 07:57 PM
workin...

thanks for updating us... i'm trying it on my way home from work...

Old 09-07-2006, 12:32 AM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Torque
After a year and a half of getting no answer on my hard 3rd gear shift, I visited Nissan head office and they contacted the dealer to arrange a test.
Within a block I reproduced the shift bang with the tech in the car. He was quite surprised. We then took a brand new x from the lot, and I drove it the same way. To my surprise it did the same thing, at a slightly lower intensity.
I feel better since I don't have a lemon. We all do.
Nissan calls it normal.
I call it an inherent poor engineering characteristic.

I was told that most drivers don't drive in manual mode, so they haven't had many complaints.
If any of you want to experience this defect, and join us in complaining to Nissan, some day they might update the TCU programming and cure this.

Here is the best way to reproduce it on demand:
Car should be fairly cold, or at least not fully warmed up (this is not recommended for daily driving, just to demonstate the problem on demand)
Start in manual mode, accelerate briskly through 1st and 2nd gears while holding the gas pedal about 1/4 throttle. It must be down enough to be still accelerating while you shift gears.
Shift at about 3 to 4 K.
Into 3rd should feel very hard.

This happens at various times when the car is fully warmed up, which is why I complained.
Its not new. I complained 2 years ago and the dealer test drove it. Said it was normal. A LOT of g35 drivers and 350z drivers experience this and none have had their tranny replaced because this caused problems. Seems like the dealer won't do anything due to no mechanical problems arising.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any 05AT owners get resolution for the rough 2->3 shift?