G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Snow Help - Weight in trunk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow Help - Weight in trunk

Hi all,

I got a certified pre-owned 2003 G35 RWD (w/ premium & aero package) this past summer. The car has been great to drive. I recently put Blizzaks WS-50 on the car (205/65/16" - went with a narrower profile that fit my car). 2 cars ago, I used to drive a RWD Isuzu Amigo that was really light in the trunk. I weighed down the back with a ton of weight.

On the G35, I currently have 200lbs (4 bags of sand). Is this too much or little? I got clobbered last week with 6 inches of snow and the G35 did really well. Traction light came on for a nano-second coming up a hill. I live in a very hilly area in Pittsburgh that gets mediocre attention from the PennDot salt crews. Last night, I hit a little black ice and the SLIP light came on again so I want to make sure that the back end is weighed down sufficiently.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by aalvilla; 12-17-2005 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:43 AM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
It's too much. I am doing fine with two old front rotors in the trunk and keeping more than 1/2 tank full. (215/65/16 winters)
With 200 lb you will be prone to understeer and extra gas consumption. It will also increase your stopping distance and if you loose control of the car due to increased intertia it will slide further.
Keep it reasonable. BTW, I weigh only 130lb.

Old 12-17-2005, 12:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah two 50lbs sand bags do it for me and when im not driving in snow i just take them out to save on gas.

Old 12-17-2005, 01:14 PM
It works on my machine
I don't put anything in the trunk and everything seems fine for me. A little slippage but not to much. But then again I live in an area where the snow get cleaned up pretty quick.

Old 12-17-2005, 04:27 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The WS50's are great winter snows, and should be enough, but if you want some insurance, put in about 100lbs and keep the tank full.
C.

Old 12-17-2005, 08:58 PM
I'd also be concerned with sagging springs. After keeping an extra 200 lbs. in the trunk all winter, you rear end is likely to sag after the you remove the weight in the spring. That's why I've never been a big fan of sand bags in the trunk.

Old 12-19-2005, 11:04 AM
Honestly, you don't need any weight in the trunk. Take your car into a large parking lot after a snow fall and get use to driving in the snow. It is all about the skill AND confidence level. Since I live in the Great White North, I have grown up driving in snow. I have driven cars in the snow that had no business being driven (Mustangs with Z rated summer tires... but that is another story from a long time ago), trucks, SUV's... all sorts of vehicles. I drive my G35 daily and the city I live in does not plow side streets so I am driving on ice at least once a day. The car performs fine as long as you are comfortable and that is key. Increase your comfort level in the snow and you will begin to enjoy your car all year long in all weather conditions.

Taurkon

Old 12-19-2005, 12:34 PM
Keep the gas tank as full as possible since the tank is located just ahead of the rear axle under the seat and when full weighs about 120lbs.

gas tank location

Old 12-20-2005, 05:45 PM
"Mustangs with Z rated summer tires... but that is another story from a long time ago"

Wow.....you have defied that laws of darwinism. I was just chatting with a co-worker of mine who still had his summer tires (Z-rated as well) on his Volvo V-70 R (300 HP Station Wagon but AWD) during the last snow storm. He is still trying to shake the jitters from driving home in that mess. How you did it with a Mustang befuddles me.

I took the weight down in the back to 2 bags of sand (100 lbs). No sag in the trunk and feel a little better the back is weighed down. I used to drive a RWD SUV and was used to having the back swing out but still scary when it happens. The traction control is what I need to get used to. I have noticed the light come on but did not feel anything happen. I need to get used to having that aid come on and what it can (and cannot) do.

Old 12-21-2005, 03:06 PM
"Wow.....you have defied that laws of darwinism"

That is one way to put it... I only drove it a few times with snow on the road, but at the time, I was in college and could not afford new rubber. Once you were going, it wasn't bad, but the slightest incline was hell.

Putting weight in the truck reminds me of when I was just a little kid and I was with my Dad and Grandmother going somewhere. We got stuck and all I really remember is my Grandma sitting in the trunk while my Dad attempted to get us unstuck. LMAO....

I still suggest you go find yourself a large shopping mall parking lot late some night while it is snowing. One large enough that you can get going 55 or so, and get a great handle on your car and it's behavior in snow and ice. As a teen, I recall playing "chase" in the winter time where a buch of us with cars would scream around the neighbourhoods in our cars, trying to keep up with the leader. We left more than a few tracks on some front lawns, but it really was useful in learning how to handle slick conditions.

Old 12-21-2005, 05:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only time you really need some extra weigh in the trunk is when you're on a very icy patch, especially going up hill, and the traction is "iffy".

I'm not convinced however that adding an extra 100lbs is going to affect your overall handling all that much, especially if you keep it above or ahead of your rear axle. After all, 100 libs is a lot less than having any adult passenger in your car!

Old 12-21-2005, 05:56 PM
It works on my machine
Originally Posted by Taurkon
"I still suggest you go find yourself a large shopping mall parking lot late some night while it is snowing. One large enough that you can get going 55 or so, and get a great handle on your car and it's behavior in snow and ice. As a teen, I recall playing "chase" in the winter time where a buch of us with cars would scream around the neighbourhoods in our cars, trying to keep up with the leader. We left more than a few tracks on some front lawns, but it really was useful in learning how to handle slick conditions.
I've done this with every car I owed. When I was a kid ~17-18 some friends and I used to see who could keep the car sideways the longest... Ahhh the days before VDC

Old 12-21-2005, 07:04 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Lots of snow in the GTA....
Last year & this year, the G is great with no extra weight added.

That weight will really throw off the ballance of the car.
You should be careful that you don't loose the **** end in the middle of a bend.

Extra weight in the G???
JMHO, totaly unnecessary.

Now for my F150.....
Yes sir, yes sir...2 bags full.

Old 12-23-2005, 01:59 PM
I have have a huge parking lot down the hill from my house. I will give the G a test spin without the weight in the back. However, if you read consumer reports, the one thing they noted on the 2003 G35 was the back coming out unexpectedly during their test runs. That's why weight concerns came into my head.

Old 12-23-2005, 02:28 PM
that is b/c the G35 has power -- I don't think the G needs bags in the trunk -- plenty of weight back there already.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Snow Help - Weight in trunk