G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Stillen HiFlow air box today!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Stillen HiFlow air box today!

nuttyprof,

Your K&N Typhoon system looks real good.

How does it sound? What's the cost?

My only concerns with the design... hot air and hot metal.

I don' think your system will be compatable with Stillen's heat shield. And I'd bet money that they won't sell it separately. Have you seen Jim Wolf's Popcharger system. He mounts the filter in almost the same location as your K&N's. He also offers an optional heat shield for his 350Z system. You can see the heat shield in the picture above. He may have one for the G35.

The Toronado. Many people view it with a smile or smirk, including me.

I don't see how it could possibily help fuel injected engines. The stock MAF sensor's screen is not there for bugs, the filter is supposed to catch them. That screen is there to help straighten (and reduce turbulent) air flow across the sensor for more accurate readings.

K&N advertises their air filters not only have less pressure drop (increased air flow) across the filter, but their filters also straighten the air flow as it moves through the element.

If we look at most aftermarket FAI/CAI's, they're designed to maintain laminar air flow through the inlet system, especially across the MAF Sensor. I believe your K&N system, as well as the Injen type systems follow this design. Jim Wolf's Popcharger and Stillen's Hi-flow systems incorporate a velocity ring to increase laminar air flow to the engine. None of theses systems want turbulance.

That's my twenty-five cents worth of opinion.

DaveO

99068-Air Inlet JWT - 1.jpg

Old 09-06-2003, 03:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Stillen HiFlow air box today!

The K&N intake is excellent. Performance is great and the sound is awesome. It hasnt been officially been released, but pricing should be around 200.

Is there a problem using metal for the intake tube? I dont think that the air passing through the tube that quickly will really be affected by the heated tube.

If i want to make a heat shield, what is the best material to use? otherwise i will have to buy the stillen box and have some left over parts.
anyone have any suggestions?

G35S 6MT
K&N Typhoon intake
Technosquare ECU
350Z Springs & Struts (soon)
6-wire ground kit