G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

My negotiating story - 2 things.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My negotiating story - 2 things.

I went to take a G out for the day today and negotiate a deal. Two things happened. First, the Sales Manager said he was giving me the car at $500 over invoice. When I told him his number was more than $500 over invoice, according to the numbers by Edmunds and Kelly's Blue Book, he said, "those invoice prices do not include dealers advertising costs". He claims they pay $340 a car on the G for dealer advertising costs and that his $500 over invoice is over and above that number. He says all dealers pay that and anyone who things he not getting charged that is kidding themselves. I have heard of advertising costs but I assumed when people on this post said they paid $500 over invoice they did not pay the dealer advertising fee. Second thing, and perhaps more importantly for me is that I saw the G in Twilight Blue for the first time. I loved it. I have always had red cars and was going to get Garnet Fire. I have been trying to find another color I like but nothing has hit me - until I saw the Twilight Blue. The Sales Manager said he will order me an 04' in Twilight Blue for $700 over invoice. I'm sure that also means plus his advertising costs. The Twilight Blue they have in stock is a 6MT and has black interior. I am looking for a 5A in willow. Any thoughts on paying $700 over invoice for an 04' (plus the $350 for advertising costs)?

Old 08-11-2003, 09:08 PM
Re: My negotiating story - 2 things.

Dave,

I responded to your earlier post, so I know you're buying in the same area as I did. Again, I bought my car at Herb Chambers. It's an automatic sedan, with premium, sport, winter, aero & trunk mat. Edmunds shows MSRP of $34,890 which is correct, and invoice of $31,412. I Paid exactly $31,500. That's $88 over invoice, and that was back in June. If anything, the price ought to be even lower now, given that the 2004s will be arriving shortly and dealers *need* to move the 2003s before they become leftovers.

I think you can do better as far as the 2003 car goes. I wouldn't think there's be much difference when it comes to ordering a 2004 in terms of actual dollars over invoice, but I'm not sure.

Best regards.

Old 08-11-2003, 09:28 PM

Also Dave, I mentioned it before, I think, but I'd say it's worth a call to Michael Widlake at Herb Chambers. I found that he dealt very aggressively. There's nothing in it for me... in my experience, if you're serious about buying the car, he'll work hard to get the deal.

Good luck.

Old 08-11-2003, 10:46 PM

Those shylocks at the dealership are just trying to rip you off. They make more than $500 because of dealer holdback. Don't pay any advertising costs, as this is simply a cheap ploy to rip you off.

Old 08-11-2003, 10:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't pay an extra dime per can of soup at the grocery store just because they mailed you a flyer every week. Well, you probably do, but it doesn't show up on the receipt as an advertising fee.

If all the dealerships in your area are all tooting the same horn and quoting you the same advertising fee, then you're stuck with it. More likely, though, they're just trying to get more money out of you. Check with other dealerships. Then, you can either buy from another dealership, or take your quotes back to that Sales Manager. Don't feel bad about it, as he's just as capable of saying "No" to the deal as you are.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 08-12-2003, 08:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember, the dealer does not have to advertise a car that you order, so paying the advertising fee on a preordered car is stupid, assuming you put a deposit down to seal the deal.

bear that in mind, use that argument with the dealer. the only fee you should have to pay is approximately 1-3% over invoice. Anywhere in there is a fair price. I usually negotiate tosomewhere in there and call it good cause any further dealing would be unnecessary headaches on my part.

Better Life thru Chemistry

Old 08-12-2003, 09:09 AM

Davela
I bought the a 2003.5 Black on black auto sedan w/ prem, sport, winter, aero & trunk mat (same as bileman) MSRP 34,890 invoice 31,412 and paid 31,250 back at the end of April from Herb Chambers in Boston. I asked to see the invoice and they happily brought it right out and we started negotiations from there. Herb is definitely the best dealer in the area to bargain with as they sel in the largest volume. Good luck and keep us posted on how things turn out

Old 08-12-2003, 11:21 AM

Oooo... ouch! $31,250!

Way to go!

Old 08-12-2003, 01:07 PM

dang.. the price you pay for getting the car early... i paid msrp and you paid under invoice?! sheesh..

'03 G35 Sedan: ivory/aero body/sport/sunroof
Warning: Objects in mirror are FASTER than they appear

Old 08-12-2003, 01:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow...That advertising fee is a new one...I never used that when I was selling rides...I'm curious- in my area (Phoenix) and I believe Nevada and Texas we charge for AutoMate (Desert Paint Protection)...Any similar charges at your local Infiniti dealerships? That advertising fee is hilarious...

Old 08-12-2003, 01:52 PM

window etching.

'03 G35 Sedan: ivory/aero body/sport/sunroof
Warning: Objects in mirror are FASTER than they appear

Old 08-12-2003, 02:23 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

They got me with the window etching at the last second, too. I was tired of negotiating, and knew I was getting an excellent price anyway, so I just let it go without a fight.

Now, when I went in there to order my FX, I made it crystal clear that etching, dock fee (ours is being held in covered storage at the dealership), etc. were to be included in the final number I offered. If even a penny was added to it when I went to write the check, I would walk out the door and never come back. I ended up getting a heck of a deal on the FX (Everyone loves a repeat customer), so I got my etch fee back eventually [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint
Indianapolis, IN

Old 08-12-2003, 02:57 PM

Which model FX did you purchase? I wanted to get the 45 but the 35 of course has the VQ35 and I'm doing some work to that to in the interest of my company...Good call with the threat of leaving in the case of any added costs...When I was selling Nissans we charged a dock fee that was of course non-negotiable...Window tint also...And of course chroming of the rims and aftermarket leather kits...Yeah, our great storage facility was an outdoor, uncovered lot for everything but the 350Zs...The Zs were stored under a rusted, leaking metal roof and were allowed to sit at weeks on end collecting dust...One of the Zs I sold had been getting dripped on by rust-contaminated water for several weeks...Didn't help that it was silver, either...

Old 08-12-2003, 04:41 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I got the 35. My mom wanted a car, not an SUV. She specifically wanted the Jag X-type, as she was nostalgic for the XJ6 we had. She fell out of love with the x-type as soon as she drove it... it was a pathetic attempt at mid-luxury by Jaguar (no offense to any owners- but the XJ, XK, and S are the only true Jags out there anymore. Take it from a Brit). More to the point, I got her to test drive the FX35 when I went to pick up my G and she fell IN love. They need it to drive around a mountain town in winter, and not to race the Joneses, so it's perfect. I would recommend it highly... I did a write-up of the Murano, RX330, and FX35 a couple of months ago, maybe it's still around here if you want a quick comparo. The only one I would say competes with it in style, luxury, and performance is the Touareg (sp?).
G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint
Indianapolis, IN

Old 08-12-2003, 07:34 PM

I like the Touraeg but with all the parts available to mod the VQ35 I went with FX35...The G was the obvious choice for the engine- the 04 Maxima is front wheel drive, the Altima is NOT worth putting the amount of money into the mods that I'm spending (no offense to 3.5SE owners- just a personal opinion), the 350Z and G35 Coupe are beautiful as the raw sports car and luxury performance sports car but I had to justify whatever car I bought...I figured the sedan could be used to pick things and clients up (of course, Audiobahn has taken up residency in the trunk)...Anyway, the FX35 was an after thought...I used to like the Murano but I sold them and almost every other one caught fire under the dash- once while I was on a test drive...I like the RX330's look but that's about it, and like I said the Tourage is awesome but not as open to mods as the FX...I'll read your write-up...

"All the Power in the World resides in the Eyes..."

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My negotiating story - 2 things.