G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Missed first oil change recommendation..worry?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 06:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That seems pretty low for an 04

When 06's are over halfway through the model year. My 04 has nearly 26K miles.

I was paranoid, this 04 being my first new car, so I did an oil change at 1400 miles after the breaking period.

If it wasn't driven too aggresively, or the oil didn't go low, it is likely OK, though. As others have posted, the required interval can be up to 7500 miles.

Old 05-10-2006, 07:09 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by trey's wife
Check your manual. The only REQUIRED service is listed at 7500 mile intervals. They suggest service at 3750 mile intervals but state that you can choose do the schedule 2 list and that is 7500 miles. They did engineer it so I'm guessing they know.
I agree with you Cheryl, what is done is done, but there also is a time schedule too, at least there is in my Canadian Manual, I guess that's another difference with the US manual.
My only point was, the oil should be changed at least once a year unless he has taken procedures to store it away for longer.

Old 05-10-2006, 08:50 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, no, no there is also a time notation in our manual. I was referring to the comment about different dealers saying different things and then someone saying that they didn't engineer the car, etc.

There is most certainly a time limit included due to the breakdown of the additives in oil in general. I *hope* that the original poster will make sure to adhear to the stated schedule from here on out.

Old 05-11-2006, 05:21 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeinftwayne
My dealer stated that he first oil change chould be at 5k and at ever 7500 thereafter....In fact the oil change alert on my navi system did not go off until 5000 mile for the first time....you should have nothing to worry about
+1.
You can set the navi to alert you at whatever mileage you want.
C.

Old 05-11-2006, 06:26 AM
I changed my oil at 1000 miles then again at 3000, I was paranoid about all the debris left in my oil during the break-in period

Old 05-11-2006, 07:13 AM
i changed mine at 5k...then at 10k...but im gonna change it at every 3k now...btw the car runs perfect

Old 05-11-2006, 04:59 PM
No, no, no there is also a time notation in our manual. I was referring to the comment about different dealers saying different things and then someone saying that they didn't engineer the car, etc.

There is most certainly a time limit included due to the breakdown of the additives in oil in general. I *hope* that the original poster will make sure to adhear to the stated schedule from here on out.
Some of your comments have really got me worried though. Hopefully everything is okay. From now on I will definately do a better job with the maintenance up keep.

Would it be advisable to just take it to the dealer or an independant shop? I would do it myself, but I don't have the time.

How about synthetic fluids?

Old 05-11-2006, 05:06 PM
My horns hold up my halo
I would recommend most certainly taking it to the dealer. I would tell them that you are concerned about how the engine is running and let them sort it out. Don't go in and tell them that you haven't changed the oil in that long - you don't need that noted nor do you need the attitude you are likely to get.

Another thing you need to be concerned about with a car that is driven so little is that not only will the oil age but the gas as well. Also, you need to make sure that at least once a month (might could go 2) that you take it out and run it on the highway to get it up to full temperature for a bit. It's bad for engines to sit like that regardless of oil changes, etc. They really don't like it very much.

Old 05-11-2006, 06:04 PM
I would recommend most certainly taking it to the dealer. I would tell them that you are concerned about how the engine is running and let them sort it out. Don't go in and tell them that you haven't changed the oil in that long - you don't need that noted nor do you need the attitude you are likely to get.

Another thing you need to be concerned about with a car that is driven so little is that not only will the oil age but the gas as well. Also, you need to make sure that at least once a month (might could go 2) that you take it out and run it on the highway to get it up to full temperature for a bit. It's bad for engines to sit like that regardless of oil changes, etc. They really don't like it very much.
Thanks for all the advice Cheryl!

Anyways, I bought this car for my wife, but she does not like driving it to work. She says her parking lot stalls are too close and afraid of getting dings. This I could understand

Maybe I should let her know that the car should be driven more often since it's not good to have it sit there. She only works 5 minutes away.

I guess I can ask to drive it once or even twice a week to work.